OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TBMax Travel Router

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm looking for a compact travel router capable of running OpenWrt and I ran across this one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PNJ … 69FCS5U6SD

The thing that interested me most is that this little router is supposed to come with 16mb flash, while all the other compact routers I've seen come with 4mb or 8mb.  The image shows an AR9331 chipset. It also comes with a version of OpenWrt installed, according to the vendor, and it can be flashed to dd-wrt as well.

It looks very interesting.  Here is the description on Amazon:
Support your DIY in many aspects, enjoy your achievements

1. You can install openwrt or dd-wrt packages on this smart router. With 16MB flash you have more than 8MB free space to install your packages;

2. With UBOOT failsafe you can burn your own packages without hesitate, you can recover the box to original state any time.

3. Interfaces

1*USB

1*micro USB

1*100M WAN

1*100M LAN

1*reset

On board hardware interfaces for your DIY:

A UART port;

Five GPIO interfaces;

A Serial port;

3.3V and 5V power output;

4. Smallest smart router, with 2.3in*2.3in*0.87in dimension, it is easy to install this box / board to your own device and control the device remotely.

The gotcha here is that this thing is only available on Amazon and there are zero reviews, so far.  Does anybody have any knowledge or thoughts about this thing?  The Amazon listing has an image of the board, so maybe somebody who knows more about hardware than I do could take a look at it and comment.

obsy wrote:

Looks like gl-inet (http://www.gl-inet.com/w/?page_id=241)

Good catch!  That appears to be exactly the same device.  I will probably purchase the Gl.iNet version.  Looks like it will be great for my purposes.

Is there a "clean" non-customized OpenWRT image that works with either the TBMax and/or the gl.inet ? I love little devices like these that run OpenWRT for tucking away into networks for remote access and diagnostics. I've used TP-Link MR3020's very successfully in this role but have needed to add USB storage since the MR3020's only have 4MB internal flash. Would be nice to get it all into a single box like this if possible. Plus I like having two wired ports and not just the one port of the MR3020. Thoughts? Thanks.

Nevermind. I didn't find it referenced directly in the Table of Hardware but I found the gl-inet listed in the barrier_breaker ar71xx downloads so I'll assume that covers it.
-- https://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_b … actory.bin

bizmail, did you ever confirm whether the tbmax is in fact identical and works with the gl-inet image?

(Last edited by knetknight on 24 Apr 2015, 17:52)

I got the gl.inet router and I kept the installed customized openwrt firmware.  I had to tweak it a little to fix some issues, but overall, it's a perfect travel router.  I didn't try the tbmax router, so I don't know how compatible they are.  I would recommend the gl.inet.  Also, the manufacturer is very responsive to questions.  It's a device made by hackers for hackers.

Yes, I realized afterwards that you had said you'd probably just get the gl.inet so I did the same thing and have one on the way! Looks like a great device.

What version of OpenWRT is the preloaded version based upon? And can it install add'l packages straight from the regular OpenWRT repositories? I'll probably reflash it to vanilla bb anyway so I know I have the latest and so i know it's standard and pristine, but I do really love the specs on this over the MR3020's that have otherwise served me very well.

I don't remember the version.  I think they'll show it on their website.  You can definitely download and install regular packages from the OpenWRT repositories.  I asked about making some changes to their proprietary GUI and got a reply saying that they will probably make the GUI open source soon, so you might want to correspond with them about that.  I would recommend that you try using their GUI a bit before you flash a different version.

Well, I got my GL.inet 6416A today. I was very pleased to see the default firmware was 14.07 based, /etc/banner shows:
"BARRIER BREAKER (14.07, r42853)"

I like the device itself  and love that it is inherently and deliberately OpenWrt and DIY friendly. I played around with the default firmware enough to know that I don't like it. I just couldn't see that it added any real value so I'll try to sysupgrade it to vanilla OpenWrt later tonight.

Simple as could be. I just flashed the current 14.07 "openwrt-ar71xx-generic-gl-inet-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" through the web UI, making sure to UNcheck "keep settings", and about 2 minutes later she was clean as a whistle with pure OpenWrt at defaults. I couldn't be much happier, loading it up now with my standard suite of tools!

The discussion might have continued from here.