OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Supported hardware for OpenWRT

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,
Apologies in advance for my ignorance on this subject. I am a noob trying to get started with this.
I have 2 routers lying around. one is the Linksys WRT54GL and another D-Link 2650U. First I am trying to understand if openWRT can be installed on any of them, and if so, which one should I choose.
I couldn't find either on the supported hardware lists, but searching around I do see people talking about using these routers.
Can someone please clarify?

Thanks.

(Last edited by itaysk on 19 Apr 2014, 16:26)

Thank you f34r,
So I take it the linksys is a better choice, right?

Reading the installation notes for the linksys, the author says:
"it looks like 10.03.1 is safe but you must use the brcm-2.4 variant like in the link above. I am not risking bricking my router for the initial flash, so I am going with 8.09"
I understand that the newest version 12.04 is a year old. Is the installation guide outdated, or there's actually a problem? Which version should I install?

Linksys router has tftp recovery, so you don't have to worry about bricking it, you can always recover without soldering. You can try AA, but I don't know if there's still 2.4 kernel supported, you need it for broadcom chipset driver, those alternative broadcom drivers in AA for newer kernel sucked. The newest BB runs very slowly on hardware with only 16MB RAM. Probably 10.03.1 with brcm-2.4 will be best pick for such an old hardware. I prefer openwrt, but on my linksys wrt 54g I have been more happy with dd-wrt. Thought I don't have it anymore, because it was very slow even as a bridge.

Thank you! I have successfully installed 10.03.1.

The discussion might have continued from here.