OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Upgrade memory in the TP-Link TL-WDR4300?

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi!

In the TP-Link TL-WDR4300; would it be possible to upgrade the installed Spansion FLASH memory S25FL064K to a S25FL128S (or a S25FL256S), and in this way double or quadruple the FLASH memory?

BR//Pekka Akselin

Yes, totally possible, my WDR4300 is running a 16MB flash but not on factory firmware

(Last edited by alphasparc on 28 Jul 2015, 13:33)

Hi again!

OK. Sounds good! I assume You're running OpenWRT on Your upgraded WDR4300?! How did You load the FW, first time, into the (supposedly) empty 16MB FLASH? Before You replaced the 8MB FLASH or after (in-situ)...? And OpenWRT can recognize the new FLASH size, and adapt to it automagically?

BR//Pekka Akselin

(Last edited by akselin on 29 Jul 2015, 10:02)

Backup your art partition first (most important), uboot as well.
Copy the 8MB flash into 16MB using external flash programmer, boot the system, radio will be missing due to wrong art offset.
Sysupgrade an image with unlocked art partition and mtd -r write the backup up art partition then flash the art protected sysupgrade image and reboot.

(Last edited by alphasparc on 29 Jul 2015, 12:42)

alphasparc: Thank You for Your information! I should be able to use it, the coming fall (when it rains and blows storm and there is no business going outside the house). :-)

The discussion might have continued from here.