OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-LINK WR702n (how to modify firmware from chinese to english ?)

The content of this topic has been archived between 25 Mar 2018 and 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

tica75 wrote:
krishntej wrote:

I tried to follow the instructions as described above. It was partly successful but the device wouldn't reboot. I waited a good 15-20 minutes before I pulled the power supply to the device and then re powered it, but it started asking me for a network passcode. I tried the previous one before flashing the device but unfortunately it did not work. I reset the device like 5 times now with absolutely no luck. The device is alright and the wifi signal is available and all but I need the network password to connect to it. I'd really be thankful if you could suggest me some solution to get this device working again.

I noticed that when I reset the device the led flashes 3 times and then later it glows and then it stops for a brief moment and then glows back again.

Update: I connected locally through lan and I could change the settings. The default password is '2FDFB822'. Thanks a lot for the wonderful work. Forever grateful.

Hello,

I have the same above problem but couldn't even get to the settings page through lan, it was 192.168.1.253 but not anymore and not 192.168.0.254 either. I tried that default password '2FDFB822' mentioned above but obviously it's not the same for all devices.

Appreciate if somebody can help.

Hello,

I apologize for the late reply. Did you try connecting to lan through a different system? I would suggest you try that method because that is how I got it to work?

tica75 - the default password is the last 8 characters of your MAC address.

on another note - i made the mistake of flashing the latest CN firmware before finding this thread. Currently the shared EN firmware returns a 18005 error. Any solutions to get english firmware into this?

engonaplane wrote:

on another note - i made the mistake of flashing the latest CN firmware before finding this thread. Currently the shared EN firmware returns a 18005 error. Any solutions to get english firmware into this?

My device came with the newest CN firmware (v5.03.02 - build 140818). I can confirm that the patched En firmware from this thread do not work anymore. Patching the current firmware via the md5 method doesn't work neither.

Error code: 18005
Can not be upgraded to the current version of the software.

The changelog for CN firmware 5.03.02 states that   

"after the upgrade, you can not pick up the previous version, please upgrade cautious. "

So i suspect the current firmware does some check on the version number before flashing.
The problem is that the current EN firmware is lower version v4 (4.12.66) compared to v5 of CN firmware.
I tried to patch the version string in the firmware at offset 36 to a higher version than 5.03.02 but it did not help.

This is the firmware shipped with newer CN devices now: http://service.tp-link.com.cn/detail_download_1783.html

(Last edited by janeczku on 28 Feb 2015, 01:23)

The firmware shipped with newer CN devices 5.03.02.
Please help me!

Once the units (mine was originally Chinese 4.18.85 Build 120530 Rel.56096n) gets updated to English
4.19.1 Build 130528 Rel.52704n (posted above)
there seems to be no way to upgrade it to anything more current English:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-W … l#Firmware

I can adjust model/checksum, but each time I get error:

Error code: 18005
Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect.
Please check the file name

Anybody has any ideas?

sebus

EDIT
There is no need to change anything, stock firmware now updates just fine directly.
Which makes no sense, we upgraded with firmware 07 02 00 01 but now 07 02 11 01 is accepted?!
Anyway, latest available firmware makes the unit:

4.18.102 Build 141203 Rel.61146n

(Last edited by sebus on 19 Dec 2015, 22:13)

Thanks lofrank so much!

Now I have upgraded my router to english version, and upgraded to the latest english firmware (4.18.102 Build 141203 Rel.61146n)

Jason

My device also came with the newest CN firmware (v5.03.02 - build 140818 Rel.37254n) and the patched En firmware from this thread do not work (Error code: 18005).

I am not sure that I understand sebus last EDIT:
"There is no need to change anything, stock firmware now updates just fine directly.
Which makes no sense, we upgraded with firmware 07 02 00 01 but now 07 02 11 01 is accepted?!
Anyway, latest available firmware makes the unit:
4.18.102 Build 141203 Rel.61146n"

I have tried uploading stock firmware (TL-WR702N_V1_140729, TL-WR702N_V1_141203 and TL-WR702N_V1_151021_US) but keep getting Err 18003)... also the new firmware screen (page) interface does not have the TFTP IP box... don't know if its matter ?

What am I missing ?
-------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Ok Guys, I am seriously doing my homework now:
- Got HxD editor;
- Have learned to change language code at offset 1c and 4009c from 07 02 11 01 to 07 02 00 01
- practice to recompute the MD5 checksum at offset 04 following jvvh5897's recipe (thanks !)
- change the file name of the modified fw back to the original cn fw file name (wr702nv1.bin)
- and upload the modified fw using the cn interface smile
... keep getting err 18005 "Can not be upgraded to the current version of the software. "

I am trying to go from cn v5.03.02 - build 140818 to English Build 141203 (http://www.tp-link.com/resources/softwa … 141203.zip). Both of these does not use TFTP to upload.

I am going to a higher version as this might be important as pointed out recently.

I am still struggling !

I have notice that the two fw are of different size (001563F3 for the cn and 00178AA03 for the en)... don't know if it matter ?

At this point guys, I need a serious hint from someone to work this out... I am stuck !

(Last edited by Sergiooo on 23 Jan 2016, 23:57)

Hi,

I had a problem with the flash memory of tl-wr702n V1 (burned). I need a copy of flash memory (2MB) to leave the equipment running.
One would provide a copy for me to download?
Can you help me?

Regards,

(Last edited by danilorcesar on 29 Jan 2016, 00:12)

Hi guys,
Have same problem now as some of the last few posters - my new WR-702n came with Chinese language, firmware -    
5.3.2 Build 140818 Rel.37254n, so no way to flash older firmware and no box for input of TFTP32.
http://puu.sh/oJwHf/e0ec37f63f.png

All i want from it to have English language, maybe some of you expert guys can come up with a solution?

Thanks in advance - sorry for trying resurrect an old post, but its still relevant.

T.

jvvh5897 wrote:

I know this is an older thread, but I recently bought a WR702n thinking it was a 703 and too small a cost to not play with it. Don't see the option to browse for an update in the Chinese menu, and don't know if it is traditional or simplified Chinese--they say you can update the traditional menued 702 with english versions, so I'm guessing simplified box.
I took apart the latest english version v3 file, extracted the lzma compressed main code and found the string sent out the serial port when the md5 sum is not correct. Looking at the code around that area I found the 0x10 bytes of md5 copied from the 0x4 position of the file header then that space is overwritten with CC 96 28 EE 8D FB 21 BB 3D EF 6C B5 9F 77 4C 07 (hum, that last number looks wrong, but the first four should find the correct sequence). There is a routine that , skipping the first byte, looks for 0x00 value and adds 2 to the location found and subtracts that from the value in the first word of the header--that seems to be number of bytes the md5 covers--looks to me that would be 0x142fc0-0x23 bytes. Now, it gets harder and I haven't figured it all out. Looks like md5 is computed and stored, but then a second routine is called and it does some calls to the md5 routine too--two times, with some other stuff done as well. Might need to emulate the code or run it on some other mips based device to see what is really happening. Whatever that extra stuff is, once it is all done there is just a mem compare step and based on that result either error message sent out serial port or header removed and file written to flash.

decompressing TL-WA5210G firmware i can find this same string CC 96 28 EE 8D FB 21 BB 3D EF 6C B5 9F 77 4C 7C in unpacked file but replacing actual md5 string with this one and recalculating md5sum gives md5 other than original and the device won't accept modified firmware.

anyone knows how to update md5 correctly for this firmware?

Stagefever wrote:

Hi guys,
Have same problem now as some of the last few posters - my new WR-702n came with Chinese language, firmware -    
5.3.2 Build 140818 Rel.37254n, so no way to flash older firmware and no box for input of TFTP32.

All i want from it to have English language, maybe some of you expert guys can come up with a solution?

Thanks in advance - sorry for trying resurrect an old post, but its still relevant.

T.

i have the same prolbem, i try to download the old version firmware from CN SITE, but it can not download to the old version 20130415, i try any other version of tftp software, still can not find the route to flash in...

US latest firmware don't allow to downgrade, the different is 0x2c, newer is 01, older is 00, I successful down the firmware by change this.

The discussion might have continued from here.