OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: BB 14.07 RC1. Important packages like <nano> are missing!

The content of this topic has been archived on 26 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

The following are some of the packages that I use and are missing at the moment! As a result, BB 14.07 RC1 is useless for me!

And I don't think I'm the only one who needs these packages.

Please do something about it.

luci-app-ddns
luci-app-multiwan
luci-app-samba
luci-app-statistics
luci-app-upnp
luci-app-wol
luci-app-diag-devinfo
luci-app-tinyproxy
ncat-ssl
nmap-ssl
pciutils
aircrack-ng
lftp
nano
tftp-hpa
tftpd-hpa
minicom
scanlogd
php5
php5-cgi
perl
sdparm
freeradius*

(Last edited by angelos on 1 Aug 2014, 16:50)

Uncomment the oldpackages feed. Checkout all feeds, install the feeds and run menuconfig.

sed "/oldpackages/ s/# *//" feeds.conf.default > feeds.conf
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
make menuconfig

Then for e.g. nano: menuconfig / Utilities / Editors

Have fun :-)

(Last edited by written_direcon on 19 Jul 2014, 09:51)

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough...

I'm not trying to build a custom image.
I flashed the 14.07 RC1 image for my WBMR-HP-G300H.

Under http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_br … /packages/
most of the packages, are missing.

So... what's the case?

The best option is, to build always by yourself..

Building OpenWrt and the packages is not difficult at all and you have all options.. :-)

(Last edited by written_direcon on 19 Jul 2014, 10:03)

I know, I have done it quite a few times under Arch Linux...

I just don't understand how the devs are expecting us to do beta testing of an official Release,
when 3/4 of the packages are not build for that Release...

Anyway, I hope the next RC or the Final one, to include all the packages.

angelos wrote:

Anyway, I hope the next RC or the Final one, to include all the packages.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll wait for the next RC or more free time, whichever comes first smile

wget -qO - http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_breaker/14.07-rc1/lantiq/xway/packages/ | grep '<a href=' | wc -l
wget -qO - http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09/ar71xx/generic/packages/ | grep '<a href=' | wc -l

14.07 packages > 4000
12.09 packages > 3000

We are missing  75% of packages.

(Last edited by sonnyyu on 19 Jul 2014, 15:03)

Yeah, I know.
That's why I wrote "3/4".
Three of four packages are missing.

Edit:
A ticket was opened for the missing packages.
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/17179

(Last edited by angelos on 19 Jul 2014, 15:53)

Well, obviously RC1's packages are only built from the new packages feed. I believe this is completely intentional to get people to assume maintainership of packages and/or move them to the new feed. In fact it may the trunk build that is off, it actually shouldn't contain oldpackages either.

metai wrote:

I believe this is completely intentional to get people to assume maintainership of packages and/or move them to the new feed.

so basically a suicide.

imho this could have some sense in trunk, not in a RC release -.-

nebbia88 wrote:

so basically a suicide.

More like a wake-up call.

Also, this from the RC1 announcement:

For the final release we will still build the old packages feed

(Last edited by metai on 19 Jul 2014, 17:39)

Its not a suicide, more an aggressive attempt to free up developer resources. We're swamped with tickets and support requests for thousands of packages we have no ability to test or verify. Packages claimed by people are getting moved to github and will be maintained there.

Right now there are about 750 (source-)packages left in oldpackages which have not been taken care of. If no one steps up to maintain them they'll eventually not get built by OpenWrt.org anymore. The Makefiles etc. remain in the repository so people can continue building them privately or setup custom binary repos.

We also invested some effort to brush up the SDK which will be released along with BB - this will allow people to build binary compatible packages for this specific release.

The old packages will be built once more and made available for the final release, after that the repository will remain frozen and not receive any updates anymore.

Thanks for clearing this up, jow.

So how does one become maintainer for a (supposedly unmaintained) package? I searched quite a bit and came up empty.

Basically you clone https://github.com/openwrt/packages, import the package you'd like to maintain and make a pull request asking for inclusion. The new/moved package should be updated to its most recent release and contain no known vulnerabilities. It should build too of course smile

For the lazy and crazy ones like me: you can simply point opkg to the snapshot url and (try to) install the old packages (ones with a dependency on the kernel need to be forced because the kernel package version is slightly different).
This way I managed to install miniupnpd and 6to4 and they work properly.

Yeah, that can sometimes work but it isn't supported and could randomly break/kill/brick your router at any point.

Okay, I need to ask. Since today we have the RC2 build (although never announced in here or on the mailing list). And it lacks packages that have been moved to Github well over a month ago, let alone those that went on Github in the last days (which are quite a lot). What's going on there?

I'm also a bit confused as to what happens when a package just misses the release build date. Does that mean the release build will stay on the (frozen) oldpackage version of that package? Or will it be added to the packages feed retroactively?

(Last edited by metai on 30 Jul 2014, 00:58)

Please bear with us for a while longer, RC2 is not yet announced because the feeds are still building. We will do an announcement on the mailing list and in the news forum / openwrt.org frontpage when its done which should be today hopefully.

So we have BB 14.07 RC2...
There are 3596 packages under
http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_br … /packages/

We are still missing about 400 packages.

The good thing is that almost all packages from my first post, are included in RC2.

But still missing php and perl related packages (like php5, php5-cgi, perl).
Please include them too...

(Last edited by angelos on 31 Jul 2014, 17:41)

collectd-mod* packages are also missing from RC2.
As a result, luci-app-statistics cannot be installed.

root@OpenWrt:/# opkg install luci-app-statistics
Installing luci-app-statistics (svn-r10459-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_br … lantiq.ipk
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for luci-app-statistics:
*      collectd *      collectd-mod-rrdtool *  collectd-mod-iwinfo *   collectd-mod-interface *       collectd-mod-load *     collectd-mod-network *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-statistics.
root@OpenWrt:/#

Should I open a ticket?

(Last edited by angelos on 1 Aug 2014, 16:17)

What I don't understand is...

What will happen to the ~400 packages that are currently missing?

Will they be included in the next RC (if there is a RC3) or in the Final Release?

As far as I understand, they will be included once in the final release. Not in the RCs before, and not in the releases after -- unless, eventually, someone assumes maintainership and moves them to the new repository.

(Last edited by metai on 2 Aug 2014, 16:46)

Dear,

I would like to ask you, about hardware which you are using.
Few months ago i decided to bought this device from Chinese market 1037u
Is it the same ?

If yes, it`s sounds great, unfortunately i have never finished building correct image for my units.
So i decided to run ubuntu server, which is working for me as a router more then 6 month.

My question is, which option when you compiling image, is very important to successful compilation ?
Are you able to do screenshots with configuration ?

Thank you.

The discussion might have continued from here.