OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Gazoo wrote:

@alirz
Many places are blowing out factory re-certified versions of this router for around 110 USD. I picked one up for 139 CAD to play around with: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ncix-ref … a-1699169/

You'd be better off buying one of the blowouts.

Or, pick up an ASUS AC56U brand new for $110.00CAD, dual 800ghz + great wifi. Slap tomato on it for adblocking.

(Last edited by mojolacerator on 27 Mar 2015, 16:42)

mojolacerator wrote:
Gazoo wrote:

@alirz
Many places are blowing out factory re-certified versions of this router for around 110 USD. I picked one up for 139 CAD to play around with: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ncix-ref … a-1699169/

You'd be better off buying one of the blowouts.

Or, pick up an ASUS AC56U brand new for $110.00CAD, dual 800ghz + great wifi. Slap tomato on it for adblocking.

I find OpenWrt much better and more flexible than Tomato.

@mojolacerator

It's not all roses in "Asus land". I already have a RT-AC66U with Merlin on it .. Asus breaks stuff all the time even with Merlin trying to fix things as fast as Asus breaks them.

(Last edited by Gazoo on 27 Mar 2015, 17:12)

lifehacksback wrote:
l3333 wrote:

@lifehacksback

What exactly kernel modules have you added?

-btrfs kmod
-wshaper

edit: nvrmnd. DavidMcWRT beat me to it!

@lifehacksback,

I was under the impression SQM is the preferred QOS method nowadays? There's a luci app available for it too.

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cer … Management

(Last edited by tusc on 27 Mar 2015, 17:43)

nitroshift wrote:

@belliash

It will take some time to integrate the NFP bits upstream, so for the moment the answer would be no.

nitroshift

Then maybe could you share the patch? smile

@nitroshift

Hi,
Maybe I bother you and ask about my request about a custom built image? Are we waiting for the new kernel or something by any chance?

nitroshift wrote:

@mojolacerator

Please respect the title of the thread. Discussions for Asus devices are here: https://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?b … age=en-us. Thank you.

nitroshift

I made a comment in regards to my own experience with the WRT1900AC, the following posts were discussing it, nail them.

No worries, I won't be upsetting anyone here anymore........lol......

@gazoo -

I'm running two RT-AC3200's with Merlin, and an N66U with Merlin as a wireless bridge. Life is good, internet reliability is awesome, and NO wireless drops EVER.

Good Luck All.

(Last edited by mojolacerator on 27 Mar 2015, 18:36)

@alirz

If you have Linux running, you can have an OpenWrt image built in an hour or two with maybe 10 minutes of actual work. If you don't, you could probably find a pre-built Linux VM (Debian or whatnot) and have an image built in a bit more than that. OpenWrt is designed to be easily built, so there's no real mystery involved.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/buildroot.exigence
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build

(Last edited by leitec on 27 Mar 2015, 18:37)

@alirz

I'm still waiting for you to tell me ALL the packages you want included in the image...

nitroshift

@nitroshift

I did actually reply to you yesterday but no worries at all. I'm thankful that you are helping me with this.

I would like to keep the same kernel that is in Kaloz's latest build.
i.e 3.18.9 . I want to make sure package compatibility is not broken with the newer kernel. Unless the newer kernel has better performance?
Will the image also have all the packages kalzo had in his snapshot?
In Any case heres a txt file with all the packages that came in Kalzo's snapshot and also including the few that installed myself. I would like to have all those in the image. I honestly dont know how much effort it is on your part to include packages in a custom build. Feel free to let me know if it takes too much time on your part and if you wouldn't want to do a custom build for me. Thanks

Full package list: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/488 … ckages.txt
Kaloz's build: https://downloads.openwrt.org/people/kaloz/

My custom installed packages:

luci-theme-openwrt
block-mount
python-setuptools
python-pip
ip  (ip_3.19.0-1_mvebu.ipk)
openssh-sftp-server
postfix
tcpdump

Any reason why so much space is reserved for /tmp and only 25MB for / ?

(Last edited by alirz on 27 Mar 2015, 22:15)

/tmp is just that, a temporary, in-memory filesystem that is wiped when you reboot. / is on one of two rootfs partitions in the 128MB firmware, and until there is a better way to get around the dual firmware thing (that is, use all available flash space in OpenWrt without breaking compatibility with factory FW) you are sort of stuck with the smallish allocation.

Anyone could edit the dts to change the flash layout and reconfigure u-boot to boot from that instead. But that breaks compatibility with the dual firmware system and thus the factory firmware. And, of course, you always risk overwriting the bootloader if you aren't careful.

I think it was @NYT that posted his wireless config.  Thanks for that.  Mine worked better once I changed a few things in the wireless config.  One setting that didn't work for me was htmode  at VHT40(on 2.4Ghz).  It works at VHT20 and HT20.  Can someone tell me what exactly that does? Not the 20 part, the VHT vs HT?  I noticed that it produced sine wave in my wireless utility, instead of a square wave. ( smile ) And, is there a way to push my config to the wireless config when I flash with a full image.  You must be able to use 1 command to push it into the file, instead of using the vi editor. Thanks.

(Last edited by ShawnG1972 on 27 Mar 2015, 21:30)

ShawnG1972 wrote:

I think it was @NYT that posted his wireless config.  Thanks for that.  Mine worked better once I changed a few things in the wireless config.  One setting that didn't work for me was htmode  at VHT40(on 2.4Ghz).  It works at VHT20 and HT20.  Can someone tell me what exactly that does? Not the 20 part, the VHT vs HT?  I noticed that it produced sine wave in my wireless utility, instead of a square wave. ( smile ) And, is there a way to push my config to the wireless config when I flash with a full image.  You must be able to use 1 command to push it into the file, instead of using the vi editor. Thanks.

VHT (Very High Throughput) is ac and HT (High Throughput) is n; both control the frequency width for their respective evolutions

This provides an extremely detailed explanation:

http://electronicdesign.com/communicati … t-wireless

(Last edited by JW0914 on 27 Mar 2015, 21:43)

DavidMcWRT wrote:

If you're using Apple devices you may still need to do the following even with the latest driver:

uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].disassoc_low_ack=0
uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[1].disassoc_low_ack=0
uci commit
wifi

I don't believe this is needed anymore... and was only semi-effective anyway. YMMV but I'm no longer having connectivity problems with the latest trunk and without the above.

Is anyone using "sudo" ? I've done all the config, but cant seem to get the correct sudo command for some reason.
I've used this on MCWRT successfully in the past: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/secure.access

"sudo su" should work but i get: command not found

if i just run sudo i get:

ali@OpenWrt:~$ sudo
usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -V
usage: sudo -v [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-u user]
usage: sudo -l [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-U user] [-u user] [command]
usage: sudo [-AbEHknPS] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-u user] [VAR=value] [-i|-s] [<command>]
usage: sudo -e [-AknS] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-u user] file

(Last edited by alirz on 27 Mar 2015, 22:05)

@nitroshift

Please do confirm if you saw my previous post. Page 156.
This thread moves fast.

jklap wrote:
DavidMcWRT wrote:

If you're using Apple devices you may still need to do the following even with the latest driver:

uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].disassoc_low_ack=0
uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[1].disassoc_low_ack=0
uci commit
wifi

I don't believe this is needed anymore... and was only semi-effective anyway. YMMV but I'm no longer having connectivity problems with the latest trunk and without the above.

Thanks for recording your experience.

If memory serves me, when PatWRT(?) published the initial patch to sort out the flakey Apple WiFi someone reported that the disassoc_low_ack was still needed with it for rock-solid connection.

I wasn't sure after Marvell posted their new driver and own fix to the problem if it was the same, more encompassing, or perhaps still required the above kludge.  Hence my "may still need".

But if what you say is true and others can also confirm it then we can remove the old (partial) work-around.

(Last edited by DavidMcWRT on 28 Mar 2015, 01:02)

alirz wrote:

Is anyone using "sudo" ? I've done all the config, but cant seem to get the correct sudo command for some reason.
I've used this on MCWRT successfully in the past: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/secure.access

"sudo su" should work but i get: command not found

if i just run sudo i get:

ali@OpenWrt:~$ sudo
usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -V
usage: sudo -v [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-u user]
usage: sudo -l [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-U user] [-u user] [command]
usage: sudo [-AbEHknPS] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-u user] [VAR=value] [-i|-s] [<command>]
usage: sudo -e [-AknS] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-u user] file

Sudo replaces [the need to run] su.

To do what you're trying to do you'd actually do:

sudo ash

(run the ash shell as superuser).

However, more typically you'd run single commands with sudo, such as

sudo cat /etc/shadow

More general info and examples:
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/09/sud … -examples/

I've definitely seen people run 'sudo su' and 'sudo bash' (or other shell) a lot, but sudo has '-s' and '-i' built in for just that. '-i' sets up an environment more similar to a standard login shell.

@DavidMcWRT

Thanks "sudo ash" worked. To be honest i've never seen/used it like that ever before.
Should i read that as "sudo a s h"  or "ash" ?

in any case, problem solved. Thanks.

ShawnG1972 wrote:

It's possible your base channel will not allow you to run dual channel in the upwards direction.

If you're using channel 1, you can use VHT40, if you're using say channel 10, you can't, and have to use VHT40-

@alirz

I have read your post. Will get building later on this evening or Monday morning. The actual work on my part is selecting the packages in menuconfig, the bigger lot of work is done automatically.

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 28 Mar 2015, 09:02)

Hi guys,

I bricked my WRT1900AC sad

Using Windows 7 with TFTP and Putty:

I have pulled it apart and connected it using usb to ttl. I reloaded my image from McWRT but I keep getting the below message after reset command.

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x3200000, size 0x400000
 4194304 bytes read: OK
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!

I not sure what I need to do next, any help would be great.

I got the same problem... What i did was:

setenv firmware_name openwrt.img
setenv ipaddr 192.168.200.1
setenv netmask 255.255.255.0
setenv serverip 192.168.200.2
run update_both_images
boot

(Last edited by belliash on 28 Mar 2015, 08:52)

Sorry, posts 3876 to 3875 are missing from our archive.