OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Open Wrt development on the recent routers

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi openWrt developers and all openWrt enthusiasts,

This is a question addressed to the developers of OpenWrt project. I see now that the last version of openWrt is barrier_breaker 14.07 rc3.
I was looking to the hardware database http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start#asus and I did not find there the model from Asus RT-N18U with a chipset Broadcom BCM47081 and saw that it is not supported yet.

I want to ask if openWrt is in active or is intended for future development for this type of hardware platform. I also saw that dd-wrt and tomato have already this kind of support and I am little surprised that openWrt is not ready yet for this type of platforms.

I currently have an Asus Wl-500g Premium with OpenWrt - Kamikaze 7.09 and using it from more than 6 years without any problems. (except when the external power source of the main router was burned, 1-2 condensators burned, a known problem with this router model).
I want to upgrade now the router and want to use still open Wrt  on it and not other software. Because OpenWrt works great and the abundance of packages.

Can you please tell me if that would be possible and when it is probable to be done ?

Thank you in advance and many thanks for your efforts on this very nice and beautiful project.
BR,
youth4ever

OpenWrt's support for broadcom platforms will never be on-par with DD-Wrt or Tomato since we cannot rely on closed source drivers or vendor SDK code.

jow wrote:

OpenWrt's support for broadcom platforms will never be on-par with DD-Wrt or Tomato since we cannot rely on closed source drivers or vendor SDK code.

Hi Jow,

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean.
I know that in the past OpenWrt had support for the Broadcom platforms. Take for example the brcm2708                                         
brcm47xx and brcm63xx platforms which are supported by OpenWrt. Why can't be done for  BCM47081 too ?

Thanks in advance,
youth4ever

The discussion might have continued from here.