OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Problem first time flashing Linksys E3000

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Thought I had read all the steps and cautions, but must have missed something and now I'm stuck.

I decided it was time I built a replacement for my ASUS WL-500G Premium V1 that is still running a _very_ old version of OpenWrt.  Happily, that system is still working fine.

This is a first time flash of OpenWrt onto a Linksys E3000 with OEM firmware.  I followed the OpenWrt support page for the E3000 (just updated in the last day) and downloaded the latest Barrier Breaker (trunk) image (openwrt-e3000_v1-squashfs.bin).  I tried installing it using the stock web interface as instructed.  When it got to about 80% complete, it suddenly jumped to complete.  I left it untouched for five minutes (well actually it was closer to ten while I went and got some tea ;-).

When I restarted and tried to get to the web interface on 192.168.1.1, it failed to connect, but I _was_ getting an IP assigned by DHCP to the new IP range.  After at least ten more minutes fiddling with various external tests like pinging the router, I tried things like gifing it a hard reset (30/30/30), but no luck.

Then I went back and worked on doing the update by TFTP using the linksys TFTP tool and finally got what appeared to be a successful transfer -- progress bar took about 10 seconds, if that, to complete.  I left it untouched for at least five minutes again before doing a hard reset and watched ping results until I got about ten successes.  When I tried getting to the web page, it still failed.  Again, I am getting an IP assigned by DHCP successfully (I tried a hardcoded IP of 192.168.1.10, too, but no help there.)  Simple power cycling of the router and additional hard resets didn't change anything, either.  It seems like the lights are on but nobody will answer the door.  After it has had time to boot up, the power light is steady and the lan port light will go on/off as I connect/disconnect my pc, but that's about it.

What did I do wrong/what do I do now to fix this?

Try to hold reset for 10 second and release. If you could, use serial console to monitor what is happening

The discussion might have continued from here.