OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Asus WL600g

The content of this topic has been archived between 19 Sep 2015 and 3 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi.

Is there a possibility to make wl-600g as a repeater? if yes, could you please give me a link to a firmware with that function?

I've got a problem. I configured my WL-600g's port 1 as a WAN but it doesn't work. The port which works as a WAN is an ethernet port 3. Where is the problem?

There is my config:

config 'switch' 'eth1'
        option 'enable'         '1'
        option 'enable_vlan'    '1'
        option 'reset'          '1'

config 'switch_vlan' 'vlan0'
        option 'vlan'   '0'
        option 'device' 'eth1'
        option 'ports'  '0 2 3 5t'

config 'switch_vlan' 'vlan1'
        option 'vlan'   '1'
        option 'device' 'eth1'
        option 'ports'  '1 5t'

config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname'   'lo'
        option 'proto'    'static'
        option 'ipaddr'   '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask'  '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'type'     'bridge'
        option 'ifname'   'eth1.0'
        option 'proto'    'static'
        option 'ipaddr'   '192.168.1.1'
        option 'netmask'  '255.255.255.0'
        option 'nat'      '1'

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth1.1'
        option 'proto'  'dhcp'    

Port numbers on router are not equal to port numbers of vlan settings. Probably vlan port 1 is ethernet port 4 on router. You should test it out. Set vlan port 3 for wan and check when the router get the ip from ISP.

With the original asus router firmware the singal strenght is good. Isn't there any way to use that drivers in openwrt firmware?

RokX wrote:

With the original asus router firmware the singal strenght is good. Isn't there any way to use that drivers in openwrt firmware?

No. Unfortunately, the closed source drivers are bound to a specific kernel version. While it's theoretically possible to use an older kernel with OpenWrt, or revert back to an older revision of OpenWrt that uses the kernel in question, I haven't seen anyone do that, and it may involve a good bit of work to make all the patches compatible.

I've personally started migrating to the idea that vendor firmwares should be modified or extended. While they are often pieced together hack jobs, their drivers are guaranteed to be the preferred ones, hardware support is full (e.g. hardware  NAT), all features are present, the vendor maintains the firmware (in theory ;p), etc ...

The other day I created a new wiki page on the Firmware Mod Kit to start documenting the process of modifying vendor firmwares . There's really not much there yet, but over time I hope contributors flesh out a good how-to document.

I'm not sure this idea will be so popular here, but if you want to discuss it, I can send you a link for discussion.

(Last edited by db90h on 2 May 2013, 21:38)

db90h wrote:

... I've personally started migrating to the idea that vendor firmwares should be modified or extended. While they are often pieced together hack jobs, their drivers are guaranteed to be the preferred ones, hardware support is full (e.g. hardware  NAT), all features are present, the vendor maintains the firmware (in theory ;p) ...

You, sir, are reading my mind smile

I managed to transform an ADSL router into a normal router with openwrt, but the signal was > null. If I could only edit files in the original firmware.

Can you solve the problem with a very low signal WiFi on OpenWRT?

No. I could not. Probably there will never be a solution to this.

Could you please recommend me the latest firmware with 3g/4g USB-modem support.

The discussion might have continued from here.