OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link Tl wa701nd/Tl wr740n/Tl wr741nd usb mod

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello!
I want to make an USB socket on my TP-LINK Tl wa701nd access point.
How can i use this kernel patch:??

--- a/files/arch/mips/ar71xx/Kconfig
+++ b/files/arch/mips/ar71xx/Kconfig
@@ -167,6 +167,7 @@
        select AR71XX_DEV_AP91_PCI if PCI
        select AR71XX_DEV_GPIO_BUTTONS
        select AR71XX_DEV_LEDS_GPIO
+       select AR71XX_DEV_USB
        default n

config AR71XX_MACH_TL_WR841N_V1
--- a/files/arch/mips/ar71xx/mach-tl-wr741nd.c
+++ b/files/arch/mips/ar71xx/mach-tl-wr741nd.c
@@ -20,6 +20,7 @@
#include "dev-ap91-pci.h"
#include "dev-gpio-buttons.h"
#include "dev-leds-gpio.h"
+#include "dev-usb.h"

#define TL_WR741ND_GPIO_LED_QSS                0
#define TL_WR741ND_GPIO_LED_SYSTEM     1
@@ -99,6 +100,8 @@
        u8 *mac = (u8 *) KSEG1ADDR(0x1f01fc00);
        u8 *ee = (u8 *) KSEG1ADDR(0x1fff1000);

+       ar71xx_add_device_usb();
+
        ar71xx_add_device_m25p80(&tl_wr741nd_flash_data);

ar71xx_add_device_leds_gpio(-1, ARRAY_SIZE(tl_wr741nd_leds_gpio),

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr741nd#usb.host

Please help me! Thank you!

First of all you need to learn how to use BuildRoot.
I advice you to build clean trunk first and make sure it's booting and working on your AP.

Then apply the patch. Since it is very small, you can do it by hand:
First, go to your trunk/target/linux/ar71xx/files/arch/mips/ar71xx/ directory.

Open Kconfig, find there:

config AR71XX_MACH_TL_WA901ND
        bool "TP-LINK TL-WA901ND support"
        select SOC_AR724X
        select AR71XX_DEV_M25P80

And put "select AR71XX_DEV_USB" at the end of this block.

Then open file mach-tl-wa901nd.c, find there "ar71xx_add_device_eth(1);" and put "ar71xx_add_device_usb();" after it.
After this just recompile sources:

make dirclean
make

Denis

p.s. maybe you speak russian?

(Last edited by Foks on 8 Jan 2012, 21:42)

Just for completeness, "make target/linux/clean world" is enough, no need to take out the dirclean hammer.

Guys anyone can help with version 4.3 of TL WR740N ? The board is different than previous versions of Tl wr740n/Tl wr741nd, so the previous usb mod doesnt work (given resistors number doesnt exist). If anyone know fix new version of WR740N please reply

(Last edited by abondek on 23 Jan 2012, 14:06)

Take a look at ar9331 to the lower left corner near C13. There's an unpopulated pin which could be D-. To the right of it, there's another pin hidden under the SoC which could be D+.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DOHWlSYXdnE/ToMOnk_iFkI/AAAAAAAABHM/AxCC117jGGI/s128/IMG_0209.JPG
by Sam Crawford

http://www.zhigao5191.com/usr/uploads/2011/12/3117671812.jpg

fyi can you please circle/mark the palces on that image you're thinking about

Is anyone know what resistance nad voltage should be between D(-) >GND, D(+)>GDN, D(-)>D(+) ?

Hey, pay more attention, will you?

Look at the second picture. The vertical "ATHEROS(R)" had told you which part of the SoC to look at. Above it there's vertical "C13". Now focus on the edge of the SoC and the printed circuits.

/ /////
|  |||||
o o|o|o|o_______
 ^^             \
 ||             |
 DD             |
 +-             |

I never test it. Don't blame me if you ruin it.

BTW, these pictures represent the OLD ar9331 where only half of the pins can be seen. The other half are hidden under the SoC. The NEW ar9331 has revealed all the pins.

Hi, sorry I wasn't able to see second pic, that's why I ask for more details.

Anyway I've checked today my router and one thing I discovered are two pins which have very similar resistance like the one given here.
Simon94 post there that he's getting:
From D+ to D-: 30k?
From D-/D+ to GND: 15k?.

Those two pins I've checked are circled with red color on the image (bottom right relatively to ar9331 on photo):
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/img0209bz.jpg
I got following resistance:
From D+ to D-: ~32k?
From D-/D+ to GND: ~18k?.

I also checked on that image with black ellipse SoC pin mentioned by fyi (if i'm wrong please correct me)
If those black circled pins are the same with red circled the resistance should be the same. I've checked and it's not.

Anyway I've check resitance between different pins of SoC too, and after that router doesnt want to work, so probably I damage something hmm
I see only black screen on serial port session, so unfortunately I can't check my (red circled) or fyi (black ellipsed) usb mod hypothesis.

If someone has that router and want to test it could try, ofcourse don't blame me if something goes wrong. Just please post here any results.

PS. Anyone know what can be done next step to bring router to life? Ofcourse If SoC is damaged nothing will help but I dont know how to test it.

(Last edited by abondek on 26 Jan 2012, 14:24)

abondek wrote:

Hi, sorry I wasn't able to see second pic, that's why I ask for more details.

Find a http proxy server or read this thread through Google Translation.

abondek wrote:

Those two pins I've checked are circled with red color on the image (bottom right relatively to ar9331 on photo):
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/img0209bz.jpg
I got following resistance:
From D+ to D-: ~32k?
From D-/D+ to GND: ~18k?.

I also checked on that image with black ellipse SoC pin mentioned by fyi (if i'm wrong please correct me)
If those black circled pins are the same with red circled the resistance should be the same. I've checked and it's not.

From your photo only the left black circled pin is correct. The other pin is hidden between the two black circled pins.

I have a (Chinese version) 743n v2.  It is essentially the same as 740/741 v4 with USB port.  Openwrt compiled for 741nd works on the 743 v2 except for the USB.  I try to compile with the USB patch for 741 shown elsewhere.  However, the software structure appeared has changed.  Has anyone tried to compiled the USB version for modded 740/741 v4 yet with success?  If you do, I am interested in what types of patches you have used.  Thanks.

Let me ask the question in a different way.  I want to compile 740/741 with usb support.  Does anybody know what change I need to make in the current trunk build tree?  Specifically, one problem I have is that I cannot find trunk/target/linux/ar71xx/files/arch/mips/ar71xx/Kconfig.  The .../mips/ar71xx does not exist in the latest trunk.  There is only ath79 under .../mips/ but there is no Kconfig.  In this case where I put the "select AR71XX_DEV_USB" statement?

@twinclouds just download and install latest trunk for your tplink, after that install these packges, no patching is necessary AFAIK:

opkg install kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb2 kmod-usb-storage block-mount block-hotplug kmod-fs-ext4 kmod-fs-vfat kmod-nls-cp437 kmod-nls-iso8859-1

I need schematics for working wr741nd V2.x router with USB mod. Image on the wiki is just not clear enough, how to connect resistors?
We manageg to connect very thin wires to atheros chip but USB doesn't work, probably resitors are not connected properly sad

Any ideas?

I tried making USB work on WR703N WR1043ND which both have built in USB port, and I got them to work without any problems.

valentt wrote:

@twinclouds just download and install latest trunk for your tplink, after that install these packges, no patching is necessary AFAIK:

opkg install kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb2 kmod-usb-storage block-mount block-hotplug kmod-fs-ext4 kmod-fs-vfat kmod-nls-cp437 kmod-nls-iso8859-1

Are you sure the 740/741 v4 Openwrt already enabled the USB function even though the router does not have USB hardware supported?  The packages you showed are the packages if the Openwrt has USB function enabled.  If it is not, these will not do anything.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 17 May 2012, 04:10)

valentt wrote:

tried on latest trunk. Does not work! sad

If someone needs new kernel patch I have edited the HOWTO WR741ND

(Last edited by tornadox on 23 Aug 2012, 18:42)

tornadox wrote:
valentt wrote:

tried on latest trunk. Does not work! sad

If someone needs new kernel patch I have edited the HOWTO WR741ND

I checked the latest svn files.  Some of the necessary usb statements are not there.  However, I followed comments on patching (modify) the relevant files then compile it.  The firmware such generated works fine on my Chinese 743ND router.  (I put an 8M flash with 740ND uboot on it.)  Thanks to everybody's help.

For new trunks r3+ the patch is changed

for manual patching Kconfig cd into /trunk/build_dir/linux-ar71xx_generic/linux-3.3.8/arch/mips/ath79 and edit the wr741nd code. You may also edit for wr743nd

for WR740N v1 should I edit the file for 741N? I don't see file for 740N in this directory, only arget/linux/ar71xx/files/arch/mips/ath79/mach-tl-wr741nd.c

Hi,

I don't want to resurrect this topic, but I would like to know if we still have to recompile Barrier  Breaker, now that it has been officially released, to have USB host support in 740n/741nd v 2.x? I don't mind doing that, but that usually means I have to do my own builds of packages that I need and I would really prefer just to get what I need from the official repos. My main problem is the incompatibility with my kernel build and the official one, hence some kmod I would need later, would mean another rebuild for me. Most of the user space apps work OK though.

You have to recompile ....

good night
I tp link router UN Model v4.3 tl_wr741nd try atualizar the firware THROUGH THROUGH Of A descasrga page link para tp be accurate wr741nv4_en_3_17_0_up_boot ( 140410 ) .bin
the router does not finish the installation so Right Not Exactly Why eh reason already tried to put it in mode approves Fault But the lone Turn the router led Power The Others do not react at power alone router Turns led Power I would like Urgent Help and RECEIVE That 's Rauter not belong to me any of the Help That I can Give me That would be great agan Get my e hugoapontes93@gmail.com I have much knowledge about the topic of arranged 'm OpenWRT Learning But this paragraph Repair Those Who Can router and from now on those who are brick

The discussion might have continued from here.