OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WR841ND - V9, change RAM to 64MB, Flash to 16MB

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

i remove the 32MB RAM and solder a 64MB Chip. Runs great. But i want to change the SPI-Flash-Chip to 16 MB (Winbond W25Q128). Do I need to compile a new u-boot bootloader? Or works the "u boot mod" from pepe2k with the V9 (SoC: QCA9533-AL3A)

Greetings Roland :-)

You need modify u-boot to support new chip, but pepe2k's u-boot mod doesn't support cpu QCA9533.
May be oem u-boot can work with new flash chip, I'm not sure. Try it.

OK, i test it with stock u-boot. Booting is ok, but only 4MB of the flash chip recognized. thats no problem, if openwrt runs it displays the correct memory size.

I read many articles to self recompile uboot for this router, but for now i have a working solution. :-)

Roland.Zimmermann1 wrote:

Hi,

i remove the 32MB RAM and solder a 64MB Chip. Runs great. But i want to change the SPI-Flash-Chip to 16 MB (Winbond W25Q128). Do I need to compile a new u-boot bootloader? Or works the "u boot mod" from pepe2k with the V9 (SoC: QCA9533-AL3A)

Greetings Roland :-)

Hi Roland !
Would you be kind enough to share your hardware mods and how you achieved them ? I have a TP-Link TL-WR841ND - V8 model and am keenly interested in increasing both, the flash memory and RAM. Any help would be much appreciated.

Tridon

The discussion might have continued from here.