OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT module new tech startup

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Jun 2015 and 5 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Ubiquiti devices all the way [1] [2]. They're the hacker's choice!
Before I discovered Ubiquiti, the Linksys WRT54Gx series was my goto. The problem with them is that, as a given WRT54Gx line matures, they usually shave down the specs. You can see that in action with the WRT54GS series here [3], which debuted with 8MB of flash and now only sports 2MB. Good luck getting anything useful into 2MB.
The other problem with the WRT54Gx's is that there's quite a lot of hardware and architecture variation under the hood. You're usually fine, but I do have one WRT54G-RG at home here that wouldn't even take OpenWRT. It's running DD-WRT, which is a ghetto. (I see some other commenters here feel similarly).
Anyway the Ubiquiti PicoStation 2HP, by contrast, has
  - 8MB of flash
  - 32MB of RAM
  - a nice Atheros SoC which transmits at the legal max of 1000 mW
  - can easily be outfitted with high gain external antennas
  - works perfectly under OpenWRT, and
  - is competitively priced at $78 [4]
http://teambuildingactivitiesmelbourne. … fectively/

(Last edited by johnbaker on 3 Jul 2014, 01:05)

Hello,

We have been working hard lately and are now in the stage of allmost finished development board. We have made the hardware and have done a lot of work on the software. The board is fully controlled by a webserver written in C, not spawning any new processes for performance.

It works via a REST api and an HTML5 frontent. We are now finishing our work and perfecting the software. To achieve this we have set up a crowdfunding campaign:

http://igg.me/at/dptboard/x/8121818

You can of course help us by backing, if you don't want to back share it on your social media. It would be of great help to us and the more feedback we get the better we can make the software.

Kind regards,
Daan

The discussion might have continued from here.