OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Bricked TP-link wr841N (v8.4)

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hi to everybody.

I've got a router (model in subject) from my friend and he said that he was having some fun on it. It runs openWRT firmware (luci) and he forgot password and username.

At first I've tryed to do hard reset (30/30/30) and even longer periods but it didn't work. I was trying to connect to router in failsafe mode but still without success. I can connect to the main page (192.168.1.1) of router, and i can ping through ethernet cable when the router is fully booted. Wireless is shown on my laptop/smartphone and i can connect into becouse i guessed the right password (lol tongue )
Telnet doesn't work too.

Then i've soldered pins to rx/tx/gnd/vcc conncetors and try to connect router via USB/TTL(serial) connections. I've been using  115200/8N1 settings and putty. I've tried on HyperTerminal too but i don't get any response from serial port visible in putty/hypterminal. I can see some random symbols only if i'm switching RX pin from usb/ttl on GND pin on the router.

After that i tested to see which port is opend on the router. The resoult gave me answer that only ports 22(SSH) and 53(DNS) are opened.

Is there any pins on the board to reset flash memory to factory preset settings or just to remove content from flash? (i shouldn't remove boodloader becouse than i wont be able to write on the chip)

What should i do to get it unbricked? Is there any way to hack into SSH? or to the router? (i need username and password to enter into SSH mode)

Thank you for any help smile

(Last edited by giovannithex on 19 Apr 2015, 18:56)

Your router is NOT bricked. It is operating normaly if you can connect to it's main page.
Go to this wiki link, read it in DETAIL and follow instructions how to do "reset to factory details" it is really easy.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe

And here is youtube example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axQvgqvlhcU

Once you are connected via putty to your router just issue "firstboot" command that will reset all setting to factory defaults, and remove your previous password.

to just reset your password do this:
mount_root
passwd

and then enter new password and reboot the device.

The discussion might have continued from here.