OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: airmusic NW11 - AR9331/32M RAM/8M Flash/Audio Codec

The content of this topic has been archived between 28 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Simp wrote:

I bought this cheap airplay/dlna streamer on ebay. It works great but the web-interface is a bit sparse to say the least and there's no way to turn off the wifi-bridge functionality. (since I don't connect directly to the airmusic device I don't want it broadcasting)

Thanks to the root password I managed to telnet in and turn off the access point wlan with ""ifconfig wlan0 down".
But how to make this permanent? It turns back on after a reboot.

Thanks for any assistance.

You can edit the wireless configuration to make it permanent.

edit the /etc/config/wireless file

add " option 'disabled' '1' " to the wifi-iface section with the soundmate ssid

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio0'
        option 'network' 'lan'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'encryption' 'none'
        option 'wds' '1'
        option 'ssid' 'soundmate_351C'
        option 'disabled' '1'

then restart the network via "init.d/network restart"

(Last edited by bolbers on 5 Nov 2014, 20:22)

pi314 wrote:

Hi all,
sorry for the huge bump, but I've got a NW11 device and flashed a wrong firmware (meant for M1 and not NW11) through the web interface. I've tried flashing (through the web interface) the airmusic root reset firmware given by rockee, but to no avail.
I can't find a basic official firmware for the device to revert back to.
Does anyone have a binary I can use ? I'd really like to stay on the web interface as my uboot classes are far and I'd rather not open up the device to solder cables to it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi pi314, I've just gone and done the same thing Doh!!!

Did you have any luck getting the original FW?

George

(Last edited by georgejames on 8 Nov 2014, 10:11)

No, I haven't. hmm

bolbers wrote:
Simp wrote:

I bought this cheap airplay/dlna streamer on ebay. It works great but the web-interface is a bit sparse to say the least and there's no way to turn off the wifi-bridge functionality. (since I don't connect directly to the airmusic device I don't want it broadcasting)

Thanks to the root password I managed to telnet in and turn off the access point wlan with ""ifconfig wlan0 down".
But how to make this permanent? It turns back on after a reboot.

Thanks for any assistance.

You can edit the wireless configuration to make it permanent.

edit the /etc/config/wireless file

add " option 'disabled' '1' " to the wifi-iface section with the soundmate ssid

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio0'
        option 'network' 'lan'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'encryption' 'none'
        option 'wds' '1'
        option 'ssid' 'soundmate_351C'
        option 'disabled' '1'

then restart the network via "init.d/network restart"

Thanks! Can confirm that it works even after a reboot smile

georgejames wrote:
pi314 wrote:

Hi all,
sorry for the huge bump, but I've got a NW11 device and flashed a wrong firmware (meant for M1 and not NW11) through the web interface. I've tried flashing (through the web interface) the airmusic root reset firmware given by rockee, but to no avail.
I can't find a basic official firmware for the device to revert back to.
Does anyone have a binary I can use ? I'd really like to stay on the web interface as my uboot classes are far and I'd rather not open up the device to solder cables to it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi pi314, I've just gone and done the same thing Doh!!!

Did you have any luck getting the original FW?

George

The same for me sad  did you find the original firmware? i am still searching sad

I did exactly the same thing mine arrived yesterday, you're a life saver thanks... my only real issue with the device is that I can hear static and pops when no music is playing

I can play my music through device now but I cannot access the devices built-in web page at 192.168.222.254? any ideas?

(Last edited by horvak on 15 Dec 2014, 20:56)

after a few resets I got the M1 firmware working but then it was really crackling and dropping out, I reverted back to the 1.04 and all is good but it took a few attempts by holding in the reset button at the back, letting it power down and reset.

I am happy to read that everything is ok smile

If you want to reach your airmusic device via 192.168.222.254 you have to connect your computer to its wifi network and THEN address the browser to 192.168.222.254.

Anyway, the only way to change firmware successfully is using an usb pen and following the pdf.

If anybody had a newer firmware then 1.0.0.4 it would be a great thing!

I'm writing to Chinese vendors trying to get an updated firmware (if one exists) however I am more than happy with the device now, I did have a static and popping when no sound was being played but I switched over to an Optical cable and it is now perfect. With regards to the IP, I think I had a bad flash before hence the web browser not coming up but everything under tho hood seemed fine, I think that holding down the reset button then allowing the firmware update was the trick here.

giobuc wrote:

Anyway, the only way to change firmware successfully is using an usb pen and following the pdf.

Which PDF? There's no PDF inside the firmware archive.

NW11 1.1.01 Official version released

(1)  When resolving the two digits after the MAC is FF, computer/mobile phone to see the MAC will be Fe bug;
(2)  Save network settings, upgrade without losing again;
(3)  Optimization of DLNA and AIRPLAY audio service;
(4)  Support for USB audio playback;
(5)  Support the DMS;
(6)  Support OTA upgrade;
(7)  modification and APP language inconsistency BUG;
(8)  Join the Forum in a WEB page address;
(9)  Optimize memory consumption.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kmd3llw3xyg8 … 9.bin?dl=0

@samaras:

(4) means that now the usb port can be used to plug a usb pendrive with audio files and playback these files using a airplay/dlna control point?

I bought the NW11 because of the possibility to play from USB. But it was not available in the original firmware. So I tried to install the SoundMate M1 firmware. I succeeded using the webinterface, but the quality of the airplay went down.

So I wanted to go back to the original firmware, but flashing through the webinterface was not possible anymore. I accessed the unit by as 'root' via telnet using the pasword "ifconfig" and managed to get the last NW11 1.1.01 firmware in the root folder using wget. But after sysupgrade the NW 11 was not available anymore via WIFI.

I saw instructions to use a serial cable, but there are too many instructions and messages to understand which option would be the best in my case. Can anyone point me to the correct instructions for this router?

Aldo.Dekker wrote:

I bought the NW11 because of the possibility to play from USB. But it was not available in the original firmware. So I tried to install the SoundMate M1 firmware. I succeeded using the webinterface, but the quality of the airplay went down.

With the Soundmate firmware you were able to play audio files stored in a usb pendrive connected to the usb port?

No using the Soundmate M1 firmware I was not able to play audio files stored in the USB pendrive connected to the USB port. But although I was able to install the Soundmate M1 firmware, when using airplay from my Ipad there was more inconsistencies in the sound, like the processor was not able to process the sound as quickly as was needed. But after installing the Soundmate M1 firmware I was not able to change the firmware anymore. The moment I tried to upload another file (using the web interface), I got the message that the firmware was incorrect. I tried it via the telnet connection but that went wrong and I bricked the Airmusic device.

How to upgrade firmware from pen drive

Wireless    Music/Audio    Streaming    Adapter    Upgrade    Method
Notice:
-  Do    not    power    off    during    upgrading    .
-  Upgrading    takes    around    200s.
-  After    upgrading    successfully    ,plug    off    USB    to    avoid    repeated    upgrading.
-  File    must    be    named    $$update$$,and    put    into    root    directory
-  WIFI    light    will    be    off    after    upgrading
Upgrading    by    USB
1.  Copy    file    $$update$$         to    root    directory   
2.  Plug    in    USB    pen    to    USBport   
3.  After    power    on    ,waiting    around    20s,WIFI    will    blink    ,after    3    mins,    keep    power    on    till    wifi   
light    be    off    .
4.  Plug    off    USB    pen    ,power    on    ,enter    console:192.168.222.254    to    check    the    FM    version    .

when I upgraded firmware MW11, power lost . Try update from pen drive again but no luck.
console log :
U-Boot 1.1.5 (Nov  8 2013 - 15:17:08)
hornet>

AP121 (ar9330) U-boot

DRAM:  32 MB
led turning on for 1s...
id read 0x100000ff
flash size 8388608, sector count = 128
Flash:  8 MB
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   ag7240_enet_initialize...
No valid address in Flash. Using fixed address
No valid address in Flash. Using fixed address
: cfg1 0xf cfg2 0x7114
eth0: 00:03:7f:09:0b:ad
ag7240_phy_setup
eth0 up
: cfg1 0xf cfg2 0x7214
eth1: 00:03:7f:09:0b:ad
ag7240_phy_setup
eth1 up
eth0, eth1
Autobooting in 1 seconds
## Booting image at 9f020000 ...
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... Not enough buffer for decompression
LZMA ERROR 1 - must RESET board to recover
Failed to execute bootcmd, starting httpd to update firmware...
eth0 link down
eth1 link down
starting httpd server from server 192.168.222.6
http start

But no wifi connection so I cant update firmware. My Airmusic totally bricked.  Need help

My airmusic is also bricked. I bought a PL2303 cable and connected the Airmusic with my computer. Using putty or hyperterminal I was able to see the booting, but it took me a day to find the command to get in to the u-boot shell. I tried every option I could find on the internet for more than a day. Finally I only typed "n" during boot and then I got the shell.

Using help I could get the basic information

hornet> ?

?       - alias for 'help'
bootm   - boot application image from memory
cp      - memory copy
erase   - erase FLASH memory
help    - print online help
httpd    - start webserver
md      - memory display
mm      - memory modify (auto-incrementing)
mtest   - simple RAM test
mw      - memory write (fill)
nm      - memory modify (constant address)
printenv- print environment variables
progmac - Set ethernet MAC addresses
reset   - Perform RESET of the CPU
setenv  - set environment variables
tftpboot- boot image via network using TFTP protocol
version - print monitor version
hornet> version

hornet> printenv

bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 root=31:02 rootfstype=squashfs init=/sbin/init mtdparts=ar7240-nor0:128k(u-boot),1024k(kernel),6912(rootfs),64k(config),64k(ART)
bootcmd=bootm 0x9f020000
bootdelay=1
baudrate=115200
ethaddr=0xba:0xbe:0xfa:0xce:0x07:0x41
ipaddr=192.168.222.6
serverip=192.168.222.10
ram_addr=0x80060000
kernel_addr=0x9f020000
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
ethact=eth0

Environment size: 391/65532 bytes

But I haven't found how I can upload the new firmware through the serial line (as the device doesn't have a ethernet connection). The commands 'loads' and 'loadb' do not work, so transfer using serial line is not possible as far as I understand.

But anyone with a suggestion is welcome, I will try more.

I think I found a solution. A python script that can use mw within the u-boot software. There are a few pages. https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=54269. In essence one opens the router with a screen command, kills the screen, but the router is already connected. Then you run a python script that just copies all the bytes to the router. And finally you copy the data to you flash memory.

My computer is still copying, I will update this when I'm finished.

I did not tell before but the copying was performed using Ubuntu 12.04, and I copied the firmware 1.1 version provided above.
After copying the system asked to check the firmware with a crc32 command. However the bootmanager shell did not support this command so I continued with

erase 0x9f020000 +0x7c0000
cp.b 0x80060000 0x9020000 0x7c0000
bootm 0x9020000

the last readable output in the screen was:

console [ttyATH0] enabled, bootconsole disabled
console [ttyATH0] enabled, bootconsole disabled
Atheros AR71xx SPI Controller driver version 0.2.4
m25p80 spi0.0: found s25fl064k, expected m25p80
m25p80 spi0.0: s25fl064k (8192 Kbytes)
Searching for RedBoot partition table in spi0.0 at offset 0x7fe000
Searching for RedBoot partition table in spi0.0 at offset 0x7ff000
No RedBoot partition table detected in spi0.0
spi0.0: no WRT160NL signature found
Creating 5 MTD partitions on "spi0.0":
0x000000000000-0x000000020000 : "u-boot"
0x000000020000-0x000000120000 : "kernel"
0x000000120000-0x0000007f0000 : "rootfs"
mtd: partition "rootfs" set to be root filesystem
split_squashfs: no squashfs found in "spi0.0"
0x0000007f0000-0x000000800000 : "art"
0x000000020000-0x0000007f0000 : "firmware"
ag71xx_mdio: probed
eth0: Atheros AG71xx at 0xb9000000, irq 4
TCP westwood registered
NET: Registered protocol family 17
802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8 Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
All bugs added by David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>
JFFS2 notice: (1) jffs2_build_xattr_subsystem: complete building xattr subsystem, 0 of xdatum (0 unchecked, 0 orphan) and 0 of xref (0 dead, 0 orphan) found.
VFS: Mounted root (jffs2 filesystem) readonly on device 31:2.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 180k freed
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance.

It seems to end with errors. But I will start the router anyway, what can I do ........

And I'm sorry the firmware was not compatible or not copied correctly because I now have a different error.

Autobooting in 1 seconds
## Booting image at 9f020000 ...
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... Stream with EOS marker is not supportedLZMA ERROR 1 - must RESET board to recover
Failed to execute bootcmd, starting httpd to update firmware...
eth0 link down
eth1 link down
starting httpd server from server 192.168.222.6
http start

But I can do the whole procedure again with the firmware provided in the first message.

I keep you updated.

rockee wrote:

@Heffer
Thanks for your point out TX,RX,GND
I have reset root  password in failsafe mode smile

I put root-password-reset-firmware to
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyo7x1xi3hw7e … bin.tar.gz
the new root password is 'admin'

Hai, I used your firmware but noticed it is bigger than then normal version. Is this a problem?

To update on my progress of the work on 2 January. I made a mistake in the copying address as you can read in my previous post. I did it again and now the unit starts. But it seems that I damaged my ART file in the process because I get an error message during boot.

ath: phy0: Unable to initialize hardware; initialization status: -5
ath9k ar933x_wmac: failed to initialize device
ath9k: probe of ar933x_wmac failed with error -5

So now I need an ART file to repair the unit. Can anyone send me a copy of his ART file? In the post http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/restore_art_partition they give instructions how you can make a dump of the art file.

I hope someone can help me.

Isn't the ART partition specifically tuned for every single device? I think it holds calibration data... don't you still have the original chip so that you could read it from there?