OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Nexx WT1520 support

The content of this topic has been archived between 31 Mar 2018 and 30 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Reread  this thread from beginning again smile
select menu item 2 (upload Sys code to flash via TFTP)
And successfully returned hachru's FW. It works again. Thank you.

It is not the end for me, faced with new disaster smile
After uploading my new bin, I can't get access again. Now UART doesn't help too.
Something wrong with menu timeout. It does not give me any time to make my choice. Always selects default item 3 and boot from flash.
---------------------------------------------------
System Boot system code via Flash.
## Booting image at bc050000 ...
raspi_read: from:50000 len:40
.   Image Name:   MIPS OpenWrt Linux-3.18.11
   Created:      2015-05-03  16:40:27 UTC
   Image Type:   MIPS Linux Kernel Image (lzma compressed)
   Data Size:    1137490 Bytes =  1.1 MB
   Load Address: 80000000
   Entry Point:  80000000
raspi_read: from:50040 len:115b52
..................   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
No initrd
## Transferring control to Linux (at address 80000000) ...
## Giving linux memsize in MB, 16

Starting kernel ...

[    0.000000] Linux version 3.18.11 (serg@localhost.localdomain) (gcc version 4
.8.3 (OpenWrt/Linaro GCC 4.8-2014.04 r45594) ) #3 Sun May 3 09:38:38 PDT 2015
[    0.000000] SoC Type: Ralink RT5350 id:1 rev:3
[    0.000000] bootconsole [early0] enabled
[    0.000000] CPU0 revision is: 0001964c (MIPS 24KEc)
[    0.000000] MIPS: machine is Nexx WT1520
[    0.000000] Determined physical RAM map:
[    0.000000]  memory: 02000000 @ 00000000 (usable)
[    0.000000] Initrd not found or empty - disabling initrd
[    0.000000] Zone ranges:
[    0.000000]   Normal   [mem 0x00000000-0x01ffffff]
[    0.000000] Movable zone start for each node
[    0.000000] Early memory node ranges
[    0.000000]   node   0: [mem 0x00000000-0x01ffffff]
[    0.000000] Initmem setup node 0 [mem 0x00000000-0x01ffffff]
---------------------------------------------------
and stops here doing nothing else.

I suppose, the next step is desoldering flash and writing it externally. sad

(Last edited by kleverevelk on 3 May 2015, 18:46)

kleverevelk wrote:

## Giving linux memsize in MB, 16

Seems like your usb2ttl makes your router believe you have only 16mb of ram, that's why boot process doesn't continue. Try to disconnect usb2ttl from board and see if your router boots up correctly. You can connect you usb2ttl back in couple of seconds and see boot log.

(Last edited by hackru on 3 May 2015, 19:17)

I've noticed that my USB-UART has 5-v UART.
So may be you are right. I will check it.
Without UART, the router behaves like today morning - gives strange IP and does not respond by Telnet SSH.
Dumn. It looks like diabolical loop. And I can blame only myself for this.

I will try to assemble new USB-UART tool from another board.

I've assembled new USB-UART, 3.3V this time. And serial console menu works fine again.
I successfully returned to hackru's working version.
The battle is won, but not the war. smile

In some articles I saw "Image configuration  ---> Preinit configuration options" item in menuconfig.
But in this trunk it is absent. So to define default network settings I created dirs
"/defconfig/NEXXWT1520/" in "trunk/target/linux/ramips/base-files/etc/".
And add 2 files there: network and wireless and make incremental make without cleaning.
Afterwards it did not work.
What is wrong?

To add web interface I marked  "luci" item in "Luci  ---> Collections".
And "luci-base" in "Luci  ---> Modules".
Web interface does not work anyway.

I've try to "make" with parameter PACKAGES like in build.sh from git. No web-interface in result.

And finally I try the command opkg install luci using SSH. Do not remember the message exactly, but It was denied.

I've read 3 russian manuals-articles, describing image build process for other routers,
and there are no things I have not made yet.
I would be really appreciate for any link to configuration manual.
Linux is new for me, so the brief help is not enough.

I have compiled several bins with different filling (packages and libraries included), but openwrt-ramips-rt305x-wt1520-4M-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin size is constant (3145732 bytes). What does it mean?

And also strange trend: all my images work unstable (after switching on randomly work or not) or do not work at all.
When it does not work, It looks like the following way:
router gives me strange IP (169.254.177.123) via LAN. It's own IP is fine 192.168.1.1 (checked by setting the same IP and fixing an address collision). If i set static IP 192.168.1.x for PC, router does not respond by ssh or telnet anyway.

2hackru: I would like to try to use your image for my purposes. Does it includes netem package?
               If yes, could you share compiled packages for your build. I need to install tc package.
               Trying to install from internet and from my compiles, but fail because of different kernel versions:

root@OpenWrt-wt1520:~# opkg install tc
Installing tc (4.0.0-1) to root...
Downloading http://10.10.10.243/packages/base/tc_4.0.0-1_ramips_24kec.ipk.
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for tc:
 *      kernel (= 3.18.11-1-eebdcb315a1824307cb04e55ac5bfed6) *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package tc.
root@OpenWrt-wt1520:~#
root@OpenWrt-wt1520:~# uname -a
Linux OpenWrt-wt1520 3.10.49 #3 Wed Oct 1 16:33:08 CEST 2014 mips GNU/Linux
root@OpenWrt-wt1520:~#

have you used my github build script?

No, I have not.
Maybe I do not understand, but I thought the patch is not actual for latest trunk version. Am I wrong?

patch is not, but build.sh(and directory with files) is actual. just comment out line with patch and build your own firmware with build.sh

I've already done tonight. The size of bin is the same. And it does not work again.
I suppose I have some HW problem. Because yesterday your FW did not work once as I discribed upper. I suppose it may be 16-MB RAM issue. And possibly my 5v UART damaged something.
Do not know what to do with it.
In this thread dzenik wrote about 32/16 MB issue. I look at RAM datasheet and on the board and do not understand what resistors does he mean. Do you understand?
Anyway I would like to understand why all my bins have the same size.

my router dead after flashing openwrt-ramips-rt305x-wt1520-4M-squashfs-factory in ssh mode.
how can i restore it? router indicates with led 1 time while connecting usb cable. Other time it doesn't work.

samba itself uses alot of storage, so it not fitted in image.

Hi All,

I read the whole thread, but because I am not a Linux user I am having several gaps, maybe someone can help me out please:

I have a Nexx WT1520 router and I want to upgrade its firmware to OpenWRT to get WISP functionality (I want to be able to connect to a wireless network in a hotel, and make other devices to connect through my router).

I was able to make this with a Windows laptop and Connectify.me application which works fine, but I need something more portable, thats why I want to make it work with this tiny router.

I read everywhere, download the "trunk" file, but I am not sure which one this is to be able to download it and directly upgrade firmware through the existing Nexx router interface. For what @HackRu commented this seems to be possible.

Can somebody share with me the direct link of the BIN I have to download to do this?

Also, will I be able to login through a web interface to manage all configuration details of the router and the WISP config?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Best regards,

Surferride

Hi surferride, you should use "factory" image from trunk. but beware you will get only a command-line interface. Then you should install luci and uhttpd to get a web interface, as described here:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/packages

The SOC chip is quite hot. I cann't hold my finger on. Is it normal?

Yes, this SoC is pretty hot. But in datasheet there's mention that SoC working temperature is over 100˚C. Anyway if you glue some heatsink it would be better.

Ok, I'll make it soon. Thanks.

And one more question:
Is it possible to study the kernal build config (menuconfig out) from running openwrt?
If I have only bin and want to know the config it was built with.

(Last edited by kleverevelk on 12 May 2015, 20:13)

So I guess I bricked my little WT1520. I put openwrt-ramips-rt305x-wt1520-4M-squashfs-factory.bin on it from https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … s/generic/

This worked!

Then, thinking I was being smart, I thought I'd try and restore it back to NEXX firmware. So I did a wget of the NEXX firmware and then tried to push that back using the commands at:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.uninstall

And... reboot - then LED went off. It comes on for a second when I power it on - but then nothing.

Any ideas or have I just set fire to $20?

marble68 wrote:

Then, thinking I was being smart, I thought I'd try and restore it back to NEXX firmware

Where did you get the Nexx firmware from, BTW?

marble68 wrote:

So I guess I bricked my little WT1520. I put openwrt-ramips-rt305x-wt1520-4M-squashfs-factory.bin on it from https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … s/generic/

This worked!

Then, thinking I was being smart, I thought I'd try and restore it back to NEXX firmware. So I did a wget of the NEXX firmware and then tried to push that back using the commands at:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.uninstall

And... reboot - then LED went off. It comes on for a second when I power it on - but then nothing.

Any ideas or have I just set fire to $20?

Yes, you bricked router. You downloaded encrypted firmware and flashed it as is. Actually, bootloader is working, but unable to load encrypted firmware.

Your options now:
1) find usb2ttl and solder wires, then flash new firmware from bootloader
2) find spi programmer and reflash chip

roger_ wrote:

Where did you get the Nexx firmware from, BTW?

From official web-site, i think.

I've built my image again, and it works fine.
Netem and tc also work.
Thank you for your help.

kleverevelk wrote:

I've built my image again, and it works fine.
Netem and tc also work.
Thank you for your help.

Very interesting, i think you're using this device to simulate some network delays, right? Tell us more smile