OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: would like to donate Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500 or setup build environ

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I just purchased a Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500 router and have quickly discovered the horror stories about the stock Netgear firmware are true. Having been a long time user of OpenWrt, I already miss it dearly after just a single day. So I'm interested in either donating the router to a reputable developer who would be committed to getting a build of Barrier Breaker going on it, or to setup a build environment that would allow me to do the same.

I see that there is already a build of Attitude Adjustment for it over at myopenrouter.com, though it apparently doesn't work with the 5ghz band nor does it support any external packages. It does run a Qualcomm Atheros CPU and a secondary Quantenna CPU. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

According to wikidevi ( https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R7500 )

The wifi chip is QT3840BC from Quantenna.
I cannot find any Linux Kernel Support for that chips.
I looked at linux-wireless mailing list and the Kernel git tree (torvalds/linux.git).

This router might be supported by OpenWrt BUT without AC wireless for the near future.

(Last edited by zloop on 15 Feb 2015, 00:18)

Hi
the AA version does work with 5GHz and a few people are currently attempting to compile packages for it. I used it for over a month on mine before the lack of packages forced me back to Gargoyle on my WDR4300. I would love to get a full AA or BB version running on my R7500.

The discussion might have continued from here.