OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT Backfire + USB scanner

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have a TP-Link TL-WR-1043ND which has the latest Backfire (10.03.1-rc4) and a Epson TX200 multifunctional printer. I could use the printer, with p910nd package, which ran smoothly. But I couldn't use the scanner.

So, I installed sane-libs, sane-backends, sane-frontends and xinetd. All configuration was done in sane, but there wasn't any sane-find-scanner tool. I tried to find any kmod-usb-scanner, but no success. Scanimage -L doesn't find any devices, and I tried saned -d128,.

I can print with it, and lsusb show this line: Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04b8:0849 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus SX205.

My dmesg said this to me:

----8<--------------
ath_rate_minstrel: Minstrel automatic rate control algorithm 1.2 (trunk)
ath_rate_minstrel: look around rate set to 10%
ath_rate_minstrel: EWMA rolloff level set to 75%
ath_rate_minstrel: max segment size in the mrr set to 6000 us
ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 4 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04B8 pid 0x0849
usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 4
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
usb-storage: device found at 5
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev
generic-usb 0003:051D:0002.0001: hiddev96: USB HID v1.10 Device [American Power Conversion Back-UPS ES 600 FW:820.x1d.D USB FW:x1d] on usb-ar71xx-ehci-1.1/input0
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
usbhid: v2.6:USB HID core driver
---------->8------

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo.

Curious, did you find anything on this?  I had a long post about getting this to work in White Russian, and found a post that someone else made it work with the 2.6 kernel.  Maybe need to find a backported "kmod-usb-scanner" package?

I could configure xinetd and all the USB drivers, so now I can use my USB scanner with my wifi router, and it wasn't that dificult... It wasn't necesarry to have a kmod-usb-scanner package, for example.

You were?  I don't seem to see a driver loading for my scanner in dmesg.  Is there some package in the place of kmod-usb-scanner?  If I do "dmesg | grep scanner" I get nothing.  AT least I know I can keep trying!  I was convinced I needed the scanner driver package.

what did you do beyond your first post to get it working, can you remember the details?

thanks

Forget it, I just made sure all the usb packages were installed, now its working.  Thanks!

sm_kemp wrote:

Forget it, I just made sure all the usb packages were installed, now its working.  Thanks!

Which packages you installed to get scanner work?

Pilot6 wrote:
sm_kemp wrote:

Running Backfire 10.03.  Just followed http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/p910nd.server (so for me it looks like ohci, ehci (usb 2.0), usblp, all the sane packages and hplip which installs cups - tried to remove cups but scanner stopped working so just kept but does not need to run), and scanimage works pretty well but interestingly, after scanning, can't print with p910nd.  Have to reboot, then can print to p910nd.  Conversely, printing to p910nd does not affect scanimage.

@oddballhero, I just hit your problem. I already opened a bug report in openwrt that might interest you:

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/16770#ticket

For network usage of sane, I created a workaround that uses a script to wrap saned call from xinetd.

#!/bin/sh
#
# When a SANE scanning occurs, /dev/usb/lp0 is lost.
# Reload usblp after the scanjob is finished in order to
# recreate /dev/usb/lp0 
#
/usr/sbin/saned "$@"

rmmod usblp
insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/usblp.ko

It could also be used for scanimage (if you need to run it inside the router, in a cgi page for example).

oddballhero wrote:
Pilot6 wrote:
sm_kemp wrote:

Running Backfire 10.03.  Just followed http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/p910nd.server (so for me it looks like ohci, ehci (usb 2.0), usblp, all the sane packages and hplip which installs cups - tried to remove cups but scanner stopped working so just kept but does not need to run), and scanimage works pretty well but interestingly, after scanning, can't print with p910nd.  Have to reboot, then can print to p910nd.  Conversely, printing to p910nd does not affect scanimage.

Just to inform that BB does not looses lp0 on scanning anymore.
One can scan and print in any order without issues.

The discussion might have continued from here.