OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Need help bricked Hame MPR A2 Router

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Apr 2018 and 4 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I tried to update the OpenWRT image on my Hame MPR A2 router
I followed the steps given in following link to generate openwrt-ramips-rt305x-mpr-a2-initramfs-uImage.bin & openwrt-ramips-rt305x-mpr-a2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hame/mpr-a2

After uploading openwrt-ramips-rt305x-mpr-a2-initramfs-uImage.bin  thru Factory UI, the Device is not starting. Its continuously shows RED LED. No wifi available
Reset does not work
Please help me

On the wiki page you refer to it says "The serial port pads are located under the internal battery and are clearly labeled. Serial port settings: 57600n8".

So I would make a serial connection and then follow the wiki on debricking.

Hi all,

same issue, tried to flash new openwrt firmware and now my MPR-A2 after short time blinking red always shows red. I have looked for serial interface to connect to, but not sure that it's usable:
 soldered

As you see serial interface contacts are not soldered. What can I do with it?

>As you see serial interface contacts are not soldered. What can I do with it?

Scrape off the green solder mask.  Then you can solder wires to the copper pads.  Just scrape a small section of the ground plane.  That might be the hardest to solder because of heat transfer, so do that first.

thank you, lizby!

I finally managed to solder serial (connected GND, RX and TX to 5, 2 and 3 pins of DB9), but in the terminal I see garbage. I've tried to play with the serial port baudrate (started from 57600 8N1), tried gtkterm and putty (in Ubuntu) but no luck.
I see something only if I connect the board via USB in addition to serial (battery is also connected)

Do I need to do anything in addition to have readable data?

When you say DB9, do you mean to a RS232 serial port (usb or real)?  In that case you might not be dealing with TTL voltage levels on the PC side, and may have a device which is expecting "inverted" rather than the "true" voltage levels which the Hame MPR A2 is putting out.  You need a ttl serial device like this: 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-USB-2-0-to-T … 27e4f3c266

If your device used standard RS232 voltage levels, it is possible that the MPR A2 could have been damaged.

Well, I tried to connect to PC COM (RS-232) directly via DB9. sad
I've ordered the ttl device that you recommended, hope the route is still alive. By the way, I'm trying to flash it via tftp, my own build is suspicious to me, so I took binary from here: http://veedee.in/forum/index.php?topic=171.0.

From wireshark I see that the binary was downloaded by Hame. How should I understand that the firmware has been successfully applied (or at least tried)? From other forums I learned that serial connection is not necessary for tftp flashing if I hold reset button during power on.

(Last edited by croooter on 7 Jun 2014, 18:13)

I managed to flash one of openwrt firmwares via tftp (set ip to 192.168.1.55), uname -ra returns: Linux OpenWrt 3.10.36 #2 Sat May 31 23:17:03 MSK 2014 mips GNU/Linux.

But the problem is that it doesn't have any web interface, when I login via telnet I see just a few files in the mounted filesystem. Can it be incomplete?

When you login via telnet, what do you see when you do "ls /"?

What is your network's router IP?  If 192.168.1.1, then you can change the A2's to something different (e.g., 192.168.1.21) by editing /etc/config/network with vi (or by using uci)--set the gateway and dns options also.  If you can do this and telnet back in, then you should run passwd to set up your password.  Note that this will disable telnet, so you will need to use ssh to get in.

Then, if you run a wire from the A2 to your network router, can you ssh in from your PC (for instance, using putty)?  If you can, does "ping www.google.com" give you a response which shows you're connected to the internet?  If it does, then provided you have space, you can install luci to get the web interface:

opkg update
opkg install luci
/etc/init.d/uhttpd enable
/etc/init.d/uhttpd start

Thank you for the hint! By the way, it looks like the first firmware that I uploaded via web interface is somehow working, upload via tftp doesn't change anything (probably it does not apply any new firmware from tftp without confirmation from serial console).

Anyway, I managed to configure it, but something is wrong with filesystem - says no space. What can be done in this situation?

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg update
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … ckages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/barrier_breaker.
root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install luci
Installing luci (svn-r10276-1) to root...
Collected errors:
* verify_pkg_installable: Only have 0kb available on filesystem /overlay, pkg luci needs 1
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci.
root@OpenWrt:~# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                    14776       556     14220   4% /tmp
tmpfs                      512         0       512   0% /dev
root@OpenWrt:~# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=512k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,noatime)
root@OpenWrt:~#

tmpfs is RAM--you need available flash to install packages.  When you do "df", what is the line for rootfs?

where should I get the line you're asking about?

Finally I managed to get my device back by flashing one of original HAME binaries. I used tftp + serial interface (without serial console I couldn't tell the device to use firmware downloaded via tftp). I also successfuly flashed one of OpenWRT images which I downloaded from internet.

Now my problem is that it works only with stock/pre-built binaries. When I build my own firmware exactly following the wiki (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hame/mpr-a2) I get file
openwrt-ramips-rt305x-mpr-a2-initramfs-uImage.bin with size 2783291 bytes, while the original firmware is
5538316 bytes, file name A2_v1.3_2.3.105.214_20120730031800.bin - official is about two times bigger.

When I flash my image the www directory is empty and the router has no webUI, only telnet/ssh are working, downloading using opkg doesn't work - "no free space". 

Can anybody give me his/her working firmware built recently according to the wiki? Or am I missing something in flashing steps?

(Last edited by croooter on 15 Jun 2014, 07:48)

Run the command "df" and provide the entire output.  With a 2.7 meg binary, you should have free space for using opkg.

After you telnet in, have you run "passwd", rebooted, and logged in with ssh?

Hi,
regarding passwd & ssh login - all done.

See the df output:
root@OpenWrt:~# df -mh
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 512.0K 212.0K 300.0K 41% /
/dev/root 2.5M 2.5M 0 100% /rom
tmpfs 14.6M 56.0K 14.5M 0% /tmp
tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock5 512.0K 212.0K 300.0K 41% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay 512.0K 212.0K 300.0K 41% /

Looks like I finally managed to make it working. Thank you, lizby!
What I did: I have configured again lan for home network and Internet, downloaded and installed luci, then executed the commands /etc/init.d/uhttpd enable; /etc/init.d/uhttpd start
Some minor configuration changes and now my hame seems to work. I will test it with 4G usb dongle in the next days, so far it successfully shares local network over wifi. What is important - settings survive reset/reboot.

The topic is closed, at least for me. Thank you again, lizby!

(Last edited by croooter on 15 Jun 2014, 17:48)

Glad it's working.  Do you know what you did to make it work? 

The df output shows 300K available for opkg to install packages in.  I don't know how much luci takes.  If that df was before the installation of luci, what does it say now?

now df -mh output is:

root@hame:~# df -mh
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                    4.9M    992.0K      3.9M  20% /
/dev/root                 2.0M      2.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    14.4M     72.0K     14.4M   0% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock5            4.9M    992.0K      3.9M  20% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay        4.9M    992.0K      3.9M  20% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
root@hame:~#

what I did - I tried to upload my firmware via the webUI again when it first started somehow working from another build.

I have a situation:
I've tried to flash the Uboot with a program called "onekeyRouterUpgrade_7.31" and I bricked it (I used the "uboot_5350.1.1.8_20120206.bin" version). I did this by entering failsafe mode (reset key pressed + power on the router) and using the program (downloaded from ofmodemsandmen.com/downloads.html).
Now, when I try to open the router in normal mode or failsafe mode, only the the blue led is lith but it's dim, not bright. I don't get any signal from the ethernet port so I opened it up and soldered a Nokia CA-42 cable.
Image bbcode test
I'm not sure I've soldered it fine but I'm not getting any signal from hyperterminal or putty when I try to connect to it.

(Last edited by phykus on 27 Oct 2014, 20:48)

Croooter, I've gone the exact same path as you...

Ended up with only original bootloader working. Downloading fine via tftp.. then nothing.
Could you please tell a little more on how you connected to the serial interface and what you wrote to start the flashing.

Btw generally speaking is it normally so that tftp doesnt start the flashing automatically. It seems so strange considering the automatic download and so on. If serial is needed why didnt they initiate the downloading also via serial.

BR
Kim

croooter wrote:

Finally I managed to get my device back by flashing one of original HAME binaries. I used tftp + serial interface (without serial console I couldn't tell the device to use firmware downloaded via tftp). I also successfuly flashed one of OpenWRT images which I downloaded from internet.

Now my problem is that it works only with stock/pre-built binaries. When I build my own firmware exactly following the wiki (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hame/mpr-a2) I get file
openwrt-ramips-rt305x-mpr-a2-initramfs-uImage.bin with size 2783291 bytes, while the original firmware is
5538316 bytes, file name A2_v1.3_2.3.105.214_20120730031800.bin - official is about two times bigger.

When I flash my image the www directory is empty and the router has no webUI, only telnet/ssh are working, downloading using opkg doesn't work - "no free space". 

Can anybody give me his/her working firmware built recently according to the wiki? Or am I missing something in flashing steps?

Where were you able to get the original Hame binaries for the A2? I can't seem to find them. In the website they only have the A1 firmwares. I'm trying to debrick mine by tftp using ethernet and I just need the right .bin file.

BladeR40k wrote:

Croooter, I've gone the exact same path as you...

Ended up with only original bootloader working. Downloading fine via tftp.. then nothing.
Could you please tell a little more on how you connected to the serial interface and what you wrote to start the flashing.

Btw generally speaking is it normally so that tftp doesnt start the flashing automatically. It seems so strange considering the automatic download and so on. If serial is needed why didnt they initiate the downloading also via serial.

BR
Kim

croooter wrote:

What's the status of your repair? Were you able to make it work? I also used the same files as you and now I'm stuck with the faint blue light as well. I can't get the failsafe mode bright blue light to start anymore.

phykus wrote:

I have a situation:
I've tried to flash the Uboot with a program called "onekeyRouterUpgrade_7.31" and I bricked it (I used the "uboot_5350.1.1.8_20120206.bin" version). I did this by entering failsafe mode (reset key pressed + power on the router) and using the program (downloaded from ofmodemsandmen.com/downloads.html).
Now, when I try to open the router in normal mode or failsafe mode, only the the blue led is lith but it's dim, not bright. I don't get any signal from the ethernet port so I opened it up and soldered a Nokia CA-42 cable.
Image bbcode test
I'm not sure I've soldered it fine but I'm not getting any signal from hyperterminal or putty when I try to connect to it.

back with unbricking the router - now it's almost working, except for missing luci (web-interface) - I can get access via telnet, but I can't install luci - attempt to download packages fails:

root@OpenWrt:/# opkg update
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … /Packages.
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … /Packages, wget returned 1.

where to download luci now?