OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link WR1043ND USB Serial Console

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered, if it has I was unable to find a resolution.

Have a TP-Link WR1043ND with Chaos Calmer loaded, seems to be working good.  In playing with it I was trying to get a prolific USB serial port to setup as a serial console.  Just in case I lost access but the device was not bricked.   the PL2303 driver loads fine and the device is set to ttyUSB0.   With that being said, when I connect to the serial port with SecureCRT on a windows system all I see at 115200 is garbage characters.   Actually, a constant string of "p" scrolling across the terminal session.   Have the setting set to 115200, 8, n, 1 with no flow control.  I'm using a null modem cable.   

Thanks in advance.

Ok, I was able to get it working without a login.   Turns out one of the Prolific serial interfaces I have doesn't cooperate very well.   The newer one works just fine.     Here is what I did;

opkg update
opkg install kmod-usb-serial kmod-usb-seral-ftdi kmod-usb-serial-pl2303

kmod-usb-core, kmod usb-ohci, kmod usb2 were already installed.   

opkg install agetty

modified /etc/inittab with the following:
#::askconsole:/bin/ash --login
USB0:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/agetty -L ttyUSB0 115200 -n -l /bin/ash
USB1:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/agetty -L ttyUSB1 115200 -n -l /bin/ash

reboot. and was able to get the console without a login.

The discussion might have continued from here.