OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Improve the Wiki Table of Hardware?

The content of this topic has been archived between 12 Sep 2015 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

toh cleanup, column "Platform"

We have some "AR9344 SoC" and we have some "Atheros AR9344".
I believe we can delete the SoC, right?

We have some "Atheros AR7240 rev 2" and we have some "Atheros AR7240"
Is the "rev 2" really neccessary?

Is "Broadcom 6359" = "Broadcom BCM6359"?
Do all Broadcoms have the naming scheme BCM#### or are there exceptions where we only have ####, w/o BCM in front?

What would be the preferred value?
- BCM6359
- Broadcom 6359
- Broadcom BCM6359

Comparing with "Atheros AR7240", I'd say it should be "Broadcom BCM6359".

(Last edited by tmo26 on 23 Apr 2015, 20:27)

Ralink syntax:

ralink 3052
Ralink RT3050
Ralink rt3050
RaLink rt3052
RaLink rt305x
RaLink RT288x

Comparing with "Atheros AR7240", I'd say it should be "Ralink RT3050".

That is a nice column you are working with!

tmo26 wrote:

We have some "AR9344 SoC" and we have some "Atheros AR9344".
I believe we can delete the SoC, right?

I think it speaks for itself that it's a SoC most of the time tongue

We have some "Atheros AR7240 rev 2" and we have some "Atheros AR7240"
Is the "rev 2" really neccessary?

I think some revisions might be supported while others might not be (talking about SoC revisions, not router models). But I might be mistaken.

And while you're at it: Update please smile

tmo26 wrote:

When clicking on "filter", can you sort the values alphabetically?

Update complete. Alphabetically sorting the filter is not hard to fix. I'll see if I can fix it tomorrow, but not right now.

zo0ok wrote:

Update complete. Alphabetically sorting the filter is not hard to fix. I'll see if I can fix it tomorrow, but not right now.

Take time. I'll be back only on sunday afternoon.

The next update hopefully shows a big advance in the platform column (I did quite some changes re common spelling of Broadcom platform values). It was really a mess, and probably still is smile
But hey, we're slowly but steadily advancing!

zo0ok wrote:

Happy?

Happy! smile

zo0ok, big thanks for your work. It's a great help!

Did quite a bit of cleanup in the platform column, therefore: update, please smile

tmo26 wrote:
zo0ok wrote:

Happy?

Happy! smile

zo0ok, big thanks for your work. It's a great help!

Did quite a bit of cleanup in the platform column, therefore: update, please smile

Great! smile
Update complete. I contribute with what I can - glad it helps.

OK, done for today (-> update please). Platform should appear much cleaner now. Maybe a little polishing here and there is still needed.

Good. Update complete.

We have a target ep93xx (https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … x/generic/), however, none of the devices listed in the toh uses this target.

Does anybody know which device uses this target?
googling for ep93xx and openwrt wasn't much help in finding this out.

zo0ok wrote:
tmo26 wrote:

Happy?

The usual link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/906 … index.html

It looks as if the data on this page is really shaping up. Congratulations on all this hard work.

What is the plan to cut over the official TOH page to use this data? And will the current text at the head of the TOH remain? Thanks.

richbhanover wrote:

What is the plan to cut over the official TOH page to use this data?

There's still some work to be done, no fixed plans yet as to "when".

richbhanover wrote:

And will the current text at the head of the TOH remain? Thanks.

Not neccessarily.

richbhanover wrote:
zo0ok wrote:
tmo26 wrote:

Happy?

The usual link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/906 … index.html

It looks as if the data on this page is really shaping up. Congratulations on all this hard work.

What is the plan to cut over the official TOH page to use this data? And will the current text at the head of the TOH remain? Thanks.

Yes - wow - I have just looked at my own view lately (admittedly tmo26 has done all the work wink ).
It really looks good the Table of Hardware!

When I started this topic that was my primary goal (not that tmo26 would do the job, but the nice result).

I think top priorities (when the data is good) are:
1) making it easier to find the right image
2) figuring out what (rather small set of) routers are "tier-1" (well supported, well working, well tested, well performing)

And about a plan... no, everything that happens is in this topic. I dont know of any other plan.
But last weeks I have learnt that it is possible to clean up and fix things without people getting annoyed I edit "their data about their router".

Some more cleanup in the WLAN HARDWARE column -> update please! smile

Might it be worth including the type of CPU core and number of cores? Listing just the clock speed can be misleading and most users will not know just by looking at the SoC. A 500 MHz MIPS core is pretty different than a 500 MHz ARM, and that's even without taking into account single vs dual core. Same goes for the type of ARM core - see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AR … hitectures

The same could be said about MIPS 1004kc vs 74kc vs 24kc.

tmo26 wrote:

Some more cleanup in the WLAN HARDWARE column -> update please! smile

Update complete.

zo0ok wrote:

I think top priorities (when the data is good) are:
1) making it easier to find the right image
2) figuring out what (rather small set of) routers are "tier-1" (well supported, well working, well tested, well performing)

I agree that these address the major problem. The TOH update is a critical piece, but to meet those goals the full OpenWrt site needs updates, too. Specifically:

- Updates to the home page to be more welcoming to newbies, and direct them to the "right" pages.

- Changes to the top-level pages of the wiki to make them more friendly.

- Adding traffic analytics (Google or otherwise?) on these sites. It would provide useful information about how people use the site, and I'd be happy to help set it up.

Does anyone know who can/has permission to do these things?