OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WDR4310 v1.0 First Steps

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 Oct 2014 and 4 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Well, my TP-Link TP-WDR4300 (Version 1.1) is also working great and absolutely stable without any problems. I'm running Attitute Adjustment Final on it. Like gnassas I do not use USB on it.

(Last edited by wjwj on 8 Jan 2014, 21:24)

MvdL wrote:

Amazing that your experience is so different than mine. What version of the firmware do you have (I have 1.6)?

I have a 1.3 here, not sure about the other sites but they were all purchased within two months of each other.

I don't doubt that you're having trouble but your answer seemed overly broad and without details so I wanted to speak up for the other experience. I see the wiki says 1.6 works with the AA final release so maybe retry with that version going slowly and step by step.

Thanks for putting together the list of links BTW. I only follow this topic so I miss other 4300/4310 discussions.

gnassas wrote:
MvdL wrote:

Amazing that your experience is so different than mine. What version of the firmware do you have (I have 1.6)?

I have a 1.3 here, not sure about the other sites but they were all purchased within two months of each other.

I see the wiki says 1.6 works with the AA final release so maybe retry with that version going slowly and step by step.

Does anyone have v1.6 working with the final AA release?

Who confirmed that AA final is working with v1.6 as stated in the wiki?

greyw0lf wrote:
gnassas wrote:
MvdL wrote:

I see the wiki says 1.6 works with the AA final release so maybe retry with that version going slowly and step by step.

Just got my 4300 yesterday and flashed AA 12.09 ( openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-squashfs-factory.bin ). No errors in the logfiles, 2.4/5ghz wlan works, also has v1.6 sticker at the bottom

gnassas wrote:
MvdL wrote:

I don't doubt that you're having trouble but your answer seemed overly broad and without details so I wanted to speak up for the other experience. I see the wiki says 1.6 works with the AA final release so maybe retry with that version going slowly and step by step.

Thanks for putting together the list of links BTW. I only follow this topic so I miss other 4300/4310 discussions.

My post here probably was rather vague, but if you read the other topics, you can see I've done much of what you suggested. I even soldered on a head to the board so I could connect the serial console (to no avail, btw). Further, my symptoms are vague as well, which does not help much. Perhaps I'll try another rebuild from the latest trunk today and see what it looks like.

kho wrote:
greyw0lf wrote:

Just got my 4300 yesterday and flashed AA 12.09 ( openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-squashfs-factory.bin ). No errors in the logfiles, 2.4/5ghz wlan works, also has v1.6 sticker at the bottom

Thank you, good to hear that, please report if you have some problems with that version after some days running smile

"BARRIER BREAKER (Bleeding Edge, r36935)" on v1.1 hardware, "17:45:56 up 206 days,  3:16,  load average: 0.03, 0.08, 0.06"; I'm just about to reboot it for flashing a new trunk snapshot (no stability issues, but I'm looking to make use of newer IPv6 specific features available in trunk). The hardware is stable and does what I expect from it, so far I never had to reboot it because of it misbehaving in one way or another.

I'm going to get a 4300... curious what version it will be...

Btw. i haven't found yet what is meant by "Wifi toggle trick"? I assume it's just turning the wifi-hardware-switch on the router off and on?

Edit: got a v1.6 4300 and flashed this image:

kho wrote:

going to configure it the next days smile

(Last edited by greyw0lf on 13 Jan 2014, 20:38)

Applied the reghack today, but the wireless range is still ridiculous low, the 5ghz Signal does not even get through the ceiling to the 2nd story.
Still got an wdr3600 with stock firmware around somewhere, going to compare the range in  2 weeks or so.

On the plus side, installing tor/privoxy was a breeze and works great

Hi guys;

Is there any chance to install the "Download Master" (like in the ASUS's latest high-end routers) for the TP-Link TL-WDR4300 ?

As all you know, this is a marvelous feature; Download Master software enables you to download files to attached USB storage devices via services such as FTP and BitTorrent, ed2k while your PC is powered down...

I really liked this unique feature, especially with ed2k network & want this on my beloved WDR4300 too...

for more inf about the marvelous "Download Master" feature watch the youtube video below !

http://youtu.be/Em6Hddyytlw

Tx Power for the 5Ghz Interface seems stuck at 14dBm, for 2.4Ghz at 22dBm, resulting in very poor range, even with reghack.
While more tx power can be selected, it does not get applied after choosing "sae & apply". Using iw manually throws an error for these interfaces driven by ath9k

I installed an usb wifi dongle with zd1211rw driver that does not show this strange behavior. Buy the 4300 only if you dont need fast wlan/wide coverage wink

kho wrote:

Tx Power for the 5Ghz Interface seems stuck at 14dBm, for 2.4Ghz at 22dBm, resulting in very poor range, even with reghack.
Buy the 4300 only if you dont need fast wlan/wide coverage wink

Just curious, how are you measuring the tx power? Is this something I can do easily?

For a contrasting experience: two of my 4300s are at one end of their respective houses and I successfully get signal outside at the far end of their buildings. In both cases I'm going through two or more internal walls and an outside wall. Another one of my 4300s is in a condo and the signal goes through two concrete supporting walls no problem. A fourth one is the kickoff point for a wireless bridge that streams SD video through a floor.

I don't have bitrate statistics but at my home I stream HD video to an iPad without problems. These are all 1.3 devices in case that matters.

Took the tx values from luci / iw. I can select lower values, but choosing any higher values does not take effect.
Aside from the reported tx power, the range pretty much sucks. A 2010 MacBook Pro has difficulties connecting from 6m away, with just a ceiling and a wall in between. Even the ancient zd1211 stick, while not really suited for AP use, gets better coverage.

Maybe its something with the 1.6 Version. I could do some tests with an wdr 3600 that has the same 2.4Ghz subsystem as the wdr 4300, but as i said it will take some time

kho wrote:

Took the tx values from luci / iw

Oh OK, I was hoping you had an oscilloscope or whatever it is professionals use to measure signal strength.

kho wrote:

Aside from the reported tx power, the range pretty much sucks. A 2010 MacBook Pro has difficulties connecting from 6m away, with just a ceiling and a wall in between

I have similar hardware, a 2009 MBP and several vintages of iPad, and have no trouble at 6 to 10 meters. I'm in a North American urban area with 6-12 other APs near me.

kho wrote:

Maybe its something with the 1.6 Version

Unless someone steps forward with a well-performing 1.6 that seems to be the differentiator. Do you have a way to find out if the wireless hardware has changed?

openwrt BB tp4300 1.2 blue led
luci station 1 signal 34 noise 86  station 2 signal 37 noise 86

openwrt BB tp4300 1.6 green led
luci station 1 signal 81 noise 95 station 2 signal 86 noise 95

I just flashed BB 39304 this weekend and it would appear that at least the stability of the wifi has improved (perhaps related to this: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/14418?). The overall signal is still significantly worse as I can see from the windows wifi panel and on my android wifi analyzer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … i.analyzer). Generally it seems to be a difference of about 10db. And that is with upgraded antennas. The APs (my old dd-wrt based WNR3500L and the TP-Link 4300 v1.6) are literally sitting next to each other, so it's hard to imagine that somehow there's more interference.

rankov wrote:

Android tablet ,htc one Wifi Analyzer
tp4300 1.2  -46 dB
tp4300 1.6  -47 dB

Conclusion

RX sensitivity problem not TX power problem

dd-wrt same issue

Dear everyone, i have a question, as you know the cpu of the wdr4310 is 9344,which is mips 74kc , but why the CPU_TYPE in target\linux\ar71xx\Makefile is 34kc?

Hi,
I just got a new WDR4300 v1.7 - a quick search here tells me that this isnt really supported yet by openwrt - but there isnt a lot of information regarding this. Does anyone have any updates/info regarding openwrt and V1.7 of this router? Any idea if this will be supported by openwrt?

Thanks

rankov wrote:

BB 39404 after
https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/39392

luci station 1 signal 59 noise 94 station 2 signal 69 noise 94

I received a v1.7 (as marked on bottom of case next to serial/model #).  I tried to load a recent build of Attitude Adjustment via serial console and tftpboot/loadm.  As reported already, it did not work.  Perhaps someone more knowledgable could decipher the following linked log output to determine the problem.

wdr4300v1.7_openwrt

Edit: I successfully booted r39422 (trunk) on v1.7 WDR4300 just now.  But I could not get r39408 (AA) to boot.

(Last edited by slarew on 30 Jan 2014, 06:01)

i do not understand that "bootm" command.
why are you booting from ram instead of flashing?
is that a ramdisk (initramfs) image??