OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-MR3020 Support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Jun 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

yes it should, unless there are differences in hw vers...

it also should not have bricked since the commands are ok.......

Hello,

the situation is the same at any switch position. so let hope i will fix it with the serial console when i got the interface to do it.

Hi all,

I want to use my TP-Link TL-MR3020 to access internet  through wifi from my ISP why it limited to 1 account per device. I understand that WISP protocol (or terminology) allow an access point to help client be able to connect multiple device with 1 account. The detail is illustrates below;

ISP Wifi
(SS_ID: ISP_wifi)
|
|
(no security wifi connection, will authenticate over web browser)
|
|
TP-Link TL-MR3020
(SS_ID: Jubilate_wifi)
|
|
(WPA2 Encryption)

|
|
Laptop, Mobile Phone, Tablet. (At first connection, any device need to perform authentication. After that, all other devices can access internet without provide credential again)

This WISP work fine on stock rom. However, I try to configure over OpenWRT, I cannot find any menu mention about WISP. After google, I found some link;

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=33776
http://blog.philippklaus.de/2011/04/ope … an-access/

Due to I'm inexperience and unable to follow command line. I want to try Luci GUI first. Again, I cannot set up the wireless network properly via Luci GUI. Could anyone suggest me what I should do please?

Thank you

Don't know about LuCI, but it all boils down to the contents of the following text files on your router,

/etc/config/wireless
/etc/config/network
/etc/config/dhcp
/etc/config/firewall

If you learn how to edit them, then the configuration you need (assuming you have installed Attitude Adjustment) is discussed in https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=39077 (look for MODE 2).

Note that, depending on your ISP router, you may also need to edit /lib/wifi/mac80211.sh as described in https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 88#p123888

(Last edited by rambler on 31 Mar 2014, 16:59)

Hi
I just got my self a MR3020 and flashed it with OpenWrt and I love it. smile
I am not new to routing and switching coz I used to be a Cisco CCNP for many many years ago.

I started to play with OpenWrt and soon found out that I need more RAM and FLASH so I have ordered a 64Meg RAM upgrade and a 16Meg flash upgrade (W25Q128FVSIG)

I guess RAM upgrade is just to replace the RAM chip on the board and then boot it up. Will the new RAM size be auto detected or do I have to change some other things?

For the FLASH upgrade I read some that I need to read out some important data from the org FLASH and then put this back on the new chip. Also I read that the boot loader need some modding to recognize the new size?
Can anyone help me out here? Like what data I need to copy and what I have to do with the boot loader?

Also. When I get out the data from the org FLASH. How do you put it back it to the new FLASH?
Do I need a SPI programmer or can I use the MR3020 to do the job?

I have a Teensy 2.0++ that I can use to write to the new chip but this will be a bit hazzle for me so if there is an easier way I would be great full if some of you can share.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

nebbia88: Thanks for guiding me in the right direction.

After much reading I found a way to program my flash chip. Turns out that there are many ways (three that I know of) to do the flash upgrade.
The method I chose was to go with u-boot_mod which will fix everything for you. Rootfs is also re sized without needing to change any code. Art section can be uploaded from web gui.
But I had to use and external SPI programmer. I had the BlackCat USB in my drawer and this was able to program the boot loader into my flash.

Also for serial interface I used my Minimus AVR (90USB162) with the Lufa USBToSerial code without any pull up resistor on TX. Worked pretty good.

Next step now will be RAM upgrade.

Is it 64Meg that is max upgrade RAM size or is it possible to get even more. Like 128??

Regards

Context.EAX wrote:

Is it 64Meg that is max upgrade RAM size or is it possible to get even more. Like 128??s

The AR9331 SoC supports only 16-bit SDRAM, DDR1, and DDR2 memory configurations and do not support 32-bit mode, and  can have up to 64 MBytes or 512 Mbits in 16-bit mode.

The configuration chosen by TP-Link is using a single DDR1 TSSOP II 66-pin package, mine was a Zentel A3S56D40FTP-G5 256 Mbits (32 Mbytes)  DDR1 SDRAM chip.

Here are two 64 MBytes (512 Mbits) chips that are validated by Atheros: EtronTech EM6AB160TSD-5G and Nanya NT5DS32M16DS-5T.

Squonk wrote:
Context.EAX wrote:

Is it 64Meg that is max upgrade RAM size or is it possible to get even more. Like 128??s

The AR9331 SoC supports only 16-bit SDRAM, DDR1, and DDR2 memory configurations and do not support 32-bit mode, and  can have up to 64 MBytes or 512 Mbits in 16-bit mode.

The problem is also in available number of bank select signals, not only in memory bus width (16-bit). AR9331, like probably most or even every Atheros WiSoC, has only 2-bit bank addressing, so it can control a maximum of 4 banks (2 bits gives us 4 values).

There are 1 Gbit (128 MiB) and even 2 Gbit (256 MiB) DDR2 SDRAM memory in single chip, with 16-bit data bus, on the market, examples:
- Winbond W971 series: 8M x 8 banks x 16-bit (64M x 16-bit), 128 MiB in total
- Hynix H5PS1G6 series: 8M x 8 banks x 16-bit (64M x 16-bit), 128 MiB in total
- Winbond W972 series: 16M x 8 banks x 16-bit (128M x 16-bit), 256 MiB in total
- Micron MT47H series: 16M x 8 banks x 16-bit (128M x 16-bit), 256 MiB in total

DDR space for AR9331 in address space map is 256 MiB, so in theory, if you find DDR1 or DDR2 memory chip organized as 16M x 4 banks x 16-bit (64M x 16-bit) or even 32M x 4 banks x 16-bit (128M x 16-bit)... it should work, again - in theory.

And here is a good news - there are some DDR1/2 chips with that organization on the market (or were, because most I have found are EOL). But, the bad news is simple - price for 16M x 4 banks x 16-bit (64M x 16-bit) DDR1 in TSOP-II package (which fits in most TP-Link low-level routers) is mega gigantic... ~30 USD per one chip... and MOQ is not 1 pcs.

So, at this moment, from practical point of view, 8M x 4 banks x 16-bit (32M x 16-bit), 64 MiB in total, is the maximum.

Important edit: AR9331 has only 12-bit address bus for external memory (A0~A12)... page 16 in datasheet. So, no way to use chips which needs A0~A13 address inputs... so, no way to use bigger chips on AR9331.

(Last edited by pepe2k on 3 May 2014, 11:43)

pepe2k wrote:

Important edit: AR9331 has only 12-bit address bus for external memory (A0~A12)... page 16 in datasheet. So, no way to use chips which needs A0~A13 address inputs... so, no way to use bigger chips on AR9331.

Yeah, I was about to point this out smile

Hello,

I have openwrt on my MR3020 and I take it on the road. It works in many hotels. However, I had some unsuccessful stories, e.g. the hotel I am staying now. I connect the cable from wall RJ45 port to Ethernet port of the router, the router obtains the ip from hotel server(router), my laptop connects to the router via wifi, everything seems right. When I try to open website, it does not open the hotel login page(to enter the password). Tried many times, no success.

Checked the following:
1. Plug in the cable directly to my laptop, hotel login page opens in a second, internet works fine after entering the password.
2. The router configuration has not been changed after last successful use, router is able to get ip address, and able to assign ip address to my laptop.

I believe that there are something to do with hotel login page. What is the possible reason that the login page cannot be opened if I have my router connected in between my laptop and hotel network, Any suggestion?

Is the subnet configured on the MR3020 different to the subnet the hotel is using on their guest system?
Could also be a dns problem if the hotel is blocking the servers configured in your router.

Hi webtron,

hotel use 192.168.128.x, my router uses 192.168.0.x. Any problem?

webtron wrote:

Is the subnet configured on the MR3020 different to the subnet the hotel is using on their guest system?
Could also be a dns problem if the hotel is blocking the servers configured in your router.

Any one know how many USB port are supported by chip set? I want to solder an internal USB port for USB drive to increase the flash memory, but I do not want to occupy the existing USB port, I need to plug-in the 3G modem sometime. I also do not want to plug-in a USB hub. If more than one USB ports are supported, where to solder the pin? thanks

msnews wrote:

Any one know how many USB port are supported by chip set? I want to solder an internal USB port for USB drive to increase the flash memory, but I do not want to occupy the existing USB port, I need to plug-in the 3G modem sometime. I also do not want to plug-in a USB hub. If more than one USB ports are supported, where to solder the pin? thanks

Thanks. I soldered a USB hub and attached a USB drive inside. I remember there is a post or wiki that describes the procedure how to extend the router flash memory by utilizing USB storage, but now I could not find it. Anyone has the link?

pepe2k wrote:
msnews wrote:

Good. I just cannot recall the proper name. Now I am stuck again because of the space on rootfs while trying to install some packages e.g c2prog in order to format my USB to ext4. The USB stick is already inside the router so I am willing not to open the box and take out it to use my computer for formatting. The space of my router is:

root@TL-MR3020:/tmp/log# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                    1.1M   1020.0K     68.0K  94% /
/dev/root                 2.0M      2.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    14.3M    580.0K     13.7M   4% /tmp
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock3            1.1M   1020.0K     68.0K  94% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay        1.1M   1020.0K     68.0K  94% /

/tmp still have 13.7M free, but the rootfs is almost full because it has only 1.1M. Can I increase the size of rootfs?

tmo26 wrote:

Have you been searching for this one?

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/extroot

Hi,

I have installed latest AA in my MR3020. I configured MR3020's IPv4 address to 192.168.102.1. I have enabled Wifi on the MR3020.

When I connect (MR3020)---cable---(PC), I get a 192.168.102.xxx IP address and can configure the MR3020 as I wish.

Now I want the MR3020 to get Internet access from another router through cable, connect my PC to the MR3020's Wifi, and still get a 192.168.102.xxx IP address.

The connection is as follows:
(other router)---cable---(MR3020)---wifi---(PC)

Instead of getting a 192.168.102.xxx IP Address, I get an IP address from (other router), which is 192.168.0.xxx.

How do I configure the MR3020 to achieve that?

Ramiro

(Last edited by adawg89 on 13 May 2014, 21:35)

adawg89 wrote:

Did you flash AA on version 2? I thought only trunk worked on version 2? I know version 1 has stable AA

It's a version 1.

On Network--WIFI---Interface Configuration, change Mode to "Access Point". This will let you get ip address from the other router

ramiro.polla wrote:

Hi,

I have installed latest AA in my MR3020. I configured MR3020's IPv4 address to 192.168.102.1. I have enabled Wifi on the MR3020.

When I connect (MR3020)---cable---(PC), I get a 192.168.102.xxx IP address and can configure the MR3020 as I wish.

Now I want the MR3020 to get Internet access from another router through cable, connect my PC to the MR3020's Wifi, and still get a 192.168.102.xxx IP address.

The connection is as follows:
(other router)---cable---(MR3020)---wifi---(PC)

Instead of getting a 192.168.102.xxx IP Address, I get an IP address from (other router), which is 192.168.0.xxx.

How do I configure the MR3020 to achieve that?

Ramiro

(Edit: Ignore this post. I misread the question and deleted my wrong answer, sorry.)

(Last edited by metai on 15 May 2014, 22:53)

Hi i need help, does this router support VLAN ?

Hello,
I just got a new MR3020 v1.7 and we want to use it as a small file server for a local orphanage.
I downloaded the OpenWRT (openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory) image and uploaded it using the TP-Link WebUI. The router rebooted and I tried to connect to 192.168.1.1 with no luck... I tried pinging 192.168.1.1 also without luck (I set my IP to 192.168.1.2 and SUBMASK to 255.255.255.0).
On my laptop a wireless network appears "carrierwrt-6A65C0" it's password protected and i can't any info on it on google.

I also tried turning on failsafe it worked the WPS led is blinking and when i ping 192.168.1.1 it shows up but i can't connect to it using putty (telnet just closes without message)

I have no idea what to do now, and we cannot afford a new router, i'm older and i dont have much technical knowledge about computing and my english is quite rusty. Thank you for any help!