OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Build for WNDR3700/WNDR3800

The content of this topic has been archived between 9 Jul 2013 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Do you guys still get DMA errors?

I have a 3800 on BB build r44152, and I get things such as:

[24974.750000] ath: phy0: Failed to stop TX DMA, queues=0x002!
[25295.050000] ath: phy0: Failed to stop TX DMA, queues=0x006!
[40998.650000] ath: phy0: Failed to stop TX DMA, queues=0x002!

(Last edited by raz123 on 15 Mar 2015, 21:40)

Manp wrote:
int03h wrote:

This is fairly common .. there is a ticket open somewhere .. the fix is simple:

Ignore LUCI and go and edit this by hand :
* note the location .. its NOT /etc/config/upnpd

Here is mine: ( YMMV depending on what you are doing ) :

root@router:/etc/config# cat /var/etc/miniupnpd.conf
ext_ifname=eth1
listening_ip=br-lan
port=5000
enable_natpmp=yes
enable_upnp=yes
secure_mode=yes
pcp_allow_thirdparty=no
system_uptime=yes
lease_file=/var/upnp.leases
bitrate_down=8388608
bitrate_up=4194304
uuid=b9d840af-11b7-490f-92fa-7191d9370c99
model_number=wnd3700
allow 1024-65535 0.0.0.0/0 1024-65535
deny 0-65535 0.0.0.0/0 0-65535

then do a:
/etc/init.d/miniupnpd enable
/etc/init.d/miniupnpd start
/etc/init.d/firewall restart

It will now persist after reboots and operate as normal.

" ps | grep miniupnpd "  will confirm this and show you:

14315 root      1184 S    /usr/sbin/miniupnpd -f /var/etc/miniupnpd.conf -d

Don't touch any of this in LUCI. ( at least I don't  - since the results are random )

EDIT : /var is /tmp .. looks like it uses /etc/upnpd as the template and then when it fires up at some point it puts it in /var/etc .. I couldn't figure out why the edits in LUCI aren't persisting .. or mapping to what was in the files.. seems this has something to do with it too.

as of the lastest trunk (r44633 ) UPNP seems to be broken still.
basically with the default config the miniupnpd service starts but it crashes at the first attempt a device on the network does to set a rule (i tried with my NAS as well as one of those UPNP test programs you can find around the net).

as weird as it seems adding "wndr3700" as the announced model number from LUCI (and not directly into the  /var/etc/miniupnpd.conf config file) seems to fix the problem. miniupnpd has been running fine for the past 10 minutes but doesn't seem to be accepting rules from my NAS (used to work just fine with r43100 which is the latest version that seems to work with no workarounds for me).

any ideas?

EDIT: actually, scratch that. adding anything to the announced model number under LUCI seems to fix the issue. after rebooting the NAS miniupnpd happily takes the new rules and miniupnpd no longer disappear from the process list.

EDIT2: yeah, no... miniupnpd still randomly crashes neutral
i've now reverted back to miniupnpd 1.8, let's see how that goes

miniupnpd 1.8.20140523-4 seems to be stable for me.
would it be possible to compile the latest miniupnpd-1.9.20150307 to test it? the one in trunks seems to be 3 months old.

smile

raz123 wrote:

Do you guys still get DMA errors?

I have not seen TX DMA errors in ages. At least not in that way, several in a row.

Manp wrote:

would it be possible to compile the latest miniupnpd-1.9.20150307 to test it? the one in trunks seems to be 3 months old.

You should probably report that crashiness at https://github.com/openwrt-routing/packages/issues and hope that devs bump it to a newer version. I am not using upnp myself, so I am not going to bump the version just in my build.

hnyman wrote:
Manp wrote:

You should probably report that crashiness at https://github.com/openwrt-routing/packages/issues and hope that devs bump it to a newer version. I am not using upnp myself, so I am not going to bump the version just in my build.

did that. let's see.

smile

EDIT: apparently no one cares

(Last edited by Manp on 30 Mar 2015, 12:19)

Manp wrote:
hnyman wrote:
Manp wrote:

would it be possible to compile the latest miniupnpd-1.9.20150307 to test it?

did that. let's see.

Miniupnpd has now been updated to 1.9.20150307 and the r45186 trunk build includes that.

hnyman wrote:
Manp wrote:
hnyman wrote:

did that. let's see.

Miniupnpd has now been updated to 1.9.20150307 and the r45186 trunk build includes that.

ah thanks, i'll update and report back smile

EDIT: 11 hours of uptime and no miniupnpd crashes. sounds good.

i'll report back in acouple of days smile

(Last edited by Manp on 1 Apr 2015, 23:13)

So, I've been using these builds with my WNDR3800 for a while now (Thanks hnyman for providing them!).  Recently my internet was upgraded to 300 Mbps down, but I'm only able to get around 200 Mbps through the router (with a computer directly connected to the modem, I get 300 Mbps no problem.  Same computer attached directly to router with Cat6 cable only gets 200 Mbps). Currently running Chaos Calmer r45194 (was running an older build of Barrier Breaker with same problem and upgraded to see if it helped). QOS is turned off.  Only non-standard software from this build that I'm running is unbound. 

Has anybody else been able to get 300 Mbps with OpenWRT/these builds on their N600s?  According to smallnetbuilder.com's router charts, the WNDR3800 should be able to do 335.3 Mbps WAN to LAN (and WNDR3700v2 should be able to do over 400 Mbps). 

Are there any tweaks that I can do to try to get better speed?

(Last edited by _tuuk on 7 Apr 2015, 05:32)

_tuuk wrote:

Has anybody else been able to get 300 Mbps with OpenWRT/these builds on their N600s?  According to smallnetbuilder.com's router charts, the WNDR3800 should be able to do 335.3 Mbps WAN to LAN (and WNDR3700v2 should be able to do over 400 Mbps). 

Are there any tweaks that I can do to try to get better speed?

I think that you are reaching the limits. You might also read this thread: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=51726

hnyman wrote:

I think that you are reaching the limits. You might also read this thread: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=51726

Thanks for the response.  Seems the problem is with NAT not being hardware accelerated (though with native IPv6, that shouldn't be a problem*).  Looks like the only way to get faster speed would be to overclock the CPU.  Is that even an option with the N600s?  I only found one post about overclocking them, and the person that tried it said it failed.

*After reading it, I ran iperf using IPv6 to connect to my VPS and and was able to reach a max of 307 Mbps! IPv4 only got a max of 148 Mbps. And that's to a server over 2000 km away.

(Last edited by _tuuk on 7 Apr 2015, 10:01)

Thank you for this build. After using it for several months, it is MUCH more stable then arokh's builds.

Out of curiosity, what is the best method to update to new firmware? I usually do it through Luci and have it forget all settings and re-configure everything from scratch. Hopefully that is the proper method?

ZzBloopzZ wrote:

Thank you for this build. After using it for several months, it is MUCH more stable then arokh's builds.

Out of curiosity, what is the best method to update to new firmware? I usually do it through Luci and have it forget all settings and re-configure everything from scratch. Hopefully that is the proper method?

I usually upgeade using Luci and keeping settings. Every few months I build settings from scratch.

Manp wrote:
hnyman wrote:
Manp wrote:

did that. let's see.

ah thanks, i'll update and report back smile

EDIT: 11 hours of uptime and no miniupnpd crashes. sounds good.

i'll report back in acouple of days smile

as far as i'm concerned the issue is fixed with the update to 1.9.20150307-1.

thanks smile

When I upgrade the newest firmware, the router lost many config files such as 'luci', 'network', 'wireless'. Please help me to solve this problem, thank you.

gkl1368 wrote:

When I upgrade the newest firmware, the router lost many config files such as 'luci', 'network', 'wireless'. Please help me to solve this problem, thank you.

Most likely bug 19439, caused by busybox update at 45272 and most likely fixed by 45321.
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/19439

I removed the newer builds from Dropbox, and the next build should be ok again.  (But naturally the already lost config files are lost.)

(Last edited by hnyman on 9 Apr 2015, 10:06)

@hnyman: same problems as gkl1368 reports happened in Arokh's builds.
Root cause was empty/blank lines in his UCI script.
Apparently, due to the recent UCI updates, empty lines in the script cause problems like described above.

(Last edited by bouwew on 9 Apr 2015, 13:51)

bouwew wrote:

@hnyman: same problems as gkl1368 reports happened in Arokh's builds.
Root cause was empty/blank lines in his UCI script.
Apparently, due to the recent UCI updates, empty lines in the script cause problems like described above.

I still disagree. The issue sounds more like related to the busybox change than to uci changes. The uci changes should not cause whole default config files to disappear, while the busybox bug may cause some config files to be not copied during a sysupgrade.

(There is no such uci batch script in my build. The scripts in uci-defaults are global and should then affect everybody.)

But it will be interesting to see: I have now possibly "faulty busybox" versions in both of my production routers. I expect that some of the settings may be lost in the next upgrade (to the fixed build being built right now).

EDIT:
Yeah, I lost some settings files when upgrading from 45279 to 45337. I expect that the busybox bug will hit practically everybody when updating from any 45272-45320 build.  Make a backup of your settings before upgrading.

EDIT2:
upgrading from 45337 to 45340 kept settings intact. 45337 had already thebusybox fix, while the "uci batch" bug is fixed by 45340.

(Last edited by hnyman on 9 Apr 2015, 17:25)

You're probably right smile
I was just relaying Arokh's conclusion.
I met the same problems as described above, fortunately I routinely make backups of my config files big_smile

After reading your post some more, I remember I had this problem starting from build 45144, maybe already before. It got "solved" in build 45250.
I'm now on 45277 (WDR4900V1), no issues. Just FYI.

(Last edited by bouwew on 9 Apr 2015, 18:30)

Just read the latest buildlog: 45340: "uci: update to the latest version, fixes a regression in handling empty/comment lines in uci batch"
Seems there are/were two unrelated issues resulting in similar symptoms.

Just updated to r45383 on my WNDR3700 v1. Everything is stable as a rock and smooth.

Thanks hnyman!

Sorry, posts 1271 to 1275 are missing from our archive.