OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: KadNode - A P2P name resolution daemon

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

KadNode lets you choose a personal domain name that you can use on another computers browser/terminal etc. and resolves to your IP address.
You can install KadNode on your laptop and router. Then configure the router instance to announce a choosen domain bound to your secret key.
The Laptop gets the domain name and public key. Now you can use the domain name in your browser (everywhere you use a domain name) to
reach the router. This is one of many possible use cases. You can also exchange domain/public key pairs with friends.

Basic features:

-    IPv4/IPv6 support
-    UPnP/NAT-PMP support
-    local peer discovery
-    small size 75KB-125KB
-    public/secret key authentication
-    command line interface (kadnode-ctl)
-    NSS support through /etc/nsswitch.conf
-    integrated simplified DNS server
-    packages for Debian/ArchLinux/OpenWrt
-    peer file import/export on startup/shutdown

Have a look: https://github.com/mwarning/KadNode

Have fun,
mwarning

Nice and thank you for letting us know.

Np. I hope it can be useful. Keep in mind that the software is still beta. :-)

(Last edited by mwarning on 4 Mar 2014, 01:26)

I see you already geared up the KadNode to support OpenWRT. In that case, why not submit the package to OpenWRT and maintain it? For more information, I strongly suggest that you ask developers on #openwrt-devel IRC channel on how to do so.

Just a suggestion. Perhaps, you may want to contemplate using the GNU autoconf and automake to customize your KadNode source .

Hi,

I would need to do some modifications (use a specifc release etc.) before I can submit the package. I will consider doing that.
As for autoconf/automake; I would like to keep the build system as simple as possible for now.
Anyway, there are also a lot of other build systems I should take into consideration.

Thanks for your input :-)

Just released 0.8. There was a serious bug.

* fix segfault in the key handling routines
  * static linking for libsodium
  * check for duplicate options, except --verbosity and options without arguments
  * add support for Mac OSX
  * fix OpenWrt init script

Have a look https://github.com/mwarning/KadNode/releases.

(Last edited by mwarning on 9 Mar 2014, 19:52)

thanks for your contribution!

My pleasure. smile
Let me know if something does not work - I haven't had much time for testing.

Can KadNode  beat the DNS Poison such as China?

(Last edited by pupie on 26 May 2014, 05:43)

There is the sybill attack on Distributed Hash Tables which would cause an entry not to be found. KadNode itself is prone to man in the middle attacks.
But that is no big issue because in this case you need to have further authentication anyway when you access content.

@pupie: China would just needs to block BitTorrent.

(Last edited by mwarning on 3 Dec 2014, 12:23)

The discussion might have continued from here.