OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WNDRv4 fit for openwrt - english

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 2 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hello,
First of all, sorry for my bad english... (frenches have the reputation of bad english speaking ^^)

My config :
WNDR3700v4
OpenWRT Barrier Baker posted by rpsoft, post #88 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pzzw8zuzdqts … actory.img

Here I post to up a bug : in theory, maximum number of VLAN i can create is 4095 (cf RFC). In my case, if I create a VLAN ID egal or superior to 127, the router does not respond of any requests (ARP, etc...), impossible to communicate with the unit, and i have to use failsafe procedure to debug via telnet 192.168.1.1...

1 example :
First case (VLAN ID = 128) :
Main PC (eth0.128 ; 192.168.1.2) ------> unit (eth0.128 ; 192.168.1.1) => NOT OK, router doesnt respond
Second case (VLAN ID =< 127) :
Main PC (eth0.126 ; 192.168.1.2) ------> unit (eth0.126 ; 192.168.1.1) => OK, can communicate between Main PC and routeur

Anyone can confirm that bug ?
Thanks

PS: Have you any idea when BarrierBaker will be officialy released to the WNDR3700v4 ?

May be a limitation in either the OpenWRT source code or the router itself, I'm not sure.

Same with when standard support for the WNDR's will be released in trunk; it does look like it is being worked on by one or 2 of the developers but nobody in here as far as I know, have an actual ETA on things.  For now, there's a few of us in here posting unofficial builds, for a while there we were all hacking code to get a workable image happening.

Hi AdamK, is there a location where you've posted either a patch to the official source with the needed changes to get the WNDR3700v4 working, or the code altogether with changes incorporated (Github, etc.)? I was hoping to recompile your build but adding iptables-mod-tee (wanting to do a little port mirroring).

If not, no worries, but wanted to check and see if you had put it out there.

Thanks again for all your work on this, it is hugely appreciated!

Hello AdamK,

I also want to say thank you for all your work on this.

I tried to flash the below image from TFTP but for some reason I could not manage ... I uploaded the image with tftp2 and the power led was bilking for over 15 minutes. So I just went ahead and flashed it from the stock web interface.

http://www.mcservices.com.au/downloads/ … actory.img

But I thought I would test some more ... to see if I did something wrong with the TFTP method.
So I flashed back the Netgear image with TFTP just to see if I was doing everything right.
After confirming that the Netgear image was flashed successfully I retried againg to flash your image with TFTP.
I had the same result ... I uploaded the image with tftp2 and the power led was bilking for over 15 minutes.
So I just re-flashed it from the web interface.

Just reporting this here as it might have some value to somebody.

Thanks again for all your work ... from a happy WNDR3700v4 user (I have 2 of these)

(Last edited by PhilipTS on 25 Apr 2014, 11:37)

Thank you for you great effort on dev 3700v4!

I flashed this version:http://www.mcservices.com.au/downloads/OpenWRT/Barrier-Breaker-r40560/openwrt-ar71xx-nand-wndr3700v4-ubi-factory.img

Basically the functions works well, except the flash size is limited to 12M, I don't know whether can manually adjust.

And I found that wifi issue: if you edit existing wifi or add a new net work, the old one can not connect any more, I must delete it and setup a totally new one to get the wifi work.

Has anyone else had issues getting the latest trunk revision to compile? I pulled down a clean Git yesterday, then used menuconfig to set the Developer Options / Broken Platforms toggle to allow for the WNDR3700v4 target, made the tweak per Hnyman's post, and then compiled. But, it fails when trying to create one of the squashfs images. I tried on two different systems, so I don't think it's a package / environment issue.

I'll post the debug output in a few minutes.

Here's the output:

echo -ne '\xde\xad\xc0\xde' >> /home/mint/openwrt/build_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/linux-ar71xx_nand/root.jffs2-64k
dd if=/home/mint/openwrt/build_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/linux-ar71xx_nand/root.jffs2-64k of=/home/mint/openwrt/bin/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-nand-root.jffs2-64k bs=128k conv=sync
21+1 records in
22+0 records out
2883584 bytes (2.9 MB) copied, 0.0134481 s, 214 MB/s
cp -fpR /home/mint/openwrt/build_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/linux-ar71xx_nand/root.squashfs-raw /home/mint/openwrt/build_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/linux-ar71xx_nand/tmp/root.squashfs
cp: cannot stat `/home/mint/openwrt/build_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/linux-ar71xx_nand/root.squashfs-raw': No such file or directory
make[5]: *** [install] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/mint/openwrt/target/linux/ar71xx/image'
make[4]: *** [install] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/mint/openwrt/target/linux/ar71xx'
make[3]: *** [install] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/mint/openwrt/target/linux'
make[2]: *** [target/linux/install] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mint/openwrt'
make[1]: *** [/home/mint/openwrt/staging_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp/.target_install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mint/openwrt'
make: *** [world] Error 2

Hello

I know I'm no developer (well, acutally I am, just not on embedded devices, ha!), but I'm having trouble with my WNDR3700v4 on dd-wrt, it's PPPoE connection is unstable (very much so, loses connection 3, 4, 5 times an hour), and the wireless clients disconnect at the same time too.

Anyway, I'll be wanting to try out this build soon so I've downloaded

openwrt-ar71xx-nand-wndr3700v4-ubi-factory.img

From

http://www.mcservices.com.au/downloads/ … er-r40560/

In anticipation.

This is a factory.img so I should be able to directly flash this via tftp, yes? Planning on erasing dd-wrt and entering tftp mode by following:

mtd -r erase nvram ## This is what I did, it automatically reboots.

Once you get a ping back, do this to erase dd-wrt:

telnet 192.168.1.1
root/admin
mtd erase linux << not mtb

This forces you into reset mode, with a green blinking power light.
No more poking the button when I'm hours away from an MRI on my wrist

And I should be able to tftp put the openwrt firmware factory.img at this point?

As I'm totally new to openwrt, can someone tell me if the web config pages are installed in this image file please? Not desperately keen on having to cli my router but I guess if needs must. Stability and functionality are more important than visual niceness, but I'd like the web UI hmm

Sorry for hijacking the dev forum with newbie questions. I only bought the darned router because dd-wrt said it was supported (and then, turns out, not so well supported), and I can't return it, so really hoping I can get openwrt going on it.

thanks

Hi harpingon

I tried flashing directly with TFTP the image (see my above post) but it did not work.

I would suggest that you flash the Netgear image (from Netgear support site) with TFTP.
Below a link with instructions

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700?s[]=wndr3700&s[]=tftp#recovery.flash.in.failsafe.mode

Then flash from the Netgear GUI the OpenWRT image.

The images that AdamK is providing do have the Web GUI included (LuCI).

(Last edited by PhilipTS on 28 Apr 2014, 14:59)

Ah okay. Thanks. Will re-flash the base netgear before trying OpenWRT. Thank you.

Edit:

Worked, thanks for the tip. Went back to stock, then to openwrt

It's super quick, and I got my WiFi back up and running before my gotomeeting metting. Great stuff.

I'll fiddle with more of the configs tonight, and obviously I don't know about the PPPoE stability yet, hoping it's better than dd-wrt. But so far, I must say ... outstanding.

Thanks to all involved.

Second Edit:

And the stability is fantastic. No drops, reboots, loss of WiFi or any of the other things that plagued the router with dd-wrt. Happy smile

(Last edited by harpingon on 29 Apr 2014, 07:03)

harpingon wrote:

And I should be able to tftp put the openwrt firmware factory.img at this point?

Should be able to, but probably won't be able to.   There is a one-letter fix that is needed but so far the dev's haven't committed the patch.

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/ope … 24813.html

You'll probably need to flash the OEM firmware back and then use the web firmware update screen to flash openwrt.   The OEM firmware is less picky about the capitalization in the header.

Hi all,
First of all, i want say thanks to AdamK, for him helping by config (i only change subtarget to Generic with NAND, like he says for me) https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 84#p230884

There is new FW for Netgear WNDR3700v4 and WNDR4300 based on OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r40599 and LuCI Trunk (svn-r10180):
http://www.jumbomail.me/Downloads.aspx? … 727464733D
There are 4 files - 2 firmwares, md5sum's and config file

PS: WNDR4300 fw seems to work for me.

(Last edited by KT315 on 1 May 2014, 09:06)

finally got around to updating to 40512. everythings running fine right now. still had the loss of ipv6 address, and still dunno what caused that. but right now it is working. 40387 ran so stable for weeks. only thing that got the router to reboot was a power failure from a storm, which set off the ipv6 loss again. lets see how long this stays up for.

I see there are quite a few changes since my last build run so I will compile a new image version over the next few hours.

UPDATE:  https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 89#p232089

New images are up.

(Last edited by AdamK on 2 May 2014, 14:49)

of course, right after i update. tongue

Yeah well gotta give you something to do haven't I tongue

AdamK,
I have installed your current last build and It's not possible to install any kernel module because it points to the daily build so kernel version mismatches. I have wndr3700v4 and I need it to work. I couldn't find any roadmap with the estimated date of a new stable release of openwrt. Do I have to compile my own version of the image and modules and put the modules on a web server to access from my router? If after that I need to update openwrt version, can I generate a sysupgrade image? I have only seen factory images on your repository.

Thanks

Hi there,
That is correct.  Sadly there are no images built automatically by the OpenWRT developers as it is still classified as a broken platform.  The reason for this is because they are still grappling with the NAND flash in these devices.  It is for this same reason that there are no sysupgrade images available; the ability to sysupgrade is broken in trunk.  This has been the case now for quite sometime so my intention with my builds is to provide as many features as possible OOB so that members don't have a need to go tinkering about with trying to install modules and at least providing them also with an OpenWRT image to see how it will work on their devices.

It is pleasing to see that quite a few people have been able to use these image builds and are reporting that things are working really well for them. 

Your post has given me an idea as to how I may address your issue however.  There is an option which says "Select all packages by default" which I have enabled.  Hopefully that will build all packages thus empowering you to download them from my repository & add/remove packages.  However for now at least that ability would need to be done manually via the CLI, until I can spare the time to modify source code and enable it to be done via LuCI.

I'm in the throws of testing an image build based on trunk revision 40718 at present, as an earlier attempt at a fresh build failed rather miserably and put my router into an infinite rebooting loop.  This was identified as being caused by some upgrades done to GCC/Linaro which broke the image produced even after a make clean.  So I did a full wipe of my trunk source tree and did a full fresh checkout and built the whole lot from scratch.  This seems to have worked, so now I am looking at ways on how to address your problem and also another issue mentioned in another thread.

(Last edited by AdamK on 7 May 2014, 23:25)

small question. no big deal. but why are dhcpv6 leases always marked as expired? when you are leased one, it gives a 1 hour countdown before then. and none of my devices have lost their ipv6 address and ipv6 still works just fine. but the router still says expired forever. i do also wonder why hostnames also show a "?" for some devices, when dhcpv4 lists everything fine. it all works, its just weird.

http://i.imgur.com/IiiYIl6.png

thejackofclubs wrote:

why are dhcpv6 leases always marked as expired?

I wonder if it is a timezone issue.  Typically lease files are in UTC.  Maybe the code is subtracting local time from UTC and short changing the lease by the local timezone offset?

thejackofclubs wrote:

small question. no big deal. but why are dhcpv6 leases always marked as expired? when you are leased one, it gives a 1 hour countdown before then. and none of my devices have lost their ipv6 address and ipv6 still works just fine. but the router still says expired forever. i do also wonder why hostnames also show a "?" for some devices, when dhcpv4 lists everything fine. it all works, its just weird.

I've noticed similar behaviour.  Strange I know but everything does still work as intended.  I sometimes wonder if perhaps the OpenWRT devs don't have many or any developers with native dual stack IPv6 connectivity...surely some of them must!  At any rate I've noticed they broke native dual stack again so I have to trace down the culprit revision and report it to them.  At present the latest builds I have that seem to work for most people & has the most features is 40727.  I doubt it will resolve your query, though at least things don't break after the 1 hour expiry...

I also need to replace my WDR4300 (TP-Link -- NOT to be confused with the Netgear WNDR4300) which I use for testing, I bricked it this afternoon...oops.  Seems after a bit of thought, it does not like being flashed when someone is inadvertently downloading at full speed -- it fries the flash chip.  I need to get a JTAG onto it and confirm the theory, but if true then that's rather...unfortunate.

Just wanted to say thanks for making those WNDRv4 images.  I installed http://www.mcservices.com.au/downloads/ … actory.img today on my WNDR3700v4 and it worked a treat.  The only thing that took a bit of fiddling was getting the VLANs right, but that was the case on my old WNDR3700 v1 on 12.09 as well.  (VLAN changes seem to require manually editing the config file to get it just right, and rebooting to reprogram the switch.)

I also noticed that every time it reboots it randomly picks a new MAC address on the uplink port.  That's nice for interfacing to a public network, but very annoying when you want to use DHCP reservations.  I ended up just using a static address.

Anyway, thanks again.  Love being able to have both my WNDR3700s on OpenWrt.

Guys this looks VERY promising!

@41131      8 hours    blogic   
ar71xx: add sysupgrade support for wndr4300

How stable are these builds? I'd really love to ditch the default firmware for an openwrt build if I thought it was stable enough. It's just for a home setup so nothing mission critical.

Sorry, posts 276 to 275 are missing from our archive.