OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Nexx WT3020: upgrading flash storage, with pictures

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Apr 2018 and 5 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

factory is for flashing via stock firmware web-interface.

flash breed-mt7620-reset1.bin and in the web interface of the breed bootloader,
you should choose the full dump.

hackru wrote:

factory is for flashing via stock firmware web-interface.

flash breed-mt7620-reset1.bin and in the web interface of the breed bootloader,
you should choose the full dump.

I have tried to flash
the openwrt-ramips-mt7620-wt3020-16M-squashfs-factory.bin
vir stock firmware web-interface,
but the router failed to boot without any output on the serial console,
just as flash it on a fresh new chip.

maybe i did something wrong.

what do you mean "the full dump" ?
the openwrt-ramips-mt7620-wt3020-16M-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin ?
if not ,where or how shuld i get it?

Hi guys,

I bought a WT3020 with 8MB on Alibaba. I've flashed it with factory image from here https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … ps/mt7620/ . Now I try to access the router somehow.

1) WAN to my home router = the WT3020 get an IP. The webinterface is not accessible over this IP. SSH gives a login to me but it seems that no root password is set.

2) I tried to connect over telnet in failsave mode. I get the failsave enabled (LED flashes fast) but I get no ping on WAN or LAN connector under 192.168.1.1 (PC is set to 192.168.1.2) Also Telnet times out on both connectors

3) I have soldered RX/TX/GND to a mobile phone datacable. I use putty under windows to make a serial connection. I get a lot of response on booting the wt3020 but all garbage characters. I tried all baudrates from 9600 up to 115200 with 8/1/none/none. The garbage changes with the different baudrates but stays garbage. Is there a special setting needed in Putty? I have checked the soldering and GND (taken from LAN connector solderpoint) - all fine

Has somebody a hint for me?

Example from serial output.

▒▒▒"▒▒▒222▒▒ ▒2&▒▒"02▒▒▒▒▒RT▒)/k▒j▒▒▒Ƚb▒z▒▒▒<f▒▒▒<f!!!!!!9+▒▒
                                                             ▒)▒)▒J▒▒n^▒▒))▒{▒▒*                                          O▒=▒▒!!!!!!!k▒▒r▒I▒B!n▒▒?

(Last edited by turbotommi on 21 Jun 2015, 18:50)

maybe your datacable have not 3.3v ttl levels. or GND is not connected.
ps baudrate 57600, 8n1.

It's an older datacable with 2303 Profilic. USB\VID_067B&PID_2303&REV_0300 GND is soldered to one of the LAN connector shield (where it's soldered to the board, like in in the pictures on beginning of this thread) I cannot open the USB plug without destroying it, to check the exact chip. However, I have ordered a FTD232RL based adapter which supports definetly 5V and 3,3V

(Last edited by turbotommi on 22 Jun 2015, 08:31)

I got it!!! Over night I had the idea that a raspberry pi has an 3,3V UART on it's GPIO pins. So I connected the Router to the raspberry GPIO aligned to this drawing and

screen /dev/ttyAMA0 57600

did the rest.

Attention, if you never have used the GPIO UART before, you have to prepare it before. See: http://elinux.org/RPi_Serial_Connection … erial_port

https://freifunk-halle.org/forum/download/file.php?id=507

(Last edited by turbotommi on 23 Jun 2015, 07:03)

I have a problem: I tried to build an image with imagebuilder because I want to include some Freifunk packages. The image is booting but network interfaces goes up/down in an endless chain. WLAN EEPROM get also not loaded. Long story short - I have to flash over TFTP. This is my first time doing it. The TFTP Server runs fine and I Im connected also serial. I get the following menu

Please choose the operation:
   1: Load system code to SDRAM via TFTP.
   2: Load system code then write to Flash via TFTP.
   3: Boot system code via Flash (default).
   4: Entr boot command line interface.
   9: Load Boot Loader code then write to Flash via TFTP.

I have made a dry test using option 1 with the sysupgrade.bin file. The System starts up fine, the bootlog looks excellent. Can I flash the sysupgrade.bin now on a restart with option 2? What is the different to factory.bin. I found a few tutorials for other hardware which use the factory.bin on this bootloader.

I use the files from here https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … ps/mt7620/

I answer myself, it's the sysupgrade.bin which have to be flashed with option 2

I had bought Huawei HG253 router last year and until now I can't use it it's locked to turkcell superonline company.

there is any way to unlocked it please we need your help dears developers plz help us

Regards

Wrong thread, but openwrt don't support this device anyway

ok thanks,  I know that that's why if you can help me to customize a new firmware for this device ?

no, I cannot

Hi,
is it possible to install kmod rtl8187 driver for use of external wifi adapter in this router? this router is available with openwrt in aliexpress.

the saturn-n 's uboots supports 512mb ddr2 ramchips?

I am very unclear about the technical stuff being discussed in this and other posts, however this post seems to have the right players and most value.

I do not understand the general issue with the delivered u-boot, probably more important, other than loading the OS what u-boot does under OpenWRT.  Does this relate to the fail-safe issue? Can some one dumb this down for me please?

It seems the option (Wt3020 U-boot + OpenWrt) means I will not be able to upgrade to newer version of OpenWRT.

It seems like Breed is not in English (Chinese) but has a GUI, is closed source and not legal.  Not sure why I would (in general) need the gui, but I think I can overclock the CPU (good for openvpn?)

Finally is the saturn-b uboot-nexx.zip offered here which I think is a version of the CleanWRT uboot github / pepe work for this particular router with no GUI.  Not sure more than a couple have tried this.  How does one install this?

I am trying to decide what is the best approach, though it' sounds like doing nothing or the saturn-b version is the approach.  The references to the saturn-b uboot is over six months old, but no other post discusses this (maybe they are just to lazy to search). 

I want to be able to go CC 15.05 RC2 after what ever initial update\flashing needs to be done. I do not want to have to open the box, though the chip replacement does sound appealing.

An installation approach would be appreciated.

I am weighing this against a GL.iNet http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/gl-inet/gl-inet which has 16/64 & 400mhz processor (and not in the TOH).  This is a 580 processor, and probably better to run OpenVPN on, but the AR9331 has other advantages (pepe uboot and better compatibility with other routers I own).  Thoughts/comments?

Thanks... RangerZ

RangerZ wrote:

I am very unclear about the technical stuff being discussed in this and other posts, however this post seems to have the right players and most value.

I do not understand the general issue with the delivered u-boot, probably more important, other than loading the OS what u-boot does under OpenWRT.  Does this relate to the fail-safe issue? Can some one dumb this down for me please?

It seems the option (Wt3020 U-boot + OpenWrt) means I will not be able to upgrade to newer version of OpenWRT.

It seems like Breed is not in English (Chinese) but has a GUI, is closed source and not legal.  Not sure why I would (in general) need the gui, but I think I can overclock the CPU (good for openvpn?)

Finally is the saturn-b uboot-nexx.zip offered here which I think is a version of the CleanWRT uboot github / pepe work for this particular router with no GUI.  Not sure more than a couple have tried this.  How does one install this?

I am trying to decide what is the best approach, though it' sounds like doing nothing or the saturn-b version is the approach.  The references to the saturn-b uboot is over six months old, but no other post discusses this (maybe they are just to lazy to search). 

I want to be able to go CC 15.05 RC2 after what ever initial update\flashing needs to be done. I do not want to have to open the box, though the chip replacement does sound appealing.

I am weighing this against a GL.iNet http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/gl-inet/gl-inet which has 16/64 & 400mhz processor (and not in the TOH).  This is a 580 processor, and probably better to run OpenVPN on, but the AR9331 has other advantages (pepe uboot and better compatibility with other routers I own).  Thoughts/comments?

Thanks... RangerZ

+1

stamasd wrote:
[.. snip ..]
Initializing serprog programmer
Baud rate is 115200 now.
serprog: connected - attempting to synchronize
........Error: cannot synchronize protocol - check communications and reset device?
Error: Programmer initialization failed.

A long time ago, but maybe still helpful: This error message means that your flasher isn't recognized (serprog-duine, frser-duino). It has nothing to do with the flash IC itself!
I had that for different versions as well. Too bad that this affects stm32 vserprog as well because that would be a real fast flash writer wink

The correct output if your serprog Arduino gets detected correctly:

koepi$ time flashrom --programmer serprog:dev=/dev/tty.usbserial:460800 -r 16MB_empty.bin
flashrom v0.9.8-unknown on Darwin 15.2.0 (x86_64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Warning: given baudrate 460800 rounded down to 230400.
serprog: Programmer name is "frser-duino"
serprog: requested mapping AT45CS1282 is incompatible: 0x1080000 bytes at 0x00000000fef80000.
Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q128.V" (16384 kB, SPI) on serprog.
Reading flash... done.

real    12m42.328s
user    0m6.428s
sys    0m12.367s

(Last edited by de_koepi on 31 Dec 2015, 08:52)

I've run into the problem with the Breed bootloader not accepting various firmware file formats and am trying the one based on ClearWRT posted earlier.

By connecting a serial port, I was able to figure out the timing to get into web failsafe mode, the relevant IP address and was even able to flash various firmware packages that Breed could not.

Is there any additional functionality besides web based firmware upgrade?

Thanks.

(Last edited by unmesh on 17 Mar 2016, 04:54)

hackru wrote:

Well, major difference is that chinese uboot is some kind of universal(supports any memory size and type, any flash). This way it's very cool. But it is also a weak point.
This uboot doesn't work well, because, WELL, it doesn't properly boot some images. Some images boot okay, others - no. So, it's like a roulette. With this uboot(from saturn-b), i verified, and all firmwares i have boots properly.

But, this uboot lacks some important features, like network console or, very nice feaure, μDHCP server. At the same time friend of mine reports that he can't enter web-interface using this uboot. Don't know why.

Does this means DHCP server won't launch from boot? anyway the dhcp server will work after flashing corectly the chip, right?

RangerZ wrote:

Thanks... RangerZ

did you work on that? can you update?

i'm not very clear if it works or not. looks like some versions works, others no.
the clearwrt saturn-b boot, work on which version of the WT3020, which chip, and did had success to install last openwrt with recognized new ram chip?

(Last edited by hagfera on 12 May 2016, 14:03)

Did not go with this device, so I do not know.

RangerZ wrote:

Did not go with this device, so I do not know.

could you make a ping test on google server via telnet on your kingston and gli please?
i'm testing the wt3020, i see there is a little packet loss, i would like to compare. See https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=65313

About 40 pings on each device to
ping 216.58.211.67
100% success