OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

fcecamor wrote:
digitalgeek wrote:

Has anyone noticed any problems with ipv6... I was experiencing a lot of crash, and I would loose connectivity to only certain devices. After disabling ipv6, things seem more stable.

How did you disable ipv6?

IPv6 DHCP was turned off as it was conflicting with my server (Win server 2012r2) I also disable router advertisement, and unselected the Lan interface... So the service is still running, just not servicing any interfaces.

xpusostomos wrote:

Possibly, but it's crazy to advertise your product as open source compatible without sign off from legal and Marvell's legal.

We've been through this argument before.

Pretty much anything that doesn't block or otherwise prevent you replacing the firmware wit whatever you want may as well be called "open source compatible", even if the only thing you can do on it with open source is echo hello world to the console.

qasdfdsaq wrote:

Pretty much anything that doesn't block or otherwise prevent you replacing the firmware wit whatever you want may as well be called "open source compatible", even if the only thing you can do on it with open source is echo hello world to the console.

Even if the Wi-Fi it's broken or non function you can replace the firmware with any thing you want... Open source compatible....

How to flash from openwrt cli?

I've semi-bricked my router.  I flashed my own build, which was broken.  I would like to flash to factory firmware (or a working build) and start over.
uhttpd won't start normally, but I can start it manually and flash with the Web UI, it says it's working, then boots exactly the same firmware I was already running.
I can ssh to the router, and try flashing with sysupgrade, I get this:
root@wrt1900ac:/tmp# sysupgrade FW_WRT1900AC_1.1.7.160582_prod.img
Mamba check image
Saving config files...
Mamba preupgrade called...
umount: can't forcibly umount /overlay: Invalid argument
umount: can't forcibly umount /tmp/syscfg: Invalid argument
Sending TERM to remaining processes ... udhcpc dnsmasq uhttpd sleep sleep ubusd askfirst logd netifd odhcpd ntpd sensors
_monitor wan_monitor
Sending KILL to remaining processes ... sleep askfirst
Switching to ramdisk...
Performing system upgrade...
ash: /usr/sbin/fw_printenv: not found
ash: bad number
ash: bad number
ash: fw_setenv: not found
ash: fw_setenv: not found
Mamba do upgrade on kernel
ash: flash_erase: not found
ash: nandwrite: not found
Upgrade completed
Rebooting system...
.. and then it boots to the same firmware I was already running.

Does someone know a way to flash this from the command line that might work?  Since I can still boot openwrt I'm hoping I can avoid the serial connection route.  Thank you.

I recommend you purchase a $13.00 USB to TTL cable. This will give you the low level firmware control you need for development.

fluxsmith wrote:

How to flash from openwrt cli?

Try

upgrade-option:
    -d <delay>   add a delay before rebooting
    -f <config>  restore configuration from .tar.gz (file or url)
    -i           interactive mode
    -c           attempt to preserve all changed files in /etc/
    -n           do not save configuration over reflash
    -F | --force
                 Flash image even if image checks fail, this is dangerous!
    -q           less verbose
    -v           more verbose
    -h | --help  display this help

Chadster766 wrote:

I recommend you purchase a $13.00 USB to TTL cable. This will give you the low level firmware control you need for development.

Ya, the router brick's easily sad

Is this correct? from putty, and were should the *.img be on the pc?

Recovery from uboot

Marvell>> setenv firmware_name openwrt.img
Marvell>> setenv ipaddr 192.168.200.1
Marvell>> setenv serverip 192.168.200.20
Marvell>> run flash_pri_image
or
Marvell>> run flash_alt_image

Thx!

gufus wrote:

Is this correct? from putty, and were should the *.img be on the pc?

Recovery from uboot

Marvell>> setenv firmware_name openwrt.img
Marvell>> setenv ipaddr 192.168.200.1
Marvell>> setenv serverip 192.168.200.20
Marvell>> run flash_pri_image
or
Marvell>> run flash_alt_image

Thx!

Yes and the firmware image should be in your TFTP current directory.

An excellent TFTP server is at the below link and comes in both x32 and x64:
http://tftpd32.jounin.net

qasdfdsaq wrote:
xpusostomos wrote:

Possibly, but it's crazy to advertise your product as open source compatible without sign off from legal and Marvell's legal.

Even if its not technically completely false advertising, its clearly immoral and misleading, especially for a well-known company with a reuptation to uphold.

justniz wrote:

Even if its not technically completely false advertising, its clearly immoral and misleading, especially for a well-known company with a reuptation to uphold.

FFS don't derail this thread with more of that OT shit, the reasons how/why it may have happened have been discussed in detail many times, this is NOT the thread for that.

(Last edited by jalyst on 25 Jun 2014, 01:56)

Does anyone know if the wireless chipset in this box can support ad-hoc?
I'm looking to replace the WDR4300s that I use in my 802.11s/OLSR mesh solution, and this unit may be an option.

thanks

Chadster766 wrote:

An excellent TFTP server is at the below link and comes in both x32 and x64:
http://tftpd32.jounin.net

Thx again eh!

justniz wrote:
qasdfdsaq wrote:
xpusostomos wrote:

Belkin? Reputation? Lol.

rosswakelin wrote:

Does anyone know if the wireless chipset in this box can support ad-hoc?
I'm looking to replace the WDR4300s that I use in my 802.11s/OLSR mesh solution, and this unit may be an option.

thanks

In 2.4Ghz, yes. In 5Ghz, yes, but not sure about in AC mode. Not sure if ad-hoc mode still actually exists in 802.11ac. Whether the chipset supports it though is less important than if the driver supports it. And we can barely get a driver that works at all right now, let alone having special features...

Regardless, 802.11s does not use ad-hoc.

(Last edited by qasdfdsaq on 25 Jun 2014, 17:55)

Ad blocking with the WRT1900AC

this (which gives the possibility to add some custom hosts in either /etc/hosts or /mnt/sda1/hosts)

dl_hosts.sh

---- cut here
#!/bin/sh

export DLHOSTS=/tmp/dlhosts_log
echo "" > $DLHOSTS
_rogue=0.0.0.0
echo -e "#!/bin/sh\nn=1\nwhile sleep 60\ndo\n\twget -q -O - http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt | grep \"^0.0.0.0\" | grep -v localhost | awk '{print \"$_rogue\\\t\"\$2}' | tr -d '\\\015' >/tmp/dlhosts\n" >/tmp/write_dlhosts
echo -e "\t[ \`grep -il doubleclick /tmp/dlhosts\` ] && break\n\t[ \$n -gt 5 ] && break\n\tlet n+=1\ndone\n[ -e /mnt/sda1/hosts ] && cat /mnt/sda1/hosts >>/tmp/dlhosts\n[ -e /etc/hosts ] && cat /etc/hosts >>/tmp/dlhosts\nkillall -HUP dnsmasq" >>/tmp/write_dlhosts
chmod +x /tmp/write_dlhosts
/tmp/write_dlhosts &
echo "Done!" >> $DLHOSTS
---- cut here

notes:

Put dl_hosts.sh in /tmp
From web UI add,  network > DHCP and DNS > Resolv and Hosts file > Additional Hosts files /tmp/dlhosts
Run /tmp/dl_hosts.sh from your startup

tested with Attitude Adjustment 12.09.1, REVISION r38260

Enjoy!

gufus wrote:

this (which gives the possibility to add some custom hosts in either /etc/hosts or /mnt/sda1/hosts)

dl_hosts.sh

---- cut here
#!/bin/sh

echo "" > $DLHOSTS
_rogue=0.0.0.0
echo -e "#!/bin/sh\nn=1\nwhile sleep 60\ndo\n\twget -q -O - http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt | grep \"^0.0.0.0\" | grep -v localhost | awk '{print \"$_rogue\\\t\"\$2}' | tr -d '\\\015' >/tmp/dlhosts\n" >/tmp/write_dlhosts
echo -e "\t[ \`grep -il doubleclick /tmp/dlhosts\` ] && break\n\t[ \$n -gt 5 ] && break\n\tlet n+=1\ndone\n[ -e /mnt/sda1/hosts ] && cat /mnt/sda1/hosts >>/tmp/dlhosts\n[ -e /etc/hosts ] && cat /etc/hosts >>/tmp/dlhosts\nkillall -HUP dnsmasq" >>/tmp/write_dlhosts
/tmp/write_dlhosts &
echo "Done!" >> $DLHOSTS
---- cut here

notes:

Put dl_hosts.sh in /tmp
From web UI add,  network > DHCP and DNS > Resolv and Hosts file > Additional Hosts files /tmp/dlhosts

Enjoy!

Very interesting thanks smile

Chadster766 wrote:
gufus wrote:

dl_hosts.sh

---- cut here
#!/bin/sh

echo "" > $DLHOSTS
_rogue=0.0.0.0
/tmp/write_dlhosts &
echo "Done!" >> $DLHOSTS
---- cut here

notes:

Put dl_hosts.sh in /tmp

Enjoy!

Very interesting thanks smile

Welcome smile

My cron job too, runs once a day ...  12:05am

5 0 * * * /tmp/dl_hosts.sh

(Last edited by gufus on 26 Jun 2014, 23:31)

I've been running nyt's AA build (now heavily customized) without issues for a couple of days now-- both with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Seems solid enough that I'm now switching everything over.

jklap wrote:

I've been running nyt's AA build (now heavily customized) without issues for a couple of days now-- both with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Are you running AA or BB?

dstruktNine wrote:
jklap wrote:

... first thing he said was AA

nyt wrote:
dstruktNine wrote:
jklap wrote:

... first thing he said was AA

LOL looks like I missed that!

Any updates on the progress?

Yeah, any update?  And is there a way we can help? What about making a donation specifically for the WRT1900AC support?