OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Aukey PB-W1 support

The content of this topic has been archived on 11 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I've bought an Aukey PB-W1 ( http://www.aukey.com/product/wireless-r … rbank-pbw1 ) and after discover the crappy firmware, I tried to discover if it's some clone of one of the supported models. I started to look for some hardware data, and found it has 32MB, and a config.sh file with the following content http://pastebin.com/1gujcMLG
I've found some HAME strings by grepping /dev/mtp0ro so I decided to risk it and flash the MPR2 openwrt version following the instructions in the wiki ( http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hame/mpr-a2 ) and luckly it went well and now I have a fully functional device with an awesome firmware instead the crappy one by default big_smile

Full dmesg output -> http://pastebin.com/nhgK8Zk2

Hey there,
I just bought the aukey due to the information from @minWi. Thx
But I got a few questions.

-Did you build the image yourself or flashed a prebuild one.

-is the usb port for 3g modems supported (surf sticks)

Thx
Greetings

klausel wrote:

Hey there,
I just bought the aukey due to the information from @minWi. Thx
But I got a few questions.

-Did you build the image yourself or flashed a prebuild one.

-is the usb port for 3g modems supported (surf sticks)

Thx
Greetings

I build the image following the instructions, but then I found the stable image and reflashed it, and it is working fine since then.
The USB stick is working fine, check this blog post about the configuration if you need it -> http://b.minwi.com/2015/03/15/huawei-e3 … erbreaker/
HTH!!

any chance you can point me to the image you are using?

Because I also tried to build my own image and I'm getting lots of "out of memory" messages.... looks like it's not using 32MB

thanx in advance!

@gschor: I recently purchased a -W2 (Hame A1 clone *), and mine has 16 MB RAM (you may telnet in, and run "free" to find out more - I get something around 13 MB total).
My 3G stick seems to be recognized (I didn't have a spare SIM at hand), but a pendrive (USB flash disk) wasn't. Not sure whether this is intentional.
The FW revision was 2.4.something.more, but aukey doesn't seem to have a download area for FW updates. (@minWi: where did you get yours?)
What a pity, I'd love to dig deeper into the root filesystem. Currently I have no idea how to get a backup of the FW...
(Idea: get "nc" compiled for MIPS, run server on my computer, cat /dev/mtdblock0 | nc ... this should work, right?)

(*) They must have swapped the numbers on purpose to have us confused. PB-W2 ~ MPR-A1, PB-W1 ~ MPR-A2?

(Last edited by steve8x8 on 12 Oct 2015, 12:48)

@steve8x8

I also had a -w2
I opened it up and saw that it had a 32MB chip on it, but only recognized 16MB.
I compiled several images and successfully flashed them onto the device, but it never recognized more ram (because I read on the forum that you can change some parameters, so more ram would be used)
So the webinterface wasn't usable with only 16MB.

I then tried to upload a different bootloader but unfortunately because I couldn't wait long enough, I bricked my device. Then I ordered 2 more on amazon (only 9€).

Somewhere on the forum I read that you have to solder a resistor on the board so that it can recognize the whole 32MB.
I will try that sometime (using the bricked one for parts) but haven't found the time so far...

steve8x8 wrote:

@gschor: I recently purchased a -W2 (Hame A1 clone *), and mine has 16 MB RAM (you may telnet in, and run "free" to find out more - I get something around 13 MB total).
My 3G stick seems to be recognized (I didn't have a spare SIM at hand), but a pendrive (USB flash disk) wasn't. Not sure whether this is intentional.
The FW revision was 2.4.something.more, but aukey doesn't seem to have a download area for FW updates. (@minWi: where did you get yours?)
What a pity, I'd love to dig deeper into the root filesystem. Currently I have no idea how to get a backup of the FW...
(Idea: get "nc" compiled for MIPS, run server on my computer, cat /dev/mtdblock0 | nc ... this should work, right?)

(*) They must have swapped the numbers on purpose to have us confused. PB-W2 ~ MPR-A1, PB-W1 ~ MPR-A2?

I have a W2, would you happen to know that the telnet login is?

have you tried
user: zorlik
pass: zorlikafter2012

?

gschor wrote:

have you tried
user: zorlik
pass: zorlikafter2012

?

Tried, but that didnt work... I was hoping steve8x8 was still around as he seemed to make a decent amount of progress on it

actually I tried logging in via telnet just now:
user: the username you have on the web interface ("admin" in my case)
pass: the password you have for this user

so in short: configure a user and a pass in the webinterface and then log in via telnet with these credentials...

doh! why didnt I think to try that hmm it worked

I was dusting this thing off to try to get it setup as a router that would VPN home and then allow any device that connects to it to have access to the VPN'ed connection. Any chance this could be configured to do so? I read that is doesnt really have enough space to function correctly.

(Last edited by mikefletcher85 on 9 Feb 2016, 16:06)

I don't think that this will work, because I 've tried a lot and 16mb is not enough memory for LUCY. (combiled several images myself, but bricked the router when trying to flash another bootloader)

As I said above: I read somewhere in the forum that you can solder a resister somewhere on the board and then it is able to use the whole 32MB. (I can't find the link right now). I will try this sometime, because I want to link my weatherstation to the internet...

I have installed successfully openwrt on an hootoo tripmate mini ht-tm03 and using it as a mobile access point for tablet and phone with an lte-usb-stick.

You may want to consider a Kingstom MLWG2. 
It has a MediaTek MT7620N SoC with 16M Flash and 64M DDR2 RAM.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=55077

Kingston has come out with a MLWG3 and is dumping these for $30.99 USD shipped to the US (sorry to those abroad). 
I have not got OpenVPN running as yet, but do on both a HooToo TM-02 and GLI AR-150.  Similar processors, but the HooToo is half the GLI and twice the PB-W1 (I think) flash and RAM.  My OpenVPN performance went up about 50% on the AR-150, so I guess the Aukey\Hame will be even slower.

The discussion might have continued from here.