OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Asus RT-N13U B1 power issues

The content of this topic has been archived on 9 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I was wondering if someone here can point me in the right direction of troubleshooting a power issue that recently cropped up with my Asus RT-N13U B1. It could be powered on for 12hrs to 48hrs, and suddenly for no reason all the lights shut off on the router while it's plugged into the AC outlet. The power adapter works fine with my old Asus WL-520gu with no issues, so I don't think it's that. It's very intermittent. I have a self powered usb hub plugged into it with an external HDD.

After sitting for a half day, I'll supple power to the router again, and it powers up! 12-24hrs later it powers off again with the power adapter plugged in. It is plugged right into a surge protector that stays on 24/7. No other electronics plugged into the surge protector has issues.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Are you using the original power adapter?
Check output of adapter against input requirments of router.

Open the device, and check for swollen elco's, an example of such defect elco:
elco

The top should be nicely flat, not round like above.
If you find such elco, replace it asap smile

Otherwise the power stabilisator on the router could be defect, more difficult to replace.

Regards, DG.

(Last edited by DGDodo on 15 May 2014, 00:23)

The discussion might have continued from here.