OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: issue with 3g dongle on lantiq (BB 14.07)

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this issue when trying to connect a 3g dongle (I have tried ZTE MF112  and Huawei K3520) to a Lantiq router. I have seen the same issue with both tp-w8970 and BThomehub 2B.

My config looks like

config interface 'wan2'
        option ifname '3g-wan2'
        option device '/dev/ttyUSB2'
        option apn 'mbb.voiamo.net'
        option service 'umts'
        option proto '3g'
        option dns '208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220'
        option metric '30'
        option peerdns '0'

The dongle fails to connect; the connection gets stuck on

gcom -d /dev/ttyUSB2 -s /etc/gcom/getcardinfo.gcom

The process cannot be killed while the dongle is present and it has to be disconnected.

I have also wdr3600 (ar71xx) and the same config works flawlessly with both dongles.

(Last edited by dziny on 8 Mar 2015, 18:30)

Is  /dev/ttyUSB2 created when you plug in the modem?  Check dmesg for USB related messages.  You may need a kernel driver such as kmod-usb-acm (for old models), kmod-usb-serial-wwan, or one of the vendor specific ones like kmod-usb-serial-option.  Do a lsmod on the system that works and see which modules are in use.

Usually the modem will have several ports, but number 0 is the one to use to make a ppp call and connect to the Internet.

(Last edited by mk24 on 8 Mar 2015, 21:28)

mk24 wrote:

Is  /dev/ttyUSB2 created when you plug in the modem?  Check dmesg for USB related messages.  You may need a kernel driver such as kmod-usb-acm (for old models), kmod-usb-serial-wwan, or one of the vendor specific ones like kmod-usb-serial-option.  Do a lsmod on the system that works and see which modules are in use.

Usually the modem will have several ports, but number 0 is the one to use to make a ppp call and connect to the Internet.

I have checks dmesg and all ports /dev/ttyUSB0-/dev/ttyUSB2 are created when the dongle is plugged. It looks normal. So that's is definitely not an issue. I have the same kernel modules installed on w8970 and wdr3600 but it just hangs on Lantiq (w8970). Concerning the port number, MF112 uses /dev/ttyUSB2 (again works like that fine on wdr36000), my other dongle K3620 uses /dev/ttyUSB0 for the ppp.

I have this problem too on a Netgear DGN3500. I found this bug report (https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/18424), which was closed, but I've just reopened it.

I do not see this issue on w8970 or another lantiq target (Bthomehub 5A) on DD trunk (self compiled). I have also used w8970 with "eko" build of CC and the 3g modem worked reliably. So it's a strange issue that went away for me when I moved from BB.

(Last edited by dziny on 15 May 2016, 20:16)

The discussion might have continued from here.