OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: CM-9 GP minipci not working on generic 12.09 x86 + PC Engines WRAP1E

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I've managed to install Open wrt 12.09 (x86 combined generic) on WRAP 1E.
http://www.pcengines.ch/wrap1e103.htm
The board boots fine, I havent even disabled DMA.
Console works, LuCI works, but I can't start the wireless card.
http://www.pcengines.ch/cm9.htm

I've installed ath5k with all of its dependancies.
Is there a special setup to make?
ifconfig does not output the wifi card.
I have wi-fi menu in the WebGUI but only unknown mac80211 abg interface is listed and I can not start it.
Iwconfig does not find a wifi adapter also.
Can someone help please?

(Last edited by mikrostart on 2 Apr 2014, 12:52)

I also have WRAP in the past, as long as I remember you need also to  create config file in /etc/config/wireless

I remember the only problem I have is my wrap was not able to reboot. When try yo reboot system stop responding without restart and need to do it manually

nedoskiv wrote:

I also have WRAP in the past, as long as I remember you need also to  create config file in /etc/config/wireless

I remember the only problem I have is my wrap was not able to reboot. When try yo reboot system stop responding without restart and need to do it manually

What wireless card have you used. I installed ath5k with all of its dependancies. It worked althought the interface shows "unknown" (corectly deteced via the serial console). I even managed to connect it and its working. Actualy there're a lot of "goodies" for the good old Wrap. I made it show the cpu temp with "sensors" command.
You're right about restarting. Mine also refused to restart. It says "machine restart", but nothing hapens.

BTW: My goal is to start airmon-ng on that board (so far without success - it starts the airmon software but there's no output on the serial console), have you ever tried this?

I do not remember what wireless card is used on wrap.
I have made my own compilation for TP-LINK 741ND v4 with Airmon/aircrack etc. It work fine so far, but is limited to 2.4ghz only.

nedoskiv wrote:

I do not remember what wireless card is used on wrap.
I have made my own compilation for TP-LINK 741ND v4 with Airmon/aircrack etc. It work fine so far, but is limited to 2.4ghz only.

I've just tried with TP-Link WR740N v4.24 and I had no luck.
Can you please help me with this also.
I've installed 12.09 on the tplink and now I have no memory left sad
I,ve managed to install only reaver, for the aircrack suite I have no space.

Also I've managed to put the wlan in monitor mode and reaver successfully "washed" the wlan by finding wireless APs, but I was unable to asociate with any of them. So I'm guessing that without the aircrack suite reaver is not working as expected.
How did you managed to install the aircrack suite (finding free space)?

Thanks in advance!

(Last edited by mikrostart on 7 Apr 2014, 17:11)

You need to download sources and make your own build, that way u can have all u need - aircrack-ng, macchanger etc .....

there is a lot of info into the wiki about how to build your own compilation from sources. All I can do now is to make backup of my 741nd version 4 firmware and give it to you. You will need to buy one, it is almost same as 740nd + removable antenna.
If you need the firmware let me know

nedoskiv wrote:

You need to download sources and make your own build, that way u can have all u need - aircrack-ng, macchanger etc .....

there is a lot of info into the wiki about how to build your own compilation from sources. All I can do now is to make backup of my 741nd version 4 firmware and give it to you. You will need to buy one, it is almost same as 740nd + removable antenna.
If you need the firmware let me know

Thanks again!

I don't have such experience with building but I'll learn it.
All I need is the list of all packages that you've used, I think you can have it by the opkg command in the console.
Also, can you please, provide me with your exact hardware version of your device: v4.21; v4.23 etc. This is to be able to compare the hardware and the memory layout. In that scenario I can flash your firmware directly on the wr740n, instead of byuing a new one.

Yell I log into my 741nd and looks like I have excluded opkg from the build to save some space so do not know all packages I have included.
It is version 4.24. So I do this:

root@aircrack:/tmp# cat /proc/mtd

dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00020000 00010000 "u-boot"
mtd1: 000e1b64 00010000 "kernel"
mtd2: 002ee49c 00010000 "rootfs"
mtd3: 00050000 00010000 "rootfs_data"
mtd4: 00010000 00010000 "art"
mtd5: 003d0000 00010000 "firmware"

root@aircrack:/tmp# cat /dev/mtd5 > 741nd_v4_24.bin

here is the link for the image:

http://urlstat.eu/741nd_v4_24.bin

As I remember it have luci, unlocked channel 14 for wireless, aircrack  and macchanger. package.  probably and something else to fill up the space. 100k left free to can save some scripts on the device

(Last edited by nedoskiv on 12 Apr 2014, 08:58)

Do not use file in post above, looks like I missed one essential package into the compilation. I'm downloading fresh sources and will make new build. Expect images soon.

nedoskiv wrote:

Do not use file in post above, looks like I missed one essential package into the compilation. I'm downloading fresh sources and will make new build. Expect images soon.

No problems, I'm not in a hurry. Now I'm truing to figure out if there'll be any incompatibilities between the two hardware platforms.
From the system descriptions both seems the same. My 740n is also v4,24.

Can you include reaver.ipk also, if it's not already included in your image.

Also - my one and only linux PC seems death (I haven't used it for a long time), and now I'm trying to install some distro on it (kali is best but so far I can't make it up and running, bacause of the VGA - Hercules 3D Prophet smile).
Without linux I'm unable to build anything.

Best Regards

I spend some time, but for now with no great success - latest releases are bigger than before and is hard to put everything inside. I managed to do it , stripping opkg and mtd  tools it have around 100k free space, but seems openwrt do not handle it well. I post a topic about it, but looks like no replies yet:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50051

(Last edited by nedoskiv on 20 Apr 2014, 08:43)

nedoskiv wrote:

I spend some time, but for now with no great success - latest releases are bigger than before and is hard to put everything inside. I managed to do it , stripping opkg and mtd  tools it have around 100k free space, but seems openwrt do not handle it well. I post a topic about it, but looks like no replies yet:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50051

Maybe we should stick to the older versions. Anyway newer doesn't always mean better, but always means bigger.
What should be the benefit in general use if using newes sources?

The discussion might have continued from here.