OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Make image fails

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

from which directory am I supposed to run the 'make info' and 'make image' commands? When I run them from the top level I get this:

ubuntu:/media/sf_source/openwrt$ make info V=s
make[1]: Entering directory `/media/sf_source/openwrt'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `info'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/sf_source/openwrt'
make: *** [info] Error 2
(Same for make image)

I had previously followed the instructions at http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build; - the only difference being that I cloned from git. Does git hold the same content as svn?

I managed to compile everything from the top level, resulting in .trx files under bin/. Now I want to create more specific images with 'make image PROFILE=..", but it fails.

Any ideas?

tnx

It seems you are mixing Image Generator and OpenWrt Buildroot.

Image Generator has "make image"
see http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/obtai … e.generate

Image Generator: "repack" Router images with ipkg from feeds (binaries)

OpenWrt Buildroot: generate images from source code

Ok, thanks.
So what is the buildroot equvalent to
>  make image PROFILE=XXX PACKAGES="pkg1 pkg2 pkg3 -pkg4 -pkg5 -pkg6" FILES=files/

I would like to include a couple of modules (ipk?) and potentially other files into the install image (.trx?). Do I do this by adding to the Makefile in target/linux/<platform> or is there a way to add .ipk files to a .trx file after they are already built?

Is there a way to list the content of existing .txr files?

(Last edited by danielcra on 16 Feb 2015, 16:20)

- files/ content should be automatically integrated
- you select profiles and packages via menuconfig
- changes are written to a .config file (that you can create with a script too)
CONFIG_PACKAGE_packagename=y and CONFIG_TARGET_ar71xx_generic_profilename=y (+ 2 other symbols with arch)

Then a completely new image will be created.

Is there a way to list the content of existing .txr files?

afaik there is no simple way - there is binwalk (or normal tools like dd if you know partition sizes etc.) that you can use

There is a backup function integrated in OpenWrt that can save config files. So you dont have to handle complete binary images.

Dont know how the image generator works with repacking the files - sorry.

The discussion might have continued from here.