OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Siemens sx762, wrong u-boot environment. (I think)

The content of this topic has been archived between 31 Mar 2018 and 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

After a success load en flash I ended up where you started in the first post.
I used the kernel from AA from here http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … shfs.image

and got:

0.504000] VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0)
[    0.508000] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
[    0.516000] 1f00              64 mtdblock0  (driver?)
[    0.520000] 1f01              64 mtdblock1  (driver?)
[    0.528000] 1f02            8064 mtdblock2  (driver?)
[    0.532000] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Because it is the last kernel from AA and trunk doesnt have it yet, can you email me the image?
I have send a private message with my email address.

Thanks.

I have send you a download link. But it's not ok yet, there is no working network, nor Luci. I think I 'forgot' some packages.

Ok. that went smooth smile

SSH works anyway. I can login from my laptop.

Thanks for you patience.

I will now try to get the AA image into my router.

wvdakker wrote:

After entering:

tftpboot $loadaddr runtime.img
protect off 1:0-20
cp.b $loadaddr $kernel_addr $filesize

this worked whitout errors.

and starting it with

bootcmd

gave a wrong image message.

Is it possible that you did a saveenv in between? I found that my bootloader saves it's environment starting on 4*64kB, which is where the kernel is stored.
I also found the reason, it's in the uboot-sx76x-nor patch in the packages, where an environment offset of 256 *1k is defined, instead of 192 * 1k.

Does your ath5k work? Mine gives an 'eeprom not found' error. The eth0 gives an 'invalid mac address, using random'. I wonder if some dedicated flash partition should be there, although I couldn't find in the ath5k sources that it tries to access/find such a thing. The PCI variant does some PCI actions before spawning this message. Have not looked yet in the eth0 sources.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I was a week on holiday.
No I did not have any wireless.

I did to much solder/desoling of the boot_sel 0 and 2 strippings. The the soldering islands are gone
and it doesnt hold any wires. Perhaps I need to get the connections from the above side.
Any idea which one I have to take?

No. I guess you can follow the lines until they end in a small hole. That hole is the connection to the other side.

But why do you need it? As long as you have a working bootloader it's not necessary to use UART boot.

Hi everyone!
I've stumbled across the same problem others in this thread have: u-boot in AA has non-working networking, so now I'm stuck at this output from serial:

U-Boot 2010.03 (Jan 18 2014 - 16:37:16)                                                     

Board: Danube/Twinpass/Vinax-VE V1.5, DDR Speed 166 MHz, CPU Speed 333 MHz                  
DRAM:  32 MB
Flash:  8 MB
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

Net:   lq_cpe_eth
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
Failed to execute bootcmd (maybe invalid u-boot environment?), starting httpd to update firmware...
starting httpd server from server 192.168.0.119
http start
..........request for file /

What's the simplest route to get to a working openWRT installation? I read that I can use the "bootwrite.py" python script to get a working bootloader to the device: which would the commands to flash the uploaded file be? Sorry but I'm not very familiar with embedded devices...
Also, the u-boot currently in trunk is finally working well? at least tftp? I've seen patches posted to the devel mailing list, but couldn't figure out if these have been merged yet. Otherwise I've seen there's this u-boot-lantiq project, but I still haven't figured out how to build it.

(Last edited by thenexor on 20 Jan 2014, 22:28)

thenexor wrote:

Hi everyone!
I've stumbled across the same problem others in this thread have: u-boot in AA has non-working networking, so now I'm stuck at this output from serial:

U-Boot 2010.03 (Jan 18 2014 - 16:37:16)                                                     

Board: Danube/Twinpass/Vinax-VE V1.5, DDR Speed 166 MHz, CPU Speed 333 MHz                  
DRAM:  32 MB
Flash:  8 MB
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

Net:   lq_cpe_eth
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 
Failed to execute bootcmd (maybe invalid u-boot environment?), starting httpd to update firmware...
starting httpd server from server 192.168.0.119
http start
..........request for file /

What's the simplest route to get to a working openWRT installation? I read that I can use the "bootwrite.py" python script to get a working bootloader to the device: which would the commands to flash the uploaded file be? Sorry but I'm not very familiar with embedded devices...
Also, the u-boot currently in trunk is finally working well? at least tftp? I've seen patches posted to the devel mailing list, but couldn't figure out if these have been merged yet. Otherwise I've seen there's this u-boot-lantiq project, but I still haven't figured out how to build it.

Hi,

Indeed the AA has a non working networking.
Only way the get it running is putting him into UART mode (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/gigaset/sx76x then UART) and copy the openwrt-lantiq-gigasx76x_ram-u-boot.asc  from http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … sx76x_ram.
After that you can tftp the uboot-nor.img.
Be aware.... the setenv ethaddr did not work in the 28-feb version.. After you add it, you have to edit the environ variable. Then it is working.

Success!

Hi wvdakker, thank you very much for answering!
Today I had the time to try your instructions, but still without success :-(
I successfully loaded the u-boot.asc in ram, then tried to follow the instructions in the wiki, "U-Boot CLI commands" using the image from trunk. The tftp seemed to work, but then I tried to disable uart and boot and it still doesn't boot, stays at "ROM VER: 1.0.3..." like before.
Maybe the procedure wasn't right? What did you mean with "you can tftp the uboot-nor.img"?

I think I got it: the u-boot was working good, I flashed a system image with the commands used by "Mijzelf" and I'm at the point where the kernel complains:

[    0.512000] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:                                                            
[    0.520000] 1f00              64 mtdblock0  (driver?)                                                                                                  
[    0.524000] 1f01              64 mtdblock1  (driver?)                                                                                                  
[    0.532000] 1f02            8064 mtdblock2  (driver?)                                                                                                  
[    0.536000] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)    

Tried changing "bootargs" with setenv, but always ended up with this error, and had to reflash to get it away:

Is the issue a wrong flash layout set somewhere in the kernel? I'm able to rebuild the image, what should I change to get the kernel properly access rootfs?

The problem is that the kernel (+squashfs) is not flashed at the address where the kernel expects it to be, and so it cannot find the beginning of the squashfs to mount it.
According to the bootlog, the kernel expects uImage to start at 128kB. You can change the file target/linux/lantiq/dts/GIGASX76X.dts to make the internal partition table match the actual situation. (On my box my u-boot was more than 128kB, when I remember well, so my uImage had to start on 256kB).

When you are editing this table, maybe you'd better leave the last 64kB. I never got my wireless working, and maybe it needed some data from that last 64kB.

I made it!
The latest trunk already has a working partition layout, with the uboot partition large 192kB. For some reason, though, prebuilt images are not available.
Still, wifi refuses to work for me too, this is the log:

[   12.408000] PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:0e.0 (0000 -> 0002)
[   12.412000] ath5k 0000:00:0e.0: registered as 'phy0'
[   13.476000] ath5k: phy0: unable to init EEPROM
[   13.480000] ath5k: probe of 0000:00:0e.0 failed with error -5

I will update this thread and the wiki with what I'm learning.

Have a look here.

The discussion might have continued from here.