OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link Archer D9

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hey team! Has anyone attempted loading OpenWrt on a TP-Link Archer D9?
At this point I can't even work out how to flash it with the firmware (since it rejects it in the OEM web utility). Attempts to halt the normal boot process by pushing/holding random buttons to allow a TFTP transfer have not been successful (not sure if it is client or server, or if it even allows TFTP transfers for firmware). Thoughts on how it might be done?

I have put the details I know about it here: https://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardware … el_id=1560
I will create a hardware page in the OpenWrt table of hardware also. I have just now finished pulling the router apart, taking photos, and putting back together again. Will post them in time also.

Hi woodsb02
Did you work out how to do it?  I'm looking at trying it only because I dislike the TP-Link web UI, O + I like to use open stuff.  From what I can see from web searching, there doesn't appear to be any other firmware for the Archer D9 except the original i.e. no Tomato, DD-WRT etc

Nope, sorry... never worked out how I could get a different firmware onto it. I'm sure there is a way... I just need to find out how!?

TP-Link Archer D9 was so hard to Hacking it, did you had any ideas?

From recent threads on this forum, I believe TP-Link have locked the firmware on this model and therefore openwrt cannot currently run.

Disappointing.

However the latest firmware does allow shell access (ash).

~ # cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.36.4brcmarm (root@localhost.localdomain) (gcc version 4.5.3 (Buildroot 2012.02) ) #113 SM PREEMPT Wed Aug 26 11:26:41 HKT 2015

Also this router has a usb port which allows me to iptables-save the current filtering rules and replace them.

Am I correct that openwrt can't be run here?

The discussion might have continued from here.