OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Banana Pi Router (BPI-R1) - will be the perfect OpenWRT router

The content of this topic has been archived on 10 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I particularly like seeing UART2 there on a router (not to mention UART3 and UART7).  I assume TWI2-SDA and TWI2-SCK are I2C, which is also nice.  Lots of possibilities for use as a small computer with routing capabilities under openwrt.

I was hoping it has a support for USB3. sad

I would prefer ath9k PCI wifi

Neat idea, but wifi over USB kills it IMO. I guess you could add a regular access point to this

Does OpenWRT support Banana Pi Router (BPI-R1)?

This looks like perfect OpenWrt router! I have heard that it can get blazing fast speeds, especially with OpenVPN, nothing in this price range comes close to this performance.... over 300Mbps  while EdgeRouter Lite struggles to get over 120 Mbps.

I have found problems with all images that I tested (including my own).

These problems happen only on OpenWrt (15.05).  I did not test other OSes very much.  I believe these problems don't happen on other OSes.

1. The vlan switch stops forwarding packets between ports after a (short) period after boot. Switching between CPU and ports works ok, though.
2. Wireless (with WPA) has unexplained packet latency *after a period of inactivity*.  It eventually drops out completely *after a period of inactivity* (meanwhile, connected devices think they are still connected, but there is 100% packet loss).  If there is constant activity, there is no loss of connectivity.

From what I read on the forums, lots of people have similar sounding problems.

The severity of these problems increases with uptime.  Eventually, I just have to reboot the device because of so much glitching.

A possibly unrelated problem is the kernel seems to have some kind of bug.  It refuses to load too many modules, complaining about not having enough memory.

I have been trying to get Sinovoip to fix these problems with OpenWrt images (and in the OpenWrt source) for 1 year!!  They keep promising they will check with their engineer but they have not done anything to fix these problems.  I am not happy at all with their support.

I have had 6 of BPI-R1 devices which I bought from 2 different sources.  ALL OF THEM have these problems.  It is very easily reproducible.

(Last edited by al3x on 9 Jun 2016, 04:48)

The discussion might have continued from here.