OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Quallcomm qca9558/TP-Link WDR7500 support

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 May 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I need assistance with an archer c7 v2 ieee80211ac configuration. I don't see ieee80211ac, the other iee80211something nor the vht options in /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf. Did I miss something when I configured and compiled the from git tree?

(I currently have a smartphone and a Cisco wumc710 wireless bridge that do ac.)

Also, configuring with LuCi or "uci commit wireless; wifi" will typically knock out the radios or make the router completely unresponsive. Is that normal?

And, also, how do I convince openwrt to release the WAN DHCP lease?

definesinsanity: I have some time tonight I'm going to try to use the recovery method xbsd posted and I'll follow your advice and flash the openwrt nightly build. I've been in the habit of using my own builds because my previous tp-link devices had so little flash I had to compile everything I wanted into the rom otherwise I didn't have enough space. (I do things like add my preferred editor and install procps.)

If I don't get it tonight I'm going to post my wireless config from both devices.

(Last edited by Anamin on 23 Apr 2014, 21:41)

LJL wrote:

I need assistance with an archer c7 v2 ieee80211ac configuration. I don't see ieee80211ac, the other iee80211something nor the vht options in /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf. Did I miss something when I configured and compiled the from git tree?

What are you expecting to see different?

Also, configuring with LuCi or "uci commit wireless; wifi" will typically knock out the radios or make the router completely unresponsive. Is that normal?

Obviously, it restarts the radios. It actually shuts them off and reloads. When you're making config changes like this, you're best off doing it over a WIRED connection.

You don't. It isn't the client's responsibility to release a lease. Its the SERVER's responsibility. If you want to release the WAN DHCP lease, you'll need to contact your ISP, but I can't imagine a single reason why you would WANT to.

(Last edited by definesinsanity on 23 Apr 2014, 21:57)

LJL wrote:

Obviously they should be there. What does 'uci show wireless' tell? Also, it could be possible that the ac-adapter is phy1 instead of phy0.

snk wrote:
LJL wrote:

Obviously they should be there. What does 'uci show wireless' tell? Also, it could be possible that the ac-adapter is phy1 instead of phy0.

I used git source from April 4th with definesinsanity's patches to
target/linux/ar71xx/generic/profiles/tp-link.mk and target/linux/ar71xx/image/Makefile to enable c7 v2.  Are there any configuration options required to enable ieee80211ac for hostapd or uci?

uci show wireless

wireless.radio0=wifi-device
wireless.radio0.type=mac80211
wireless.radio0.path=pci0000:01/0000:01:00.0
wireless.radio0.ht_capab=LDPC SHORT-GI-20 SHORT-GI-40 TX-STBC RX-STBC1 DSSS_CCK-40
wireless.radio0.hwmode=11na
wireless.radio0.txpower=17
wireless.radio0.country=US
wireless.radio0.htmode=HT40+
wireless.radio0.channel=36
wireless.@wifi-iface[0]=wifi-iface
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].device=radio0
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].network=lan
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].mode=ap
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ssid=ssid5
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].encryption=psk2
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].key=pass5
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].wds=0
wireless.radio1=wifi-device
wireless.radio1.type=mac80211
wireless.radio1.path=platform/qca955x_wmac
wireless.radio1.ht_capab=LDPC SHORT-GI-20 SHORT-GI-40 TX-STBC RX-STBC1 DSSS_CCK-40
wireless.radio1.txpower=30
wireless.radio1.country=US
wireless.radio1.hwmode=11n
wireless.radio1.htmode=HT40-
wireless.radio1.channel=11
wireless.@wifi-iface[1]=wifi-iface
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].device=radio1
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].network=lan
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].mode=ap
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].encryption=psk2
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].key=pass24
wireless.@wifi-iface[1].ssid=ssid24
wireless.@wifi-iface[2]=wifi-iface
wireless.@wifi-iface[2].device=radio0
wireless.@wifi-iface[2].mode=ap
wireless.@wifi-iface[2].ssid=ssid5E
wireless.@wifi-iface[2].network=lan
wireless.@wifi-iface[2].encryption=psk2
wireless.@wifi-iface[2].key=pass5E
wireless.@wifi-iface[2].disabled=1

/var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf

driver=nl80211
logger_syslog=127
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=127
logger_stdout_level=2
country_code=US
ieee80211d=1
hw_mode=a
channel=36

ieee80211n=1
ht_capab=[HT40+][LDPC][SHORT-GI-20][SHORT-GI-40][TX-STBC][RX-STBC1][DSSS_CCK-40]

interface=wlan0
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
disassoc_low_ack=1
preamble=1
wmm_enabled=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wpa_passphrase=pass5
auth_algs=1
wpa=2
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
ssid=ssid5
bridge=br-lan
okc=0
disable_pmksa_caching=1
bssid=00:03:07:12:13:14

/var/run/hostapd-phy1.conf

driver=nl80211
logger_syslog=127
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=127
logger_stdout_level=2
country_code=US
ieee80211d=1
hw_mode=g
channel=11

ieee80211n=1
ht_capab=[HT40-][LDPC][SHORT-GI-20][SHORT-GI-40][TX-STBC][RX-STBC1][DSSS_CCK-40]

interface=wlan1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
disassoc_low_ack=1
preamble=1
wmm_enabled=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wpa_passphrase=pass24
auth_algs=1
wpa=2
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
ssid=ssid24
bridge=br-lan
okc=0
disable_pmksa_caching=1
bssid=e8:94:f6:90:91:92

I'm sitting here with the solarwinds tftp server running I'm not even seeing the router attempt to connect. Lan interface is set to 192.168.1.66/24. Held reset while powering on, which causes the router to not bootloop so I assume it's in some sort of recovery mode. Wasn't sure if it needed to be on the lan or wan side, so I've tried both several times.

definesinsanity wrote:
LJL wrote:

What are you expecting to see different?

Obviously, it restarts the radios. It actually shuts them off and reloads. When you're making config changes like this, you're best off doing it over a WIRED connection.

You don't. It isn't the client's responsibility to release a lease. Its the SERVER's responsibility. If you want to release the WAN DHCP lease, you'll need to contact your ISP, but I can't imagine a single reason why you would WANT to.

I expected to see hostapd configuration settings for 802.11ac.

The radio are quite often not returning from configuration  changes and sometimes even the LAN ports are non-responsive.

The release is to change network devices with Verizon FIOS. Simple MAC cloning has never worked. Waiting for the lease to expire or convincing tech support to do it is impractical. Releasing the lease through various stock software interfaces or dd-wrt is always cake -- click a "Release DHCP" button on a web page. Not so much with openwrt, although I have managed to do it with udhcpc -r on other systems.

LJL: I've had the same sort of issues when restarting wireless. Also recalling from memory, but I think you need to change htmode to vht. You can also verify if it's enabled with "iw dev wlan0 info" you'll see 80mhz channel.

LJL wrote:

I expected to see hostapd configuration settings for 802.11ac.

Has support for it actually been upstreamed though?

The release is to change network devices with Verizon FIOS. Simple MAC cloning has never worked. Waiting for the lease to expire or convincing tech support to do it is impractical. Releasing the lease through various stock software interfaces or dd-wrt is always cake -- click a "Release DHCP" button on a web page. Not so much with openwrt, although I have managed to do it with udhcpc -r on other systems.

That isn't releasing the dhcp lease, that's releasing the IP address from the interface. killall -USR2 udhcpc should do it.

I had AC mode working, but I was using the latest builds. I can't speak to LJL's early April build.

Also with my 4300 my interface is linked at 144mbit. I'm getting about 80mbit throughput. With the C7 connected through AC with an interface link in the 200s, I was only able to get 30-40mbit in my brief testing. That was the major motivation to go back to stock and see if anything changed with that.

Anamin wrote:

I'm sitting here with the solarwinds tftp server running I'm not even seeing the router attempt to connect. Lan interface is set to 192.168.1.66/24. Held reset while powering on, which causes the router to not bootloop so I assume it's in some sort of recovery mode. Wasn't sure if it needed to be on the lan or wan side, so I've tried both several times.

That's strange, it should work unless you have tempered with u-boot or (Windows)firewall is blocking tftp..
Have you tried to disable firewall?  or better yet, try to see what's going on with Wireshark.
If there's no activity from C7, your last resort will be serial cable. hmm

log from my recovery ;-)

Connection received from 192.168.1.86 on port 1347 [28/03 18:56:28.651]
Read request for file <ArcherC7v2_tp_recovery.bin>. Mode octet [28/03 18:56:28.651]
OACK: <timeout=5,> [28/03 18:56:28.655]
Using local port 61968 [28/03 18:56:28.655]
<ArcherC7v2_tp_recovery.bin>: sent 31745 blks, 16252928 bytes in 5 s. 0 blk resent [28/03 18:56:33.544]
LJL wrote:

target/linux/ar71xx/generic/profiles/tp-link.mk and target/linux/ar71xx/image/Makefile to enable c7 v2.  Are there any configuration options required to enable ieee80211ac for hostapd or uci?

uci show wireless

-- clip --

You need to set 'uci set wireless.radio0.htmode=VHT80' for 80 MHz channels or VHT40 for 40 MHz channels.

802.11ac support has been upstreamed since February. Only support for DFS-channels is missing, but you can find my patches for DFS in the mailing list.

LJL wrote:

I missed this part before and noticed it simply because others have referenced it.
LJL: You no longer need to add my patch manually. It has been incorporated into upstream (with minor modification) as of this revision: https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/40463

wuxeon wrote:

There is wdr7500 v3 on sell in WWW. JD.COM,Anyone knows that v3=archer c7 v2?  Mine is v1 ,it can't support  5g with ath10k linux driver.

I just bought a WDR7500 from JD.com, and it was just a V2. Where do you see the V3?
I bought this part: http://search.jd.com/Search?keyword=wdr … ;enc=utf-8
439 rmb

I flashed it to the Archver C7 V1 (via OpenWRT) without any problems.

rondlh wrote:
wuxeon wrote:

There is wdr7500 v3 on sell in WWW. JD.COM,Anyone knows that v3=archer c7 v2?  Mine is v1 ,it can't support  5g with ath10k linux driver.

I just bought a WDR7500 from JD.com, and it was just a V2. Where do you see the V3?
I bought this part: http://search.jd.com/Search?keyword=wdr … ;enc=utf-8
439 rmb

I flashed it to the Archver C7 V1 (via OpenWRT) without any problems.

http://club.jd.com/bbsDetail/802709_f8f … ab8_1.html

http://service.tp-link.com.cn/list_down … 0_299.html

snk wrote:

You need to set 'uci set wireless.radio0.htmode=VHT80' for 80 MHz channels or VHT40 for 40 MHz channels.

Well that was terribly easy and works great. The wumc710 is showing a 5GHz 780Mbps 80Hz connection to the archer c7. I did a fresh source pull and compile and that works well too.

Thanks, definesinsanity, Anamin and snk!

Thanks so much xbsd. I finally had time to turn off windows firewall and try again. Despite unblocking the tftp service windows firewall was still getting in the way. Turning the whole thing off did the trick and I now have what appears to be a working C7.

definesinsanity: Now back to my quest to get WDS working. I flashed a precompiled nightly to try. Hopefully my builds were just missing something.

definesinsanity wrote:
Anamin wrote:

I still was unable to get WDS successfully working on the AC card. I also ordered an Intel AC card for my laptop and was having less than stellar results sitting 6 ft from the router in the same room. I wanted to go back to baseline to see what I can expect from this unit factory to know what to mess with further and what to accept as is.

*edit* when I bought the C7 I ran the stock firmware long enough to flash openwrt on it tongue

Still? Even with the right firmware in place?
I'd like you to try again, using the nightly OpenWRT (not your own build), manually copying in the correct firmware, and configuring the WDS through LuCI. I'm telling you, mine is WDS'ing as we speak, perfect stability.

Also, I'm not sure if you realize this, but stock firmware will *DEFINITELY NOT* be WDS-compatible with *anything* running OpenWRT.

I got everything back up and running and started fresh with the latest builds. Unfortunately the latest openwrt generated C7 V2 build was lacking the ath10k driver. I ended up compiling a build again.

WDS wouldn't work when I had the C7 as the AP. As soon as I reversed roles between the C7 and 4300 my bridge worked.  I can't seem to get WDS to work when the C7 is in AP mode.

I am presently connected to the wdr7500 in a chained mode:1st router(ip:192.168.1.5)----->wan port of wdr7500(lan ip:192.168.2.1;wan ip 192.168.1.113)------>lan of pc (ip:192.168.2.7) internet is ok. ping of 192.168.1.5: ok; ping of 192.168.2.1: ok! Telnet/ssh of lan IP of wdr7500 : NETWORK ERROR: CONNECTION REFUSED. I tried to telnet/ssh to wan ip of wdr7500: CONNECTION ERROR: CONNECTION TIMED OUT.
What am I doing wrong?

nebbia88 wrote:

@jungario

firewall?

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/firewall#opening.ports

@gordon

usually you can, but I never tried that with this model..

I completely forgot about it, I think it is activated by default after the hard reset, I will delve into some Chinese translation to find where the heck it is. will report

wait, what firmware are you running?

Anamin wrote:

I got everything back up and running and started fresh with the latest builds. Unfortunately the latest openwrt generated C7 V2 build was lacking the ath10k driver. I ended up compiling a build again.

Any particular reason you didn't just install it?
opkg install kmod-ath10k

WDS wouldn't work when I had the C7 as the AP. As soon as I reversed roles between the C7 and 4300 my bridge worked.  I can't seem to get WDS to work when the C7 is in AP mode.

Has to be in wds-ap mode.
You sure that you installed the right firmware?