OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: airmusic NW11 - AR9331/32M RAM/8M Flash/Audio Codec

The content of this topic has been archived between 28 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Aldo.Dekker wrote:

To update on my progress of the work on 2 January. I made a mistake in the copying address as you can read in my previous post. I did it again and now the unit starts. But it seems that I damaged my ART file in the process because I get an error message during boot.

ath: phy0: Unable to initialize hardware; initialization status: -5
ath9k ar933x_wmac: failed to initialize device
ath9k: probe of ar933x_wmac failed with error -5

So now I need an ART file to repair the unit. Can anyone send me a copy of his ART file? In the post http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/restore_art_partition they give instructions how you can make a dump of the art file.

I hope someone can help me.

I have sucessfully restored an Airmusic device with the help of the pyhon script you have also used (but with the right parameters):

sudo python ubootwrite.py --verbose --serial=/dev/ttyUSB0 --write=./image.bin --addr=0x81000000
sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200
erase 0x9f020000 +0x7C0000
cp.b 0x81000000 0x9f020000 0x7C0000
bootm 9f020000
You can try to restore your ART Partition with the image I have copied from the /dev/mtd4 of my device: 0x0000007f0000-0x000000800000 : "art"

Download it from here: https://app.box.com/s/4qr26v0z8dxg6gxq2a5m

(Last edited by bagi on 4 Jan 2015, 15:23)

Hello to everybody. I bought yesterday an airmusic nw11. The machine was working great. I tried to update firmware from wifi, and although i get no error messages, when i rebooted i cannot find the ssid. The machine is powering up, and the wifi led blinks 3 times, and thats it. If you thinks there is a way to make it work again, please tell me also what tools do i need to proceed.
Thanks in advance.

Hi @samaras -- Where did you get this firmware? Where can I find firmware updates in the future?

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 94#p257994

Has anybody tried this firmware? A bit weird that the guy who posted it only has one post.

(Last edited by topdownjimmy on 7 Jan 2015, 18:17)

Dear Bagi,

Thank you for your ART file. I copied it to an USB stick and used the command:

mtd -r write /tmp/mnt/disk-a1/airmusic-m1.art.bin art

And after this the unit started again and it is working again.

Thank you again for the file.

samaras wrote:

NW11 1.1.01 Official version released

(1)  When resolving the two digits after the MAC is FF, computer/mobile phone to see the MAC will be Fe bug;
(2)  Save network settings, upgrade without losing again;
(3)  Optimization of DLNA and AIRPLAY audio service;
(4)  Support for USB audio playback;
(5)  Support the DMS;
(6)  Support OTA upgrade;
(7)  modification and APP language inconsistency BUG;
(8)  Join the Forum in a WEB page address;
(9)  Optimize memory consumption.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kmd3llw3xyg8 … 9.bin?dl=0

I'm now using this update which can also be found on the following website.

http://www.crystalaudiovideo.com/Produc … WiDAC.aspx

But I cannot find how to play audio files from the USB stick. I have seen that the USB stick is recognised (I used it to update my ART file). I looked in the manual on the website and it does not state that USB playback is supported, only Airplay and DLNA.

Is it possible to extract their DLNA audio renderer?

I finally managed to use the USB stick in the device for playing music.

I'm running firmware version FW:1.1.01-A21(A.01).

I found that if I was connecting my Ipad to the Airmusic router. In that case I could use the Ipad app Media:Connect. But playing the music from the 32 Gb usb stick was not running fluently. And changing every time to the AirMusic router is not easy.

So I looked for other options and found that the device has Ushare installed. I played a bit with the ushare comment, used different interfaces and connections. But if you use the ushare command it blocks the other input. So I though it must also run at startup.

I found the following file in /etc/config/ and changed it to:

root@airmusic:/etc/config# cat ushare

config 'ushare'
        option 'username' 'nobody'
        option 'servername' 'AirMusic-DMS'
        option 'interface' 'wlan1'
        option 'content_directories' '/tmp/mnt/disk-a1'
        option 'disable_telnet' '1'
        option 'disable_webif' '1'
        option 'enabled' '1'

Initially I also changed the ushare.conf file, but I removed my changes as the file above seems to set the right settings.

It works but sometimes the connection is lost and I have to restart the device. But that might also have been caused by my telnet connection. So I will try to play some music and report back later.

Hi,
I ordered this small mediaplayer and think to connect a 500Gb HD on the USB port.
Do you think it could be possible to enable an NFS (or ftp or ssh ) server on it, to be able to upload media through the network?
Any idea is welcome.
Thanks.
[EDIT] Toy received... Thank to Aldo.Dekker have enabled the ushare server and I can say it works like a charm on a 16Gb USB Key. Sound is very good. No issue at all. But on my 500Gb HD it fails very often, it's unusable (may be not enough memory?).
I think it's better to buy a Raspberry even it's little bit more expensive.

(Last edited by domtor0 on 13 Feb 2015, 00:40)

Please forgive me my noobish ignorance, but is this streamer suitable for turning an old audio system into internet radio receiver? I'm not interested in playing local mp3s via wifi or USB. I only want to listen to online radio stations.
Also, if the answer to my question is YES, is there an easy/comfortable way to control playback of online radio stations (switching preset radio stations, adding new ones) via smartphone?
Or maybe there is even cheaper solution for such purpose. I'm already looking into Hame mobile router (re-flashed to OpenWRT of  course) and USB souncard combo. This box looks "cleaner" but hame+usb souncard cost only half. Better ideas?
Thanks.

(Last edited by kaiser on 18 Feb 2015, 10:48)

if quality of your usb sound is enough for you, my opinion is that you should better try with hame/nexx.

kaiser wrote:

Or maybe there is even cheaper solution for such purpose. I'm already looking into Hame mobile router (re-flashed to OpenWRT of  course) and USB souncard combo. This box looks "cleaner" but hame+usb souncard cost only half. Better ideas?
Thanks.

It all depends on what you use to pull the internet radio stream and push it there. No experience on that.
I don't see a big difference in price between Hame A1 (i suppose this is the one you're referring to) and the NW11, of course if you then use a 1$ usb soundcard it would sound bad, and if you want to use a good usb soundcard you can easily pay a lot more.
The only thing that you can be sure is that the Hame solution is more flexible and can be adapted to different situation, while NW11, M1 or A900 are very stuck on the few option you can use. A very serious limit.

hackru wrote:

if quality of your usb sound is enough for you

winopener wrote:

I don't see a big difference in price between Hame A1 (i suppose this is the one you're referring to) and the NW11, of course if you then use a 1$ usb soundcard it would sound bad, and if you want to use a good usb soundcard you can easily pay a lot more.

Are those $1 soundcards really that unbearable? I mean, I see them recommended for similar projects all the time. I've even seen recommendations to add one of them to RPi because it's an upgrade to the integrated sound. Another point is that in my case it won't be connected to a Hi-Fi system but to an old cheapish Philips audio system via AUX-IN. And if I ever decide to connect it to something better sounding I can always throw that $1 soundcard into drawer and buy something better. But I really doubt that because I'm not much of an audiophile and it's only radio in the kitchen after all smile

(Last edited by kaiser on 20 Feb 2015, 07:24)

For such a thing the $1 soundcard can be ok. If the Hame+Soundcart cost half to you than a NW11, go for it.

Well it's not real Hame but it's clone. But has advantage of double RAM (32MB). It only costs $9.90 on AliExpress. Adding $1 souncard makes it $11 whis is exactly half of NW11.
If I'm not mistaken Hackru is Lolipop on Mysku.ru. Then there is a comprehensive review by him of the clone in question. And results look great to me.
Anyway, thank you for the input, guys! smile

Hi
My OS in my pc is Windows 7, I can’t listen to online radio stations, am using Windows media player, I can hear the radio stations on my pc, I can’t listen to them with SoundMate M1.
I can hear everything that resides in my pc (mp3, flac etc.).
When I try to listen to radio stations gives me this error: “unable to retrieve media information from media server”.
What do you advise me to do? What software should I use to listen to online radio stations?
Thank you for your attention.
Greetings.

i use itunes to stream music from my laptop via airplay to a set of speakers connected to airmusic and i am having trouble with very brief sound dropouts.
If anybody could help it would be much appreciated.

Samaras, based on your previous posts I assume you use the same firmware version as I do.

I had problems with one of the previous firmware versions. Which produced a lot of dropouts, I must admit that I still have dropouts, but very short and only once or twice when I'm listening for hours. I'm using my Ipad as music player and I think the Ipad is sometimes busy or the network is having problems, I do not believe it is always the Airmusic device.

I had a problem though with keeping Ushare available so a I added to crontab a command to start it every minute. It now works fine with my 32 Gb usb memory card. I imagine that a hard drive is sometimes too slow, but this might also depend on the drive and its own drive cache.

The command 'contrab -l" returns:

0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59 * * * * /etc/init.d/ushare start

So every minute contrab starts ushare, this did not affect the number of dropouts.

(Last edited by Aldo.Dekker on 6 Mar 2015, 10:29)

hi. tell me how to configure the music player daemon? in mpd.conf need to specify sound card. but in the folder / dev no sound card.

Hi,
I would like to add a true antenna, where do you think the antenna is ? Is it this part (cupper color, marked 'J5')  on the right of the main board?
Thanks

(Last edited by domtor0 on 18 Mar 2015, 21:49)

oskar25 wrote:

Hi
My OS in my pc is Windows 7, I can’t listen to online radio stations, am using Windows media player, I can hear the radio stations on my pc, I can’t listen to them with SoundMate M1.
I can hear everything that resides in my pc (mp3, flac etc.).
When I try to listen to radio stations gives me this error: “unable to retrieve media information from media server”.
What do you advise me to do? What software should I use to listen to online radio stations?
Thank you for your attention.
Greetings.

Just a supposition:
DLNA does not support streaming, only airplay can do it. So may be you have to change your client protocol to be able to stream radio stations?