OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Openwrt x86, VirtualBox, USB Wifi - anyone got it working?

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Anyone have it working using openwrt backfire in virtualbox ? On the host, I have a TL WN321G usb wifi adaptor which I passes it through to the guest OS ( openwrt ). I seem to be able to bring up the interface after loading kmod-usb-ohci ( don't seem to be able to get kmod-usb2/ehci to recognise the usb ). But when I make a connection to it from my host OS using a separent wifi, I can't connect to the AP.

Want to do some simulated/testing using openwrt on my notebook.

took the same image, converted to vmware, the openwrt inside the vmware can't even detect the wifi dongle, let alone bring up the wifi.

still interested to find out if anyone got any usb wifi working in virtual machines, any wifi and any virtual machine.

5 months is a long time to wait for a reply, but I come bearing good news.  :-)  I set up a ClearOS host with a OpenWrt guest using VMWare and USB wifi, and it is working perfectly.

Some details:
ClearOS Enterprise 5.2 as router & file server.  ClearOS is derived from Red Hat.
VMWare player 4.0.1
Backfire 10.03.1-rc6 running bridged AP mode in a VM
Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 USB wifi adapter (Ralink RT3070), passed through to VM

If you care for more info, see my blog @ http://macbruins.wordpress.com

I also tried a TP-Link TL-WN722N (Atheros AR9271).  It worked fine until the VM was rebooted.  If I re-booted the host and VM together, no problem.  If I powered off VM, unplugged adapter and plugged it back in, and then powered on VM, no problem.  But if I rebooted jus the VM, the adapter would stop working.

I couldn't get VirtualBox to work at all.  OpenWrt couldn't download firmware to the TP-Link through VirtualBox's USB pass-through.  OpenWrt could initialize the Rosewill adapter working though VirtualBox, but no device could connect.

William

Openwrt Kamikaze and Backfire  working under VMware Player and Workstation 5/6/7/8 on Host Windows XP / Windows 7.

USB Wifi dongle TPLink WN321G (RT73 atheros) and others  with multible radios (4) working with no problem ( sta/ap/adhoc/mesh)

ESXi not working because lack of USB support

Latest  Openwrt trunk compiled and working

Same with QUEMU on Slitaz / Windows Host

We are using VMware images as main development system for Openwrt and others

lsmod :
rt73usb                19604  0
rt2x00usb               5328  1 rt73usb
rt2x00lib              18032  2 rt73usb,rt2x00usb
mac80211              175728  2 rt2x00usb,rt2x00lib
usbcore                91760  7 usb_storage,uhci_hcd,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd,rt73usb,rt2x00usb
nls_base                4336  1 usbcore
natsemi                18752  0
crc_itu_t                944  1 rt73usb
crc_ccitt                944  2 via_velocity,ppp_async
cfg80211              104904  2 rt2x00lib,mac80211
compat_firmware_class     4632  1 rt2x00lib

regards
3zl

(Last edited by 3zl on 3 Dec 2011, 15:58)

Hi, 3zl, I noticed you didn't mention VirtualBox at all.  Is it working for you?  Did you try it?

William

MacBruins wrote:

Hi, 3zl, I noticed you didn't mention VirtualBox at all.  Is it working for you?  Did you try it?

William

i did try Virtualbox some time ago, but switched to VMware because of better USB support.
Currently using Host Windows 7 64 with 4 Openwrt 10.03-x86-r22391tr  VM-player/workstation7 instances incl USB radios TL-WN-321G each as a testbed for L2-Mesh .

Also teststations running openwrt native and hosted on Slitaz 3 / Quemu on very old laptops (P3 386 128MB 300MHz) working fine, although some more effords for the setup needed.

I could provide VM images for testing.

regards
3zl

(Last edited by 3zl on 5 Dec 2011, 11:06)

I could provide VM images for testing.

Thank you, but it's not necessary.  I am also using VMWare because I couldn't get VirtualBox to work with USB.  I was hoping you had better luck.

William

I have problem with virtualbox and USB wireless, I want to switch to VMware, anyone have a good openWRT.ISO to VMware??

(Last edited by Luis_Filipe on 23 May 2015, 15:13)

The discussion might have continued from here.