OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WR841N V9.x ?

The content of this topic has been archived between 21 Aug 2014 and 29 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi,
Could anyone please mention the wireless speed with the current available firmware (openwrt) for V9. The page at http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr841nd says slower wifi, but did not mentioned the actual speed. How slow is it?. I would like to flash this firmware.

kkiran345 wrote:

Hi,
Could anyone please mention the wireless speed with the current available firmware (openwrt) for V9. The page at http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr841nd says slower wifi, but did not mentioned the actual speed. How slow is it?. I would like to flash this firmware.

I have tested my transfer speed on 1 tablet, 2 phones and my 11ac capable Chromebook. After configuring HT40- and picking the best channel in my area I get around 45-50Mbit/s at peak. It is possible I am missing some obvious configuration since I am relatively new to pure OpenWRT.

Since all my units max out at this range I assume this is what they mean with slow speed.

Also, I cannot get it to recognize SE (Sweden) as country code and I am unable to use channels 12,13,14 in any mode. This might affect speeds slightly in my case, since at least having channel 13 would decrease channel conflicts.

(Last edited by AsavarTzeth on 21 Feb 2015, 23:41)

is there any build for this without ipv6?
is there any way to completely disable ipv6 from current build on the download page?

Has someone try coovachilli hotspot on this? I tried but it is not working sad

OpenWrt Barrier Breaker 14.07 / LuCI Trunk (0.12+svn-r10530)  how to tourn off button reset.
thanks

Giovanni wrote:

is there any build for this without ipv6?
is there any way to completely disable ipv6 from current build on the download page?

Check the wiki for the instructions on how to use the Image Generator here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/obtai … .generate. It is very easy to learn (assuming you have some basic *nix knowledge) and gives you complete control of what packages goes into your image.

If you wish I could even give you a list of what packages to exclude if you wish to remove ipv6 completely. I just did that myself to save some very precious space.

ngladov3 wrote:

OpenWrt Barrier Breaker 14.07 / LuCI Trunk (0.12+svn-r10530)  how to tourn off button reset.
thanks

Please clarify, what do you wish to do about the reset button? Turn it off entirely? (I would not recommend that). In that case, I suppose the simple & lazy approach would be to simply delete the script that is run when you press the button.

In any case, the script that controls the button is located here: /etc/rc.button/reset.

(Last edited by AsavarTzeth on 27 Apr 2015, 21:22)

I leave it in the apartment for guests, there is an option in the on off .luci

ngladov3 wrote:

I leave it in the apartment for guests, there is an option in the on off .luci

Do you mean you found "an option" in luci for turning off the physical reset button? I can't find it myself, but if you found one, then what is the problem? Does it not work?

Or did you mean the web reset button in luci? If that is what you meant, why are you allowing your guests to login to your admin interface? If you need to remove something from luci hen the only way I know is to completely remove luci from your image. Well, unless you are willing to do some custom web development.

I'm sorry I don't use luci too much myself. I actually had to remove luci from my own build to save space and also, like you, to prevent tampering.

(Last edited by AsavarTzeth on 28 Apr 2015, 14:44)

Hello guys.

I can confirm there is a v9.2 being rolled out to everyone in Vietnam by Viettel.

Bad News. On Wan,Lan1/Lan4 tcpdump shows no arp looking for a tftp server.

Is there any way of getting into uboot without wiring up a cable?

It won't even take the TP-Link website factory 9.0 firmware.

"Error
Error code: 18005
Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name."

I guess I'll have to wire up a serial cable, take some photo's and let you know I go, with a status update next week.

I find it really annoying that the factory upgrades don't work. It looks like the Telco may have asked TP-Link to do as much as possible to block openwrt enthusiasts, or the v9.2 is different hardware.....

"Error
Error code: 18005
Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name."

I guess I'll have to wire up a serial cable, take some photo's and let you know I go, with a status update next week.

I find it really annoying that the factory upgrades don't work. It looks like the Telco may have asked TP-Link to do as much as possible to block openwrt enthusiasts, or the v9.2 is different hardware.....

Firmware Version:    
Flash:8M_Memory:32M_3.15.9 Build 140806 Rel.34809n
Hardware Version:    
WR841N v9 00000000

These will be a nice one to hack. It looks like I'll be needing a custom build? Do your factory roms have IPV6 an TR-069? 4Meg flash on all the others right?

openwrt devs contact me, I'll send the factory rom image when I get insdie it.

I own a TP-Link wr841n v9.
I want to add a usb port to the router .
However i am not able to figure it out from the available resources.

Here is a link of how the board looks like : http://s28.postimg.org/y8c6la81p/IMG_20 … 093816.jpg

Can you please post detailed instructions.

Thanks!

bony.1691 wrote:

I own a TP-Link wr841n v9.
I want to add a usb port to the router .
However i am not able to figure it out from the available resources.

Here is a link of how the board looks like : http://s28.postimg.org/y8c6la81p/IMG_20 … 093816.jpg

Can you please post detailed instructions.

Thanks!

The wiki for this model says that USB is not possible for the v9 hardware revision due to the new SoC chip? Maybe someone here can explain, I wouldn't know the technical specifics.

My own question:
I have a question about building your own flash image. There is a target profile for the WR841N/ND which I can choose in the make menu - I just wanted to double check whether the image generated will work on both the v8 and v9? If so, then how come for the prebuilt images are there separate download links for the different versions?

bertc3p0 wrote:

Could some posts some pictures of the v9 PCB, please ?
Is there a PDF datasheet of the Soc in the wild ?

Regards

bertc3p0

If anybody found the datasheet I would be also interested...

After upgrade from 14.07. to 15.05.1 I don't have 30dBm (1000mW) option in dropbox menu even if I set United States as my country. Most I can get is if I set South Africa, in that case it's possible to set 23dBm and I have all 13 channels.

I know that 30 dBm tx power can't be set if my wireless country is any that allow higher channel than channel 11, but US doesn't allow more than 11 channels.

The discussion might have continued from here.