OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: bricked wr740n

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@bkil so I need to flash twice is that correct first with factory bin then after reboot with sysupgrade????
I will try it on monday and let you know
thank you again to you both for input and help

No double flashing is needed, It is enough to follow the most recently outlined steps. Doing an OpenWRT sysupgrade (downgrade) via telnet from trunk to Barrier Breaker is enough.

My original suggestion would have involved flashing to OEM via telnet sysupgrade, then flashing the newest OEM from the OEM UI, and the flashing OpenWRT BB from factory. It turns out that this is not required, so we could skip a few steps.

robi62 wrote:

tommorow replacement router should arrive

@robi62 This is from post #26
Now there are 2 routers involved in the post, on your last post I'm worry cause, it's not clear if you are asking about Router #1 or Router #2
@bkil answer is for Router #1 and I assume you are asking about how to the new Router #2 would be flash.
Just caution.

i am reffering to router n1 new one we will leave it alone for time being
Monday I will try it and let you know both
Thank you

robi62 wrote:

new one we will leave it alone

That won't happen again, in case you want to flash new one, if you receive another 740 version 4 in post #25 I linked you to the file with interface, once flashed log to http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci no need to set password for the moment, turn on wifi, set security, by default is a router, in case need it change subnet (third segment on ip) and if you need a Repeater, (Client) post and will link you to a LuCi tuto.

@danymarc will it be easier to do it on windows????
i cannot seem to work this scp although   I managed it yesterday
I went to page bkil suggested for scp in mac but this key file @amazon its conffusing ....
My computer is called macbook-black @root 192.168.1:/tmp/ is where I want to go to put the file
first i telnet with router which I managed then do I open another window in terminal to start scp....?
i did that today but I keep getting mda rsa key etc etc
For first time I need to know exactely how to do it  what to write then I can figure it out for next time
Does it make sense?.

(Last edited by robi62 on 27 Mar 2015, 17:56)

Okay, forget SCP then and we'll just download the image on the router. Connect to the router via telnet and type (or copy&paste) the following:

cd /tmp &&
wget -O o.bin http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_breaker/14.07/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr740n-v4-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin &&
[ "`md5sum o.bin`" = "2cf3c1d2a4af44403a8a559edcd45da7  o.bin" ] &&
sysupgrade -v o.bin ||
echo error $?

Then it's only a matter of minutes before it automatically finishes. Watch out for the line breaks in this post. If you first copy&paste this box to a text file, you will see it more clearly.

Edit: removed backslash to enable copy&pasting to single line

(Last edited by bkil on 27 Mar 2015, 20:03)

bkil wrote:

Okay, forget SCP then and we'll just download the image on the router. Connect to the router via telnet and type (or copy&paste) the following:

cd /tmp &&
wget -O o.bin \
http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_breaker/14.07/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr740n-v4-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin &&
[ "`md5sum o.bin`" = "2cf3c1d2a4af44403a8a559edcd45da7  o.bin" ] &&
sysupgrade -v o.bin ||
echo error $?

Watch out for the line breaks in this post. If you first copy&paste this box to a text file, you will see it more clearly.

I am not good with this things so you will have to be patient

you will have to put numbers for me for each line I have to input and also does the router need to be connected to internet or can i do ii with wifi????
I am sorry but I am no good with all of this :-(

Yes, Internet is needed if you download it like that. If you connect your ISP uplink (CATV/ADSL modem, etc) to the WAN port, it should automatically connect.

If you copy & paste the text block into a text file on your OS X, one of your text editors will display line numbers. Actually if you input all text I have given without line breaks in a single line separated by spaces, it will still work... I've now removed the backslash I've inserted for convenience to enable this.

(Last edited by bkil on 27 Mar 2015, 20:47)

Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (78.24.191.177:80)
o.bin                 99% |******************************************************************************************************************************** |  3199k  - stalled -

I keep getting this error when downlooading file…

I have done it now firmware was installed thank you

Gosh interface has a lot of things  its gonna take me a while to figure it out

Thank you bkil and dannymarc for all you patience you had with me and for the help

(Last edited by robi62 on 27 Mar 2015, 20:25)

robi62 wrote:

Thank you bkil and dannymarc for all you patience you had with me and for the help

@robi62, the only one to thank is @bkil, you rearly find someone like him, others in your situation are helped through CLI to set the router, there is a lot of benefit flashing Trunk,  and setting via CLI, you have free space for adding packages, and there is a lot of useful packages, not your case for now, thanks to @bkil you have learned things, you didn't even know you and your Mac could do, with Stock FW you would have had so many problems, you would need constant reboots.
Now just be carefull, you do not have reset button, read now about Failsafe http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe when you get into a problem that's your solution.
If you care for reset button you can Sysupgrade Router #1 or flash Router #2 with Factory file from Community Releases / Announcements → OpenWRT builds (BB&CC) fully featured for various routers link here https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=47382
Just be carefull to download your file from Current build BB: r43737, now you learned BB has LuCi interface
If you download from  Current build CC: r43757 you will go back to the situation you just got out, CC is Chaos Calmer, Bleeding Edge, development branch (trunk) this is the one it does not have LuCi interface.
Enjoy.

(Last edited by danymarc on 27 Mar 2015, 23:30)

@danymarc I have managed to flash my router 2 with openwrt and I now use it as a repeter :-)

I wanted to try firmware from your last post but can t open folder of cc r43737 on web to be able to download version for wr740n any ieads why I can't ....?..
Maybe not avalaible anymore?...

(Last edited by robi62 on 30 Mar 2015, 21:03)

If you mean you downloaded but can't unzip, I was not able to unzip with WinRar or WinZip I had to use 7-Zip
Read note under download link on post #1
Upgrade without keeping your configuration

@danymarc that folder it would not show contents of it so I cuold not download any files
I have tried other revisions and it works so  I take it maybe those files r not avalaible anymore

The discussion might have continued from here.