OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@kaloz

Linux 3.18.11 #1 SMP Thu Apr 23 22:38:47 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
openwrt r45566
trunk

I set up 2 wifi devices in Client mode both are connected and everything is working

Luci > Network > Wifi

Note that the network to which we are connected is shown under "Associated Stations", and that the "IPv4-Address" is shown as "?".

see http://www.gypsy-designs.com/098.jpg

pooh - i was able to get my AC6210 adapter working - not sure how. i tried flashing  the stock firmware and reinstalling the driver, now it works.

i wish i hadn't bought a new one

gufus wrote:

Wish List

I'ed like to see this in LuCI. smile

sensors
tmp421-i2c-0-4c
Adapter: mv64xxx_i2c adapter
temp1:        +53.7 C 
temp2:        +56.9 C 

armada_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +65.3 C

Temp monitoring with logging would be great, same as special software to load router to 100%. I'd like to modify cooling system but need these 2 things to estimate efficiency)

Slightly off topic, and im happy to post elsewhere if need be.
I think suspect its an almost complete coincidence, but i've just blown through 120gb of my broadband quota with 5 days of the month to go.

I haven't blown my quota in probably 3 Years, so its interesting that i have in the first 2 months of having the wrt1900ac.

Do any of you guys use a particular package / application on openwrt to monitor traffic to/from WAN to specific IPs?

I've been googling, and other than the basic instantaneous readouts, many of those that can monitor data over time seem to be either very old, or no specific package pre-built for trunk.

My gut feel is moving to gigabit ethernet, and Wireless AC, everyones youtube streams in the household seem to now automatically download at 1080p when available....i don't think they did before.
Having said that i want to make sure it's not something more sinister (virus, hijacked wifi etc), or a particular family member using more than they should smile

The downside of flashy new tech!.....

thanks in advance for any suggestions
cheers

hyppo wrote:
gufus wrote:

Wish List

I'ed like to see this in LuCI. smile

sensors
tmp421-i2c-0-4c

armada_thermal-virtual-0

Temp monitoring with logging would be great, same as special software to load router to 100%. I'd like to modify cooling system but need these 2 things to estimate efficiency)

the "stress" command/package will allow you to load either or both cpu cores to increase temps.

use /sbin/fan_ctrl.sh as a basis for logging:

cut -c1-2 /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/temp1_input
cut -c1-2 /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/temp1_input
cut -c1-2 /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1/temp2_input

will give you CPU, DDR and WIFI temperatures (for 3.18.x kernel; 4.0 has slightly different paths I believe - check your fan_ctrl.sh).

luci-app-statistics and luci-app-vnstat are two (different) starting points for graphing.

(Last edited by DavidMcWRT on 26 Apr 2015, 12:06)

Hostname OpenWrt
Model Linksys WRT1900AC
Firmware Version OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r45578 / LuCI (git-15.113.66125-f322842) 
Kernel Version 3.18.11

on linksys firmware the fastest i get is 61.7 Mbits/sec

on openwrt the fastest i get is 47.3 Mbits/sec

i am getting a new adapter on monday hopefully this will fix my problem. the adapter is on a crappy acer laptop with no usb3 but i'd still expect to get faster than this.

my 5 year old son dropped the laptop - hdd broken - then he pulled some keys off (new keyboard now has a missing b and the spacebar doesn't work on the left) - i dropped it and my dvd-rom fell out. And now for some reason the laptop freezes. i have a refurbished hp laptop coming  on tuesday. hopefully the combination of new laptop with usb3 and new adapter will get me some decent speeds.

(Last edited by ethereal on 26 Apr 2015, 14:30)

Does the latest Kaloz build have LUCI pre-installed, do I have to do anything different installing his build than I did with installing the latest mvebu build? I would like to try a 4.0 kernel.

How do you get to these settings?

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option channel '4'
        option hwmode '11ng'
        option path 'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'
        option htmode 'HT40+'
        option country '00'
        option bursting '1'
        option ff '1'
        option compression '1'
        option noscan '1'

and these:

list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
list 'ht_capab' 'TX-STBC'
list 'ht_capab' 'RX-STBC1'
list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'

@kaloz

openwrt r45579
Linux 3.18.11 #1 SMP Sun Apr 26 03:50:29 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
trunk

I dumped the external overlay variant (pivot overlay) back using the NAND chip

r45557 > 45579

Using username "root".
Authenticating with public key "rsa-key-20120810"

BusyBox v1.23.2 (2015-04-23 22:18:51 UTC) built-in shell (ash)

Linksys WRT1900AC (Mamba)
Security is enabled, and your IP address has been logged.

root@AC1900:~# cd /tmp
root@AC1900:/tmp# sysupgrade -c -v openwrt-mvebu-armada-xp-linksys-mamba-squashf
s-sysupgrade.tar
Saving config files...
etc/collectd.conf
etc/config/dhcp
etc/config/dropbear
etc/config/firewall
etc/config/fstab
etc/config/luci
etc/config/luci_statistics
etc/config/memcached
etc/config/minidlna
etc/config/network
etc/config/openvpn
etc/config/openvpn-opkg
etc/config/openvpn_recipes
etc/config/packages.list
etc/config/qos
etc/config/rpcd
etc/config/samba
etc/config/samba-opkg
etc/config/system
etc/config/ubootenv
etc/config/ucitrack
etc/config/uhttpd
etc/config/vnstat
etc/config/vnstat-opkg
etc/config/wireless
etc/crontabs/root
etc/dnsmasq.conf
etc/dropbear/authorized_keys
etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key
etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key
etc/firewall.user
etc/fw_env.config
etc/group
etc/hosts
etc/inittab
etc/openvpn/IPredator.auth
etc/openvpn/IPredator.se.ca.crt
etc/openvpn/IPredator.se.ta.key
etc/openvpn/ca.cer
etc/openvpn/ca.crt
etc/openvpn/ca.key
etc/openvpn/del-client_iptables
etc/openvpn/dh1024.pem
etc/openvpn/firewall
etc/openvpn/fstab
etc/openvpn/gufus.key
etc/openvpn/hma.auth
etc/openvpn/hmauser.ca.cer
etc/openvpn/hmauser.cer
etc/openvpn/hmauser.key
etc/openvpn/openvpn
etc/openvpn/server.crt
etc/openvpn/server.key
etc/openvpn/set-client_iptables
etc/openvpn/ta.key
etc/openvpn/up.sh
etc/opkg.conf
etc/passwd
etc/ppp/chap-secrets
etc/ppp/filter
etc/ppp/options
etc/profile
etc/protocols
etc/rc.local
etc/samba/lowcase.dat
etc/samba/secrets.tdb
etc/samba/smb.conf
etc/samba/smb.conf.template
etc/samba/smb.conf.template-opkg
etc/samba/smbpasswd
etc/samba/upcase.dat
etc/samba/valid.dat
etc/services
etc/shadow
etc/shells
etc/sysctl.conf
etc/sysupgrade.conf
etc/uhttpd.crt
etc/uhttpd.key
etc/usr/bin/banner
etc/usr/bin/dc.sh
etc/usr/bin/dl_hosts.sh
etc/usr/bin/fan_control
etc/usr/bin/fan_monitor
etc/usr/bin/firewall.sh
etc/usr/bin/log.sh
etc/usr/bin/run.sh
etc/usr/bin/set-client_iptables.sh
etc/usr/bin/start.test.sh
etc/usr/bin/v6.sh
etc/vnstat.conf
etc/uhttpd.key
etc/uhttpd.crt
killall: watchdog: no process killed
Sending TERM to remaining processes ... logd rpcd netifd odhcpd crond uhttpd smbd nmbd collectd ntpd vnstatd dnsmasq ubusd askfirst
Sending KILL to remaining processes ... askfirst
Switching to ramdisk...
Performing system upgrade...
Unlocking kernel1 ...

Writing from <stdin> to kernel1 ...
UBI device number 2, total 296 LEBs (37584896 bytes, 35.8 MiB), available 0 LEBs (0 bytes), LEB size 126976 bytes (124.0 KiB)
Volume ID 0, size 19 LEBs (2412544 bytes, 2.3 MiB), LEB size 126976 bytes (124.0 KiB), dynamic, name "rootfs", alignment 1
Set volume size to 32124928
Volume ID 1, size 253 LEBs (32124928 bytes, 30.6 MiB), LEB size 126976 bytes (124.0 KiB), dynamic, name "rootfs_data", alignment 1
sysupgrade successful

Worked fine. ALL settings were saved smile

(Last edited by gufus on 26 Apr 2015, 21:41)

openwrt r45579
Linux 3.18.11 #1 SMP Sun Apr 26 03:50:29 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
trunk

packages build-in

base-files
busybox
dnsmasq
dropbear
firewall
fstools
hostapd-common
ip6tables
iptables
iw
iwinfo
jshn
jsonfilter
kernel
kmod-ata-ahci
kmod-ata-ahci-platform
kmod-ata-core
kmod-ata-marvell-sata
kmod-ata-mvebu-ahci
kmod-cfg80211
kmod-crypto-aes
kmod-crypto-arc4
kmod-crypto-core
kmod-gpio-button-hotplug
kmod-hwmon-core
kmod-hwmon-pwmfan
kmod-hwmon-tmp421
kmod-i2c-core
kmod-i2c-mv64xxx
kmod-ip6tables
kmod-ipt-conntrack
kmod-ipt-core
kmod-ipt-nat
kmod-ipv6
kmod-leds-tlc59116
kmod-ledtrig-usbdev
kmod-lib-crc-ccitt
kmod-lib-lzo
kmod-mac80211
kmod-mmc
kmod-mvsdio
kmod-mwlwifi
kmod-nf-conntrack
kmod-nf-conntrack6
kmod-nf-ipt
kmod-nf-ipt6
kmod-nf-nat
kmod-nf-nathelper
kmod-nls-base
kmod-ppp
kmod-pppoe
kmod-pppox
kmod-regmap
kmod-rtc-marvell
kmod-scsi-core
kmod-slhc
kmod-thermal
kmod-thermal-armada
kmod-usb-core
kmod-usb-storage
kmod-usb2
kmod-usb3
libblobmsg-json
libc
libgcc
libip4tc
libip6tc
libiwinfo
libjson-c
libjson-script
libnl-tiny
libubox
libubus
libuci
libxtables
mtd
netifd
odhcp6c
odhcpd
opkg
ppp
ppp-mod-pppoe
procd
procd-nand
swconfig
ubi-utils
uboot-envtools
ubox
ubus
ubusd
uci
wpad-mini

(Last edited by gufus on 26 Apr 2015, 22:07)

DavidMcWRT wrote:

sensors
tmp421-i2c-0-4c

armada_thermal-virtual-0

DavidMcWRT wrote:

luci-app-statistics and luci-app-vnstat are two (different) starting points for graphing.

Maybe in Collectd eh smile

(Last edited by gufus on 27 Apr 2015, 00:02)

So the router acted up (using Kaloz april 23 build) so I turn it off and switch it back on. And now every time i go to 192.168.1.1 it downloads a "luci" file. So i can't get to the web interface anymore....

When i open the "luci" file it has

#!/usr/bin/lua
require "luci.cacheloader"
require "luci.sgi.cgi"
luci.dispatcher.indexcache = "/tmp/luci-indexcache"
luci.sgi.cgi.run()

how do I fix this?

I tried to opkg install luci in ssh but does the same thing.

(Last edited by kaiyo on 27 Apr 2015, 00:09)

grimley wrote:
kaiyo wrote:
grimley wrote:

I've seen this occur several times with various iterations of the trunk build. I am the prototypical default user. Out of the box, no extra packages or command line tweaks. Beats stock FW in any event, but I suspect few around here have seen it happen since they're flashing quite regularly. Will see how this build holds up.

I had the same problem the other day, the router locked up, I couldn't connect to it via wireless at all, if the devices were connected already wan doesn't work nor could it communicate with the router, couldn't connect via wired either, Had to power off and on to get it working again.

Them's the symptoms alright.

Still happening
Kaloz Apr23
Trunk Apr26 (just barfed after about 12 hours)

I wonder though why some people are facing the freezes and others are not. In my case, i've never had mine freeze on me and im running alot of extra stuff on my router, python apps, other cron jobs, scripts,etc....I've have been compiling my images from trunk for the last 3 weeks or so...Currently running r45566 - 3.18.11.
I usually keep going for days(have gone over a week) until i reboot the router on purpose..

(Last edited by alirz on 27 Apr 2015, 15:03)

I hate to clog this thread, but I don't  know if if this is an issue with our build or if things are working as intended...

Did my first upgrade via sysupgrade over the weekend, and fo0und that no settings were preserved.  Apparently the default /etc/sysupgrade.conf file doesn't by default contain what should be preserved, just a few commented lines.  Shouldn't the default file actually contain some barebones defaults on what should be preserved during an upgrade?  How does one know what is important to preserve and what isn't?

Also, presumably a separate issue, after the upgrade, several packages that had been installed had to be reinstalled.  Can sysupgraded handle reinstalling packages, or is there some other way people are handling this?  I know I can generate a list of installed packages, but I can't see an easy way to know what the differences from stock are.

Lastly, totally separate issue.  I'm testing the WRT1900AC on my existing Lan, so the WAN IP on my unit is 192.168.1.123, and the LAN address on the 1900 is the default 192.168.1.1, my home router is 192.168.1.2, so all IPs are unique.  Even though the 1900 is configured to respond to ping on the WAN port, it doesn't, and my attempts at opening ports are apparently failing, a port scan isn't showing any open ports on the WAN IP.  I'm thinking that there may be some issue because both LAN and WAN are using the same IP range?  I ran out of time this weekend to play with reconfiguring that, thought I'd check here to see if this was a known issue or not.  I'm sure I'm not the only one here with multiple OpenWRT devices on a single network.  wink

alirz wrote:

I wonder though why some people are facing the freezes and others are not. In my case, i've never had mine freeze on me and im running alot of extra stuff on my router, python apps, other cron jobs, scripts,etc....I've have been compiling my images from trunk for the last 3 weeks or so...Currently running r45566 - 3.18.11.
I usually keep going for days(have gone over a week) until i reboot the router on purpose..

I get around the freezing issue by power cycling the router post sysupgrade:

1. sysupgrade (reboot)
2. opkg update and install luci etc. (reboot)
3. power cycle

Firmware Version OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r45566 / LuCI (git-15.112.69132-f275592) 
Kernel Version 3.18.11
Local Time Mon Apr 27 10:48:06 2015
Uptime 3d 1h 55m 0s
Load Average 0.05, 0.03, 0.05

Cheers

doITright wrote:
alirz wrote:

1. sysupgrade (reboot)
3. power cycle

Kernel Version 3.18.11
Uptime 3d 1h 55m 0s

Cheers

I was doing that for a while and thought it might be superfluous.
Will try again. Thx.

doITright wrote:
alirz wrote:

1. sysupgrade (reboot)
3. power cycle

Kernel Version 3.18.11
Uptime 3d 1h 55m 0s

Cheers

I do have a cronjob setup to reboot the router every Friday night (Old habbit, from DD-wrt days). No real reason for it but no harm either i guess.

alirz wrote:

I gave up on the 3.18 builds weeks ago as I also would get periodic lockups, not being able to go beyond 1-2 days. It was not easy to troubleshoot when you're also impacting the rest of the family.

I've been running 4.0 without issue. My current uptime is now 10 days.

I had asked the question before but never really got an answer...Is there any performance (speed) differences between 3.18 vs 4.0 kernel?

alirz wrote:

I had asked the question before but never really got an answer...Is there any performance (speed) differences between 3.18 vs 4.0 kernel?

I haven't done much performance testing alirz, I just know there is a difference in stability at least in my situation.

alirz wrote:

Is there any performance (speed) differences between 3.18 vs 4.0 kernel?

There shouldn't be:
Linux 4.0 is just 3.19 renamed as 4.0 before the rc1 version release.
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel … 1deccff539
There is no quantum leap in functionality or performance. There are handy features like live kernel patching, but nothing special on networking performance front.

alirz wrote:
doITright wrote:
alirz wrote:

1. sysupgrade (reboot)
3. power cycle

Kernel Version 3.18.11
Uptime 3d 1h 55m 0s

Cheers

I do have a cronjob setup to reboot the router every Friday night (Old habbit, from DD-wrt days). No real reason for it but no harm either i guess.

In my experience a reboot does not delay/stop the router from hanging (one would think that it would but....)

A power cycle gets me 100 % up time until the next sysupgrade (usually within a few days).

Cheers