First post and just joined, I hope this post is long and informative to help me in my adventures so to speak. I have a cheap router that I have had for several years, it is an "On Networks N150R". It seems to work fine, does everything I need it to and never had any issues that I know of. But with my concern of all the router vulnerabilities as of late I was wondering if there is a Open Source site that has or may have an OS/Firmware for my router as most I have looked at does not even seem to list my router.

I have checked my router with Steve Gibson's site, https://www.grc.com/ and used his site to test my router for security issues, besides just being a plain basic Router/Wi-Fi Router it did not show any issues, seems to pass all his tests. Well, seems to have passed as long as I am reading everything correctly.

On with the info and questions:

Router Login - User Name - admin(can't change) Password(G7*dwI*&kOllWj4mQ!)(not my real password but an example) my password is generated from LastPass and I feel it is strong enough, I use LastPass Password Manager also based off of a review and recommendation of Steve Gibson. Here are a few of my routers settings I think are important to share and get advice, if you need more info or even screen shots, just let me know:

1-   UPnP - Off/Disabled
2-   Remote Management - Off/Disabled
3-   Dynamic DNS - Not Enabled
4-   Port Forwarding - None
5-   WPS, Routers PIN - Disabled, Keep Existing Wireless Settings is checked
6-   WiFI - Channel 11 - Up to 150Mbps
7-   SSID - My Network - This is broad casted, as whether it is or is not from what I have read would not really help out in the security of it, grc.com also Leo Laporte from Twit.tv
8-   WiFI Security - WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]
9-   DNS - I created an account with OpenDNS and use their DNS IP's on Moderate Settings to filter my          searches and pages, also helps with the 9 year old being around.
10-  Routers Name - Any section I have been able to change the name of the router from N150R to something  else I have changed the name, this way no one can tell what kind the router is just by trying to log  into it.
11-  WiFi login Password: Security Options (WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK), Passphrase :  *eMBRVVR!lF6QR@pBFgi&Gy2$vfE9v   (8-63 characters or 64 hex digits)
12-  MAC Address - I am able to change this, is it something I even need to change or leaving it as is should be fine?

On the routers website (on-networks.com) they have the latest firmware for my router being listed as: N150R Firmware Version 1.0.0.4. But when I was logged into my router itself and told it to check for an update, it download and installed: Firmware Version V1.0.0.5_1.0.1 and there is no info on what was changed or anything about this firmware version on the site that I can read or find. But it is updated.

Very Basic Router Info:

Hardware Version: N150R 
Firmware Version: V1.0.0.5_1.0.1 
GUI Language Version: V1.0.0.11 
MAC Address: 84:1B:5E:85:92:87

Questions:

1-   MAC Address - I am able to change this, is it something I even need to change or leaving it as is should be fine?
2-   Is there an Open Source site that has or may have an OS/Firmware for my router?   
3-   Just looking at the info I have provided, maybe someone checked out the router's site, manual, etc. the settings I am using, is there any reason at all that I even need to change the Firmware of my router or even the router itself?
4-   I am thinking I may need to change channels for a little better performance, I live in apartments and channels 1-6 are a mess with tons of routers around me. What you think, leave at 11 or change, or just adjust and see?
5-   I keep seeing a lot of these in the router logs:  [DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 74.125.228.5, port 80, Sunday, April 20,2014 03:04:48  should I be concerned and or how can I prevent this or can I even prevent this?

Router Usage:
My usage is, Gaming PC((Wired), Battlefield 4, WOW, Rift, Portal 2, etc.))Internet(PC), Netflix(PC, Wii, TiVo, Android(Wired/WiFi)), Wii
(WiFI), TiVo(Wired), three Android Phones(WiFi), iPod(WiFi)

I hope this was not too much of a mess, just trying to provide all info for best answers.