OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Belkin F7C027 AC relay (a.k.a. WeMo smart switch)

The content of this topic has been archived on 14 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

From the bootlog, the hardware and u-boot version looks very similar to the  TRENDnet TEW-714tru, which I am working on. I've been looking at the work done by wingspinner getting OpenWRT onto the HooToo Tripmate nano.

The good news is that the Ralink 5350F SOC is well-supported by OpenWRT, with many devices working already, so it shouldn't take too much work. The bad news is that this Ralink u-boot seems pretty useless for OpenWRT. I can't get it to boot any kernel I try, keep getting "LZMA error 1".

I noted that wingspinner had to replace the u-boot to get anywhere, so I've been following that line of attack... So far I've bricked both of my units hmm... I'm currently waiting on delivery of a test clip, which in conjunction with my Raspberry Pi should enable me to unbrick them by in-circuit programming of the SPI flash.

Awesome, I'll probably get something going with your help smile
How do I get a proper OpenWRT image together? Or which one should I choose?

Don't put too much faith in me, I'm figuring this out as I go too!

Do you have serial yet? You'll need it to get anywhere with an unsupported device. First thing is to get serial access to the bootloader, then try tftping an image into it and booting it from RAM. As for which image, well I'd go through the list of RT5350 based devices and pick the one with the closest hardware to your device - as I understand it, the differences are fairly minor, just changes to the configuration files and packages to suit the specific hardware. A build for one RT5350 system is likely to boot ok on a different one with the same amount of RAM. You'll need the .uimage format file for booting from u-boot.

I'll be interested to see if you hit the same LZMA error I get... if you have to experiment with replacing the u-boot, the probability of bricking the device is very high... you'll really need a way to program the flash. I'm betting on the test clip for in-circuit programming, because wingspinner has been able to do this with another RT5350 device, but I havent proved it yet... Should receive the clip in a few days, so I'll let you know how I get on.

So the test clip arrived yesterday. I managed to get the new bootloader onto the device and de-brick it by reflashing the replacement u-boot. I now had a working router, but couldn't get into the bootloader for some reason, I think the u-boot env was messed up...

So as I now had a fullproof way to de-brick, I experimented with flashing a full image of CC rc2 built for the HooToo tripmate nano... Success! I now have a working OpenWRT install.

I haven't had time to fully test it and find out if everything works properly, but things are looking very promising.

The discussion might have continued from here.