OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Luci/DynDNS, multiple domains

The content of this topic has been archived on 8 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hey folks.  I 'thought' I had opened a bug report on this, but now I can't find this bug listed.  It might be a few days until I can open a new bug, so I thought I'd post here and get some input.  I'm dealing with a neighborhood power outage due to some flooding...

Anyway, at home, I have two domains that get updated by my dyndns config in OpenWrt, and I'm either running Backfire or Attitude Adjustment.  Can't verify which at the moment, see above.  In Luci, I had both domains configured in a single entry, hostname entered in the format: example1.com;example2.com

My DynDNS provider accepts this format, and even recommends it for multiple domain updates since it's one update rather than multiple.

Running Chaos Calmer, I attempted to duplicate this setup, and the Luci interface complained about the DNS name, and wouldn't save my entry.  I was able to get around this by editing the config file directly.  My router with CC is only running as a test device at present and is not in production, so I'm not sure that this edited config will actually work, but don't see why it wouldn't.

So, my question to those still following along, if you have multiple domains, do you just create separate entries, or have you kludged something together that works for multiples?

The bug report I thought I had filed was just against the Luci module being too strict about checking the hostname, but if there is some deeper reason for this, I'd love to hear about it.

Hi,
the ticket is still open: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/19632 and I send an answer short term.
Here again:
From my point of view it's technical not possible to run ddns-scripts Ver. 1.0.0 without errors, because the command used to verify your domain/host is the nslookup command. But nslookup did not accept a comma or semicolon separated list of hosts to verify.
That's the reason why new luci-app-ddns only accept ONE hostname.
Old ddns-scripts not logging every error to logfile/syslog. Try your configuration running dynamic_dns_updater.sh from console.
#> dynamic_dns_updater.sh [sectionname]  1
As already asked in the response to your ticket:
- are you running a different backend behind luci-app-ddns ?
- send me a copy of your /etc/config/ddns file. (If you prefer per direct mail)
Christian

You might have to file a report on https://github.com/openwrt/packages against luci-app-ddns if you wish to do so, don't know if the maintainer scans the forums.

I monitor openwrt/packages and openwrt/luci on Github also Developers and General Discussion here in the forum and OpenWrt tickets.
For LuCi issues the location is https://github.com/openwrt/luci
Christian

Chris, thanks for finding that ticket and your response.  Mostly I was trying to determine if this was an unusual situation, or if others were also wanting or able to combine updates in a single entry.

I will follow up in that bug report more when I'm home this evening, now that power is back on, and respond more to your questions there.  I suppose what would be needed would be for the hostname to be parsed before sending it to nslookup for resolution.  I will see if I can dig into that script a bit more tonight.

I'm not sure how many other DynDNS providers allow multiple hostnames in a single update, I can't imagine that mine is unique in that aspect.

Jim,
there are some DynDNS providers accepting multiple hosts in a single update and some others that update multiple hosts internally with one given host.

ddns-scripts was designed to update one host per section fitting for most users.

The following settings should do the job for you:
In Luci: servicename --custom--
in /etc/config/ddns remove option service_name
in option domain / hostname put in one of your hosts/FQDNs that needs to be monitored/updated
in option update_url / Custom URL put
http://www.dnsexit.com/RemoteUpdate.sv?login=[USERNAME]&password=[PASSWORD]&myip=[IP]&host=...
behind host= fill in the semicolon separated list of the hosts/FQDNs that you want to update as a "hardcoded" list.

Do not edit the /usr/lib/ddns/services* files because they might change on next update.
Please give me a feedback, if the above settings work for dnsexit.com so I can update the WIKI.

Christian

The discussion might have continued from here.