OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: adding new board. Not found by menuconfig

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I have a board that is real similar to the fonera20n device. I cna boot and run an initramfs image based off a build for fonera20n, with some modifications. The router has no name, but the board is marked xdx-rn502j, so I want to add a new device under the ralink rt3052 platforms.

The steps I took: I modified (or added) the files

target/linux/ramips/files/arch/mips/ralink/rt305x/mach-xdx-rn502j.c
target/linux/ramips/files/arch/mips/ralink/rt305x/Kconfig
target/linux/ramips/files/arch/mips/ralink/rt305x/Makefile
target/linux/ramips/image/Makefile

now I was hoping that make kernel_menuconfig would show the new board definition and name in Machine Selection ->Ralink RT305x machine selection -> xdx-rn502j

but nothing... it also does not build the new c files.

Obviously there is some way to regenerate whatever files menuconfig uses, or need to add somewhere a definition of the new board, but I can't find it !

Any hints ? The wiki page about adding a new device is not useful, it gives an example that does not seem relevant to all platforms.

---- Update: seems make clean leads to the new options/board to be recognized in menuconfig. However, it shows my board as (NEW) the build keeps asking me if I want to use the target... do I really have to hit 'Y' all the time because it's a new target ? how can I disable this ? I don't know if the new files are builtm though. still going...

(Last edited by brainscrew on 12 Aug 2011, 20:22)

Hi ,

I think you should find out where is your "mk" file to add the new board description.

I guess it seems like this file : target/linux/ramips//rt305x/target.mk

#
  # Copyright (C) 2009 OpenWrt.org
  #

SUBTARGET:=rt305x
   BOARDNAME:=RT3x5x/RT5350 based boards
   ARCH_PACKAGES:=ramips_24kec
   FEATURES+=usb
   CPU_TYPE:=24kec
  CPU_SUBTYPE:=dsp

DEFAULT_PACKAGES += kmod-rt2800-soc

define Target/Description
          Build firmware images for Ralink RT3x5x/RT5350 based boards.
  endef

The discussion might have continued from here.