OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Just a fYI ---

Look at the output cat /proc/interrupts

Notice how the chipset if mainly just using Processor 0. For the exception of the 1st line, and a few of the bottom lines. 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, Eth0 and Eth1 are all using proc0. This is a issue during load tests because Processor0 becomes 100% loaded whilst processor1 sits mainly idle.

My work around was to add a script to /etc/rc.local that during boot splits Eth0 (proc0), Eth1(proc1, 2.4Ghz(proc1) and 5Ghz(proc0). During Outside NAT loads tests, both processors are utilized (depending on the test), and there seems to a small bump in performance through Eth1 (unconfirmed by others).

Here is the question: Though Eth1,Eth0,2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are set, by default, to affinity of 3... they only grab 1 processor even through affinity_list is set to 0-1. Is this a chipset limitation or a current driver limitation? It seems a better use of resources through IRQ list would be to balance the load between 2 processors, instead of just one.

Thoughts?

Now that there are RCs out do I still have to flash OEM before flashing the latest RC?

It is recommended to flash to OEM first before going to latest RC. You can not update to OEM 1.1.9, so 1.1.8 is required before going to 1.9 and then to RC2. It's crazy to say the least smile 

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt1900ac

(Last edited by davidc502 on 6 Jul 2015, 15:05)

JW0914 wrote:
gaga wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

You can configure a VPN server/client via LuCI (pkg luci-app-openvpn), however the LuCI interface for OpenVPN is extremely convoluted, and even with knowing how to setup a VPN, I got confused using it.  The main reason I install luci-app-openvpn is simply for the ability to quickly glance at the OpenVPN service page to ensure the VPN server is functioning normally.

When you say you locked yourself out, I'm assuming you're referring to the VPN.  At which point/step did you experience this? 

If you're referring to the VPN Server Setup Wiki I wrote, please let me know what information you'd like to see in the How To to make it more understandable for users who've never setup a VPN server before

My main challenge is to understand what all the options and rules are (I can read-up on them, which is probably wise but nevertheless takes a lot of time) and how to really set it up.

It would be great to have some scenario-tutorials, maybe even with a scheme-picture.

For example, my setup looks the following:

* ISP Router on 192.168.2.1
* Linksys WRT1900AC on 192.168.2.2, which serves IPs from 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.150 (the router itself has 192.168.1.1)
* My NAS has the IP 192.168.1.10

Now I would like to get OpenVPN installed on my WRT1900AC, so I can safely access my data on the NAS.

I am sure that already exists, somewhere, but a quick search showed many different solutions for many different versions (of OpenWRT) and I have to find the working one.  :-)

As soon as I managed to get it working, I will report back...

The Wiki I wrote does all that lol

I would encourage you to read that wiki, as I wrote it with the intent of it being streamlined so one can immediately get a VPN up and running, then afterwards learn about different scenarios and all the options from other links (such as the wealth of information contained within all the links at the bottom of my wiki, especially OpenVPN's).

Lol, ok, will do and report back. Thanks!

@kaloz

Any progress on the new release? I understand summer tends to slow things down on that part of the planet.^^

Much appreciated.
-JM

jeremyjack wrote:

Please let me know how this works for any of you all.

I have your script (fancontrol.sh) running now, Works GREAT!

Thanks

hmm so what does this mean:

daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (10129): 20/40 MHz operation not permitted on channel pri=11 sec=7 based on overlapping BSSes

This is for the 2.4GH radio..Radio 1 is set to AC only on channel 149

Will the new fan script make its way into trunk eventually?

sorry for this late post (I've been out running a fireworks show the last few days smile )

for those posting speedtest reports, can you give the dslreports test a try?

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

it not only reports raw speed the way that speedtest.net does, but it also measures the latency on the connection to detect bufferblat. Dave Taht from the cerowrt/bufferbloat team is starting to look into the drivers for these APs, so while they are pretty good to start with, they are going to be getting better. smile

Working with IRQ affinity, I think I have the CPU's balanced out. The load test was using a bit torrent client and 4 torrents maxing out the throughput. It seems the router is much happier and more stable this way. Still it's going to take more time to be sure it is having a positive effect, but so far so good.

cpu

dlang wrote:

sorry for this late post (I've been out running a fireworks show the last few days smile )

for those posting speedtest reports, can you give the dslreports test a try?

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

it not only reports raw speed the way that speedtest.net does, but it also measures the latency on the connection to detect bufferblat. Dave Taht from the cerowrt/bufferbloat team is starting to look into the drivers for these APs, so while they are pretty good to start with, they are going to be getting better. smile

I think you may be looking for more info than this, but I got 64.5mbps down, 4.3mbps up, 51ms latency

davidc502 wrote:

It is recommended to flash to OEM first before going to latest RC. You can not update to OEM 1.1.9, so 1.1.8 is required before going to 1.9 and then to RC2. It's crazy to say the least smile 

Yes I decided to give RC2 a shot and for whatever reason I'm stuck on this firmware now. Device wouldn't flash back to OEM 1.1.8, but thankfully the alternate firmware power on+off trick worked smile

Putting that drama aside, can someone give me a heads up on how to mount an external hdd? Nothing is showing up on System -> Mount Points. I've fooled around with Samba and Minidlna with no success. Despite that little hitch, 5ghz wifi performance is mint - gg!

(Last edited by Transpiror on 7 Jul 2015, 08:33)

Transpiror wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Yes I decided to give RC2 a shot and for whatever reason I'm stuck on this firmware now. Device wouldn't flash back to OEM 1.1.8, but thankfully the alternate firmware power on+off trick worked smile

Putting that drama aside, can someone give me a heads up on how to mount an external hdd? Nothing is showing up on System -> Mount Points. I've fooled around with Samba and Minidlna with no success. Despite that little hitch, 5ghz wifi performance is mint - gg!

mkdir /mnt/shares && mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/shares

is quick depending on the disks fs. You will need the kmod-fs for your system.
usually I just do a mkdir /mnt/shares or whatever you want to call it.
then mount -t ext4 /dev/sda1 /mnt/shares -o rw,sync
in my case I am using ext4 fs.
You have to look in your log to see the name of the device.
Better yet read this.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/storage?s[]=kmod&s[]=fs&s[]=ntfs

Transpiror wrote:

...can someone give me a heads up on how to mount an external hdd? Nothing is showing up on System -> Mount Points. I've fooled around with Samba and Minidlna with no success. Despite that little hitch, 5ghz wifi performance is mint - gg!

Is block-mount and the kernel mod for the filesystem of the hdd installed (kmod-fs-ext4, kmod-fs-ext3, etc.)?

• If it is, find the partition you want to mount in /dev (for example, /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc.)

• Decide in what folder you want to mount the partition(s), and if the folder doesn't exist, create it.  For instance,

mkdir /data ; mount /dev/sda1 /data

If you want the partition to auto mount every time the router is rebooted:

block detect > /etc/config/fstab ; vi /etc/config/fstab 
  • You'll need to edit option target to show the mount directory and change option enabled to 1

My hunch is since it's not showing up under mount points, you probably don't have block-mount installed.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 7 Jul 2015, 17:29)

So I flashed the new update from kaoloz and for some reason I can't telnet nor connect to the router. Is there any suggestions on what I can do? I've tried clicking the reset button a couple times and it won't do anything im still very lost in this and cant figure it out for some reason... im guessing that it may be bricked and ill have to figure out a way to recover it?

oshrizak wrote:

So I flashed the new update from kaoloz and for some reason I can't telnet nor connect to the router. Is there any suggestions on what I can do? I've tried clicking the reset button a couple times and it won't do anything im still very lost in this and cant figure it out for some reason... im guessing that it may be bricked and ill have to figure out a way to recover it?

What version of the hardware do you have? See the posts responding to my issue above.

There are two HW versions out there, and separate firmware downloads for each.

oshrizak wrote:

I'm a bit lost as to why you're flashing Kaloz's build.... it's 6 weeks old, on kernel 3.18.11, and most packages won't install.  Kaloz months back used his own repository, however he changed several months back to the trunk repository.  The RC2 build is probably what should have been flashed.

If the only lights on your router are the power led and the 4 LAN leds, you're bricked and will need to flash via tftp.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 7 Jul 2015, 18:31)

For what it's worth, blindly flashing firmware is a recipe for disaster.  I think it would be extremely beneficial to read the WRT1900 Wiki

JW0914 wrote:

For what it's worth, blindly flashing firmware is a recipe for disaster.  I think it would be extremely beneficial to read the WRT1900 Wiki

I was going over here > http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt1900ac   to someone express a stronger notion to upgrade to RC2 smile  However, it's currently locked by you.. I hope you're doing it smile

Cheers,

davidc502 wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

I was going over here > http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt1900ac   to someone express a stronger notion to upgrade to RC2 smile  However, it's currently locked by you.. I hope you're doing it smile

Cheers,

I think something may have been lost in translation --> "to someone express a stronger notion to upgrade to RC2"

After I saw your post about Kaloz's build, I thought it might be helpful to accentuate and differentiate between the firmware versions on the WRT1900 Wiki, so I separated the individual firmwares via a blank space and changed each firmware listing to green (combined with re-titling page to have a more cohesive Table of Contents)

(Last edited by JW0914 on 7 Jul 2015, 19:19)

well basically I think i uploaded the wrong hardware version by accident (guess i shouldnt have rushed into fixing my voip issues i was having) however now i dont have a router and just running it from my modem/router. Anyways... is any CP2102 usb-ttl going to work or is there a specific one I should be using.. i have one from my pi that should be able to work for this.

oshrizak wrote:

well basically I think i uploaded the wrong hardware version by accident (guess i shouldnt have rushed into fixing my voip issues i was having) however now i dont have a router and just running it from my modem/router. Anyways... is any CP2102 usb-ttl going to work or is there a specific one I should be using.. i have one from my pi that should be able to work for this.

It has to be a 3.3v USB-TTL, so if the one you have is 3.3v, and not 5v, it'll work.  If the cable you have is 3.3v and you don't know which of the leads are gnd, tx, and rx, you should be able to find a manual online from the manufacturer that specifies which is which.

EDIT
...the 3.3v may not apply if using just gnd, tx and rx, but to know for sure, you'd have to find out if the 3.3v and 5v use the same voltages on tx and rx

(Last edited by JW0914 on 7 Jul 2015, 20:01)

JW0914 wrote:
gaga wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

You can configure a VPN server/client via LuCI (pkg luci-app-openvpn), however the LuCI interface for OpenVPN is extremely convoluted, and even with knowing how to setup a VPN, I got confused using it.  The main reason I install luci-app-openvpn is simply for the ability to quickly glance at the OpenVPN service page to ensure the VPN server is functioning normally.

When you say you locked yourself out, I'm assuming you're referring to the VPN.  At which point/step did you experience this? 

If you're referring to the VPN Server Setup Wiki I wrote, please let me know what information you'd like to see in the How To to make it more understandable for users who've never setup a VPN server before

My main challenge is to understand what all the options and rules are (I can read-up on them, which is probably wise but nevertheless takes a lot of time) and how to really set it up.

It would be great to have some scenario-tutorials, maybe even with a scheme-picture.

For example, my setup looks the following:

* ISP Router on 192.168.2.1
* Linksys WRT1900AC on 192.168.2.2, which serves IPs from 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.150 (the router itself has 192.168.1.1)
* My NAS has the IP 192.168.1.10

Now I would like to get OpenVPN installed on my WRT1900AC, so I can safely access my data on the NAS.

I am sure that already exists, somewhere, but a quick search showed many different solutions for many different versions (of OpenWRT) and I have to find the working one.  :-)

As soon as I managed to get it working, I will report back...

The Wiki I wrote does all that lol

I would encourage you to read that wiki, as I wrote it with the intent of it being streamlined so one can immediately get a VPN up and running, then afterwards learn about different scenarios and all the options from other links (such as the wealth of information contained within all the links at the bottom of my wiki, especially OpenVPN's).

Wanted to post quickly some pictures...this board is not really the user friendliest out there, isn't it?

Anyways, after following the tutorial I get in Luci the following:

http://s22.postimg.org/4grlougox/error.png
bilder kostenlos hochladen

http://s12.postimg.org/vewmyasy5/Traffic_Rules.png
bilder hochladen kostenlos

Followed by this message in Android:

http://s13.postimg.org/y7tuqa6g7/Screenshot_2015_07_07_20_58_23.png
bild upload

Don't know where I went wrong...any idea? What would you need from me to be able to help me?

(Last edited by gaga on 7 Jul 2015, 20:11)

JW0914 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

Cheers,

I think something may have been lost in translation --> "to someone express a stronger notion to upgrade to RC2"

After I saw your post about Kaloz's build, I thought it might be helpful to accentuate and differentiate between the firmware versions on the WRT1900 Wiki, so I separated the individual firmwares via a blank space and changed each firmware listing to green (combined with re-titling page to have a more cohesive Table of Contents)

I didn't know if everyone was in agreement about stressing how "recommended" it is to flash to RC2. smile and perhaps there should be a change to the main page to reflect the recommendation.

Maybe a flashing .gif? lol

It seems a lot of folks get into trouble trying the other builds. It's okay, as people are entitled to do what they want. I just didn't know if we were stating RC2 as clearly as we could?

just a thought.