OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi guys.

I'm thinking of buying this amazing router and I want to ask... does the router's fan work constantly or just on heavy load / high room temperature?

(Last edited by djlosar on 21 Jun 2015, 13:08)

djlosar wrote:

Hi guys.

I'm thinking of buying this amazing router and I want to ask... does the router's fan work constantly or just on heavy load / high room temperature?

On OpenWRT, the fan is controlled by a script and turns on when the router is rebooted, stays on for about 30 seconds or so, then shuts off.  I've never had the fan actually turn on due to usage in the 6 months of having the router... or if it did, it was at such low rpms it made no sound.

Thank's for the info JW0914! :-)

jeremyjack wrote:
RickStep wrote:

A fan control flowchart created in Visio 2013 is available here:

I am not able to program this.

Rick S

. . . I worked up something in a shell script that follows this pretty closely. You can download it here (apologies if the formatting/styling is weird, I'm not used to working in shell):
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jjack … control.sh

, . . . I believe that I have all of the logic in place, I just haven't had a chance to test it very much. Please try it out and let me know how well it works for you all.

Thanks for the quick turn around time for the code.

Personally I haven't run into any heavy loading issues.  The  flowchart was generated in response to:

Chadster766 wrote:

Did anyone notice the change in load in the Top log before failure? #Edit: @quagga did smile

5 minutes before failure:
Load average: 0.07 0.04 0.05 1/52 5728

Just before failure:
Load average: 5.93 2.46 0.96 3/54 5743

After the failure occurred the LEDs were frozen.

I monitored the temperature sensors right after reboot tried to immediately continue to load the WRT1900AC 5Ghz signal. I was not able to get the load up that high again but one of the temps and I'm sorry I can't remember exactly which one but I think it was CPU rose very quickly at almost a degree a second from 55 to 68 degrees.

I believe the solution is to have the a program (not script because we need faster reaction time) to monitor load and that ramps the fan from 0 to 100% accordingly. With fan at 100% when load is 1.50 which should be 75% CPU usage on a Dual Core system. I suggest pole time  greater than 250ms and less than or equal to .5s

It will be some time for me to do some "artificial" testing. Time constraints and bandwidth until the next billing cycle are an issue for a while. Between family members use of Netflix and My grandson and friend burning through 200GB a few days ago from Steam our 350GB monthly limit is nearly exhaused.

There are a few here that could benefit from your code and give it a try perhaps after you post back from your initial round of testing.

Issues with the WRT1900AC firmware have been on going for close to 15 months and I can just see family members cringe when they hear that the router will be down for a while; again.  Chadster too is using this router for a commercial purpose and reduced or no downtime there is the target.

Don't be discouraged if responses to "real world evaluation" take several days to several weeks to determine if extra cooling is the fix for WIFI crashes.

Thanks again.

Rick

Seems to me the wifi crashes when the last iphone disconnects.. I have a house full of them, and that's been my observation. As for load and CPU, the long term monitoring shows this system runs pretty much idle most of the time. Of course I don't have much installed other than the RC2, so I'm not creating much demand by watching video and surfing the web.

My last testing with RC2 shows load was not high before either of the 2 crashes.

LOAD Graph

(Last edited by davidc502 on 21 Jun 2015, 18:57)

Chadster766 wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:
Kaloz wrote:

Pushed to both CC and trunk.

Fantastic! I'm curious what the results will be when I put it on a couple of production WRT1900AC V1 units.

Crap it looks like they only fixed that issue on chip 8897. 

Which router has chip 8897? Why wouldn't they fix 8864 first which is the chip most are concerned about?

Maybe I'm missing something here but I can't roll this change out in any case.

This is in the code (I think the driver can be built for both)

Select to build the driver supporting the:

Marvell Wireless WiFi 88W8864 modules
      Marvell Wireless WiFi 88W8897 modules

gufus wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

Fantastic! I'm curious what the results will be when I put it on a couple of production WRT1900AC V1 units.

Which router has chip 8897? Why wouldn't they fix 8864 first which is the chip most are concerned about?

The OP of issue#20 has already confirmed the fix doesn't work for 88W8864.

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues … -113844068

Chadster766 wrote:
gufus wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

The OP of issue#20 has already confirmed the fix doesn't work for 88W8864.

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues … -113844068

Thanks for the info smile

Chadster766 wrote:

Looking on the web, both Mamba and Cobra have the 88W8864, don't know about Caiman.

WRT1900AC(v1) - Mamba
WRT1900AC(v2) - Cobra
WRT1200AC - Caiman

I was wondering if anyone knows a bit about fw3/iptables to possibly help me figure out why I'm getting a few errors.  The errors can be found here: Post 280806

More likely than not, the company selling it is either out of stock or it hasn't been released yet.  eBay companies will do the same thing, as it's easier to jack an item's price up astronomically than to remove the listing.  If some buyer is really determined and chooses to buy it with the astronomical price, they'll get their money refunded by the seller.  99% of Amazon and eBay companies aren't doing this to cheat customers, but to prevent the customer from buying a product they're out of stock on and aren't sure when they'll have more in stock.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 21 Jun 2015, 23:33)

Will try RC2 again. Will put all iphones on 2.4Ghz, and see if there is a difference in stability.

JW0914 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

The question is why???

See my reply above =]

Yeah, I missed the point about jacking up the price. Got it.

Thanks,

David

davidc502 wrote:

Will try RC2 again. Will put all iphones on 2.4Ghz, and see if there is a difference in stability.

Does your apple device(s), or anyone's, cause issues on all channel types (AC, N, A, G) and all channels?  I'm not an Apple fan and don't have any Apple devices, however I was wondering if maybe a temporary fix for individuals experiencing issues when connecting Apple devices could be isolating if any channel type(s)/channels prevent the issue(s) from occurring.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 21 Jun 2015, 23:56)

JW0914 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Does your apple device(s), or anyone's, cause issues on all channel types (AC, N, A, G) and all channels?  I'm not an Apple fan and don't have any Apple devices, however I was wondering if maybe a temporary fix for individuals experiencing issues when connecting Apple devices could be isolating if any channel type(s)/channels prevent the issue(s) from occurring.

Will start testing.

Right now, I have all the iphones (two 5s and one 4S)isolated to n on 2.4Ghz. 

I've gone ahead and started monitoring Load, CPU, and Eth1 Bandwidth utilization again. Sometime tomorrow, I'll start developing system log monitoring. Is there anything of interest that should be monitored? Error? Wifi Errors or disconnects?

I may be mistaken, but I could have sworn cpufreq was included in one of the custom builds I had been testing. From what I can see, it's nowhere to be seen in RC2.

Is there a reason it's not available as a package?

Does anyone know if these options are still available for wifi?

Inactivity Timeout Options

Name     Type     Required     Default     Description
disassoc_low_ack     boolean     no     1     Disassociate stations based on excessive transmission failures or other indications of connection loss. This depends on the driver capabilities and may not be available with all drivers.

ap_max_inactivity     integer     no     300     Station inactivity limit in seconds: If a station does not send anything in

ap_max_inactivity seconds, an empty data frame is sent to it in order to verify whether it is still in range. If this frame is not ACKed, the station will be disassociated and then deauthenticated. See hostapd.conf for more information.

skip_inactivity_poll     boolean     no     0     The inactivity polling can be disabled to disconnect stations based on inactivity timeout so that idle stations are more likely to be disconnected even if they are still in range of the AP.

max_listen_interval     integer     no     65535     Maximum allowed Listen Interval (how many Beacon periods STAs are allowed to remain asleep).

root@OpenWrt:/tmp/run# find / -name hostapd.conf
root@OpenWrt:/tmp/run#

However, I did find these in tmp.

/tmp/run/hostapd-phy0.conf
/tmp/run/hostapd-phy1.conf

Looks like these shouldn't be edited directly?

(Last edited by davidc502 on 22 Jun 2015, 23:13)

Sorry, posts 5801 to 5800 are missing from our archive.