OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: HA Pairing

The content of this topic has been archived on 15 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm running a virtualized x86 OpenWRT system and I'm curious about running an HA pair. I can't find much information about high availability other than multiwan which isn't what I'm looking for.

I would love the ability to run two OpenWRT systems and have them be a load balanced pair. I am doing some replication that will allow me to manually fail over between my two hosts, but it would be awesome to have either one be rebooted and maintain the connectivity, etc.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

as far as i know, only cisco have a fhrp which can load balance across multiple devices called GLBP. I have never found an alternative opensource equal of this protocol despite several hours of research. I had to go with vrrpd in the end....

If i do find something i will let you know but you may be out of luck here, even vrrpd does not maintain a tcp connections table.

Huawei do however have their own implementation of vrrp which also maintains a connection state between 2 devices however they must have a direct connection between the devices so i guess if someone know how to code it can be accomplished but may need to bare expense of a programmer.

i do an experimental setup with batman-adv and multiple gateways which
technically runs quite well.

Still try testing different practial scenarios with tests on 3 gateway and several clients.

Have a look at http://www.open-mesh.org/projects/batma … i/Gateways

Might be something you are looking for.

regards
3zl

Thanks,
  I will take a look at that!

cheers.

The discussion might have continued from here.