OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT in repeater mode using MR3040 router

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I have MR3040 with OpenWRT running on it. I would like to make it into repeater mode.

I was watching a video, and it said I just need to set the SSID of OpenWRT to be the same as the wireless network that I want to repeat. I guess I also need to give OpenWRT the password of that other wireless network also.

Has anybody ever tried this? Can you give me the "Wireless" and "network" configuration files in order to get it to work?

Thanks
rough

I don't have access to config files at the moment.  I will post if nobody else does in the mean time.

A couple of things to consider though.

If you don't have access to the configuration of the router you wish to repeat and it does not support WDS, you will have to set your repeater up as a routed client. http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/routedclient   That means your repeater clients will have to be on a different subnet than the original AP.

With WDS http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/clien … ion.system you can bridge the client wireless to the repeater AP and any of the other interfaces on the device.  The downside is that your bandwidth is divided in half.

nobody has posted it, so could you please post the configs

thanks very much

rough

I read somewhere that madwifi on Openwrt can do AP + STA at the same time, do you know if this is true?

is AP+STA at the same time = repeater mode?

Basically I just want to do this:

laptop wifi <--------> wifi openWRT (mr3040) Wifi <---------> wifi home router LAN <-------wired internet ------> internet
                                          |
                                          |
                                          |
computer 2 <---wired--LAN--

Basically I need to connect my laptop to the internet, through OpenWRT wifi, which is  connected wirelessly to my home router
which is connected to the internet.

also I need to access some wired LAN computer that is connected to the OpenWRT MR3040 box from my laptop

can I use bridge mode, or some other simple mode in OpenWRT to accomplish this?

thanks
rough

You can, and it's pretty easy to do via the web config too.

First, go to Network->Wifi and remove the existing configurations. Click "Scan" and add an AP to connect to as you would normally (your wireless home router).

Once that's connected and working, go back to Network->Wifi and click Add. Type in whatever ESSID you want, configure security settings, etc... Make sure the mode is set to "Access Point", and connect it to your lan network.

Just tested this on my own setup, and everything works as expected. MR3040 is connected to another wireless access point, and is serving internet to my laptop over ethernet and my phone via it's own wifi broadcast. Hope this helps.

wiregr and others

I still got problems with this setup and have spent hours today to get my TP WR1043NR V2 working as a 2nd AP or repeater / bridge. As I read above there are big differences between working as repeater or bridge...

Anyway I followed wiregr short tips and still can't access internet via laptop-LAN-OpenWRT  ...DSL-ROUTER...Internet.

The main issue I see is that I think I can not! use the same subnet for the lan interface (I think it is meant the static IP adress of the openWRT) as I use for my internet AP.

is that right?

And is it fine to stop and turn off firewall via the services menu (Luci).
Where exactly is DCHP to be turned off?

I want that the main AP (the one accessing the internet) is giving IPs via DHCP. So these need to slip through the openWRT.

PS:
I firmwared today for the 1st time openWrt. I use a TP Link WR1043ND V2.

Pedalracer - did you ever get this to work?  I am using 2 MR3040's which I do not need to connect to the internet. I am using them to use are product which can control 2 DSLR cameras.  The program (qDSLRDASHBOARD) runs on my iPad and as long as I connect to the first router (address 192.168.1.1) it can control the camera connected to the routers USB port.  I added a second MR3340 the same way to my second router.  However - I need the second router to be a Repeater of the first router so the program sees the second camera.
I can connect to both on an individual basis - if I disconnect the iPad from the first router (network), and connect it to the second router (network).
Ideally this should work if the second router was truly a repeater of the 1st.  Did you get this figured out yet, or does anyone else on here know how to do this?

Its easy. The lan setup on the repeater:
1, set manual IP (192.168.1.2 if the ip of the repeated device is 192.168.1.1, set the same mask, gateway 192.168.1.1, dns 192.168.1.1 or google) and turn off dhcp server
2, search for the repeated network and add it as into lan
3, if the connentipn work add a new virtual ap into lan

The ssid and security setings are independent. You can setup the virtual ap independent on the repeated nerwork, only the chanel must be the same. The real name for a wifi repeater is jammer.

(Last edited by cejny on 22 Feb 2015, 20:20)

The discussion might have continued from here.