OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Install OpenWrt onto Netgear WNDR3700v4

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have a WNDR3700v4 router that I purchased today and I would like to install the provided v4 Barrier Breaker 14.07 version onto it.

I am a little hesitate to proceed at the moment as I don't really know what to expect.

1) I have an Australian Version of the router labeled as WNDR3700-100AUS. Is the AUS significant? Will I be able to install?

2) As I understand it, in the firmware upgrade page of the Netgear web interface, I upload the v4 img file provided. This will install OpenWrt onto my router.

When I have installed, what exactly should I expect?

a) Will I have access to a web-based interface upon logging in? Other pages seem to suggest that the Luci package needs to be installed. Where do I go to get hold on this package, and how do I install it? I cannot seem to find the appropriate pages. 

b) Will there be sufficient features installed to run the router as it was initially designed for, or do more packages have to be installed? Once again, if so, where do I find these packages?

Sorry, I'm very new to this and hope that someone can give me some directions.

Thanks,

(Last edited by walter03 on 22 May 2015, 06:49)

Any stable release of OpenWrt has a web GUI built-in. So if you install Barrier Breaker, you'll be fine. It's possible that the "AUS" verison is slightly different and the Netgear flash routine may look for something different in the firmware header. Only way to find out is to try it.

See: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700
and http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr4300

Once installed, you may need to install some packages to get the functionality you need, but that just depends on what you're trying to do. Luci is already installed on stable builds (like 14.07) so you can log in to the web admin interface right away. I would recommend installing/enabling/configuring QOS and possibly uPNP. Some people like to share printers or files over the LAN, which require additional packages. Statistics are another popular feature to install. The list goes on and on really, and is the beauty of OpenWrt smile

The discussion might have continued from here.